San Francisco fishing options for a clueless Aussie

Is there any other species?
y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

San Francisco fishing options for a clueless Aussie

Post by y2k88 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:43 am

Hi all, as luck would have it, I'm going to have the opportunity to hang around Denver and San Francisco in mid late February. Will be my first time in the states, and going to have to work out your tipping culture :lol: .

Was planning on some pretty basic touristy things around these areas, and hitting up a bass pro. But now I'm checking out if there is a reasonable prospect for fishing options in these areas, even if guided. A largemouth or smallie would be cool.

I will do a bit of research over the next couple of days, just wanted to see if someone familiar with these areas can get me started in the right direction.

Cheers

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: San Francisco fishing options for a clueless Aussie

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:57 am

Cal, the global moderator here on TT, lives right in that area. If you don't hear anything, maybe send him a PM.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:26 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:57 am
Cal, the global moderator here on TT, lives right in that area. If you don't hear anything, maybe send him a PM.
Yeah... I got nothing :lol: ... you're about a half a month too early. Largemouth bite really starts picking up in March. Can be had in February for sure, but it's more hit and miss in the CA Delta and Clear Lake.

Surf fishing doesn't pick up for Striper until June.

Maybe some party boat action in the Bay, but I'm not tuned into that. I'd suggest calling Outdoor Pro Shop (see Monster Fishing banner above) and talk to them for more up to date availability. And I'd visit that tackle store over Bass Pro.... or take a 3-4 hour drive south to TackleWarehouse. Bass Pro is impressive for their reputation and layout, but when it comes down to it, actual selection of tackle is very "meh."

If you want to talk to a guide, Vince Borges is a good person to start with, but he may be tied up with show season (click on photo to be taken to his Facebook Business Page):
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:42 am

Awesome, thanks for the info. \:D/
Will have a look at Vince.

Bass pro was more just for the novelty i think. :lol:

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:46 pm

Some duplicate info from what Cal has already posted, but I figure that's okay:

Clear Lake is less than 2 hours away and I've had good days there in mid-Feb. Not awesome days, but you can catch 10+ fish. Tons of guide services if you want to go.

There are also guides for Lake Berryessa, Lake Sonoma etc. I'd hit up them up and get an honest assessment of how much success they think you'll have. Weather will be unpredictable, so it helps if you're flexible.

There are a couple of East Bay lakes that rent out fishing boats if you just want to strike out on your own. Look up Lake Lafayette and Lake Del Valle on Google Maps, for example.

Marin (north of SF, over the Golden Gate) has a lot of lakes to bass-fish in, but it's shore fishing only and you'll need to know your way around a bit. Tons of great hiking as you do it, though. Might still be fun.

I don't know much about the Silicon Valley and South Bay area. Used to live there, but never fished. That's Cal's domain :)

There are a bunch of fishing charters (party boats) available in the area since we have the bay and the ocean. Maybe read through https://fishsniffer.com/ (it's a magazine for local non-bass fishing) for ideas.

The "best" Bass Pro shop in the area is in Manteca. I don't like their selection for pretty much anything, but it's the coolest store. For an actual selection and the kinds of products you see reviewed in TT, I'd visit board sponsor Outdoor Pro Shop ("Monster Tackle") in the North Bay or look up Fisherman's Warehouse (they have three locations in the area). The guys at Outdoor Pro Shop can definitely help out with advice on party boats.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:23 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:46 pm
I don't know much about the Silicon Valley and South Bay area. Used to live there, but never fished. That's Cal's domain :)
Nope.. that's Zander and JIP. I've fished a couple, but I don't really do the local ponds. Delta is just as close for me and I'd rather go there. Clear Lake and the Delta is where it's at if you want quality largemouth.

Berry is a tier below partly because the local services for that lake have gone downhill. Motherlode lakes are at the same tier, but the Delta and Clear Lake are world class. If you're coming from out of town and country, I think that's where you want to go. ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:37 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:46 pm
Some duplicate info from what Cal has already posted, but I figure that's okay:
Awesome mate, thanks for the info. I'll suss out Clear Lake a bit. Sounds like the more straightforward way to go haha.