Skipping with baitcasters.

Is there any other species?
Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Skipping with baitcasters.

Post by Chode » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:15 am

I have a curado 200e7 that I skip with and putting 5 brakes on with spool tension adjusted to my normal casting setting has done wonders...just cast like normal and let the brakes do the work...make sure u do a sidearm cast with the rod almost parallel to the water like skipping a rock sidearm and bring the rod up as u skip it

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:40 am

For me the best setups so far has been a CQ51 2 brakes on CC about 3-4 clicks after zero side play.
12-15lb mono and either the M1 69ml or Steez Flex-lite 6'5".
I cast side arm with about 18-24" drop from tip to bait. Hard to describe but I cast double handed moving rod in a circular motion.
I release when the bait swings at 5 o clock position and first strike about 6-7' in front of me. That's to get the aqua plane effect

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:44 am

Maybe this would show what I mean...need someone to video this...can't show the swing with a head cam
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=164195047117646

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:21 am

Chode wrote:I have a curado 200e7 that I skip with and putting 5 brakes on with spool tension adjusted to my normal casting setting has done wonders...just cast like normal and let the brakes do the work...make sure u do a sidearm cast with the rod almost parallel to the water like skipping a rock sidearm and bring the rod up as u skip it
Is it easier to do with than the e7 than other magnetic braking system reels you may have used? I am still trying to figure out which would be best..

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:12 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:
Chode wrote:I have a curado 200e7 that I skip with and putting 5 brakes on with spool tension adjusted to my normal casting setting has done wonders...just cast like normal and let the brakes do the work...make sure u do a sidearm cast with the rod almost parallel to the water like skipping a rock sidearm and bring the rod up as u skip it
Is it easier to do with than the e7 than other magnetic braking system reels you may have used? I am still trying to figure out which would be best..
I find for ease of skipping a constant mag brake and a light spool is the way to go. Rods wise F = ease of skip Mod= different casting tech but much better accuracy

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:01 am

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:10 am

I don't know how to post a video but there is a real good one on you tube whare he tells you how many brakes to set
the author has a calais non Dc hes turns on 5 out of six and he recomends the tension knob to be set a little bit tighter
than you would set it for pitching. He is pretty good at it he calls is method a skip pitch.

Regards

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:27 am

Pegasus wrote:I don't know how to post a video but there is a real good one on you tube whare he tells you how many brakes to set
the author has a calais non Dc hes turns on 5 out of six and he recomends the tension knob to be set a little bit tighter
than you would set it for pitching. He is pretty good at it he calls is method a skip pitch.

Regards
Yeah I've seen it too, very informative. It took me days to work out how to do it but it'll take me much longer I think to define how to skip baits. I've tried in the past but upon re-reading found it wasn't all too useful at all.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:58 am

Recently tried skipping with a curado 101d. It was very easy and controlled. Set 4 brake shoes out, and loosen the CC knob to the point where the spool can wiggle just slightly side to side. I think it is easier than mag brakes.
Give it a try if you have never before.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:11 am

Mcyl wrote:
Pegasus wrote:I don't know how to post a video but there is a real good one on you tube whare he tells you how many brakes to set

Regards
Yeah I've seen it too, very informative. It took me days to work out how to do it but it'll take me much longer I think to define how to skip baits. I've tried in the past but upon re-reading found it wasn't all too useful at all.
The only problem I have with that setting (5 brakes on), is that it slows down the lure way too much when it's trying to skip across the surface of the water. Although, it is virtually backlash proof with 5 out of the 6 brakes on, it sacrifices too much distance for my taste. I try to set up my brakes to where I can get adequate distance. But that usually requires turning only 3 brakes on, a lot of thumb work and the almost perfect cast where the lure hits the water at the right angle. A lot of variables for it to work for me properly, and I am not even close to being consistent at it.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:33 am

Also, I find that the easiest lure for me to use when trying to skip is a wacky rigged senko-type bait. I can't skip a jig worth crap.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:43 am

bassninja wrote:
Mcyl wrote:

Regards
The only problem I have with that setting (5 brakes on), is that it slows down the lure way too much when it's trying to skip across the surface of the water. Although, it is virtually backlash proof with 5 out of the 6 brakes on, it sacrifices too much distance for my taste. I try to set up my brakes to where I can get adequate distance. But that usually requires turning only 3 brakes on, a lot of thumb work and the almost perfect cast where the lure hits the water at the right angle. A lot of variables for it to work for me properly, and I am not even close to being consistent at it.

try to keep 5 brakes on and work on the tension control I wouldn't go below 4 I use 3 for regular use and get pretty good distance at the same time I don't use too much thumb

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

This post and the one below should be combined...good stuff on both. I like the additional detail from flippinfool:

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44016

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:27 pm

At first I used a spinning outfit then I moved to a casting
I took some berkely big game roll 15# test cause I knew i wuld be respooling

there is definetly a difference between mag brakes and centrifigual brakes. I purchased a scorpion SVS
to try and see if it would give me the best setup. I really havent had much time with it but I am interested to know
who is using that particular reel to skip with?

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:55 am

Pegasus wrote:
bassninja wrote: The only problem I have with that setting (5 brakes on), is that it slows down the lure way too much when it's trying to skip across the surface of the water. Although, it is virtually backlash proof with 5 out of the 6 brakes on, it sacrifices too much distance for my taste. I try to set up my brakes to where I can get adequate distance. But that usually requires turning only 3 brakes on, a lot of thumb work and the almost perfect cast where the lure hits the water at the right angle. A lot of variables for it to work for me properly, and I am not even close to being consistent at it.

try to keep 5 brakes on and work on the tension control I wouldn't go below 4 I use 3 for regular use and get pretty good distance at the same time I don't use too much thumb
Like I said, 5 brakes on is overkill and takes away too much distance for me. For regular casting, 1 brake on will suffice for me most of the time. 2 brakes if there's wind.