Skipping with baitcasters.

Is there any other species?
overdose
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Skipping with baitcasters.

Post by overdose » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:53 am

looks hard(that's what she said :lol: ).... imma need to try it out also ;)

bigfish85
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bigfish85 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:45 am

Some of those Japanese videos are great...and not just for the skipping!

Fashion (New Balance shoes)
Music (Offspring)
Skateboarding
Bass Fishing

Solid.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:33 am

bigfish85 wrote:Some of those Japanese videos are great...and not just for the skipping!

Fashion (New Balance shoes)
Music (Offspring)
Skateboarding
Bass Fishing

Solid.
The cool factor in fishing videos from japan is amazing. Everything must be cool. Casual dressing with style. Performance with easy. What else...

coryjames
Angler
Angler

Post by coryjames » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:10 pm

id love to fish in japan.some of the videos i have seen have some beautiful lakes.wow

coryjames
Angler
Angler

Post by coryjames » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:19 pm

what casting rod is he using?its got tons of flex.

sofinesse
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sofinesse » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:49 am

I believe dude is sponsored by Jackall so its probably on of the Jackall Poison rods, not sure which one though :-k
edit: thats in reference to the rod&reel BOMB video, not sure about the guy in the get the machine gun vid

spicytuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spicytuna » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:10 am

I use a G. Loomis MBR782C 6'6 Med IMX/GLX with a Daiwa Zillion for skipping. I back off the spool tension just so the spool has a little play side to side, and I set the magnetic brakes at "2". I will use this setup to skip 1/4 - 3/8 oz weights. The important thing is that you get the right angle of entry, and a soft rod tip will help you get the speed needed to plane the lure on the water. Towards the end of the cast, you want to lift the rod tip upwards to help clear some line off of the spool and to allow the lure to sink vertically downward into the strike zone.

It takes a lot of practice and patience, and perhaps a few extra spools :lol:

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:04 am

It's all about the angle!

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:00 am

I cannot skip a bait consistently for the life of me. Some attempts have resulted in nice beatiful skips, while others have ended in backlash city. I mainly use centrifugal braking since all of my reels are Shimano. What settings do you Shimano users have set on your reel? - brakes wise and tension knob.

Also, what rod, line, lures and lure size works for you best? Most of my skipping attempts happen on my Dobyns DX703C, 30-pound Sufix 832, with weightless tx-rig senkos, weightless RI sweet beavers and 1/4 to 3/8 oz All-Terrain skipping jigs with whatever trailer I have on at the time. The results are very inconsistent, even with the same lures.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:17 am

I use my D7s to skip mostly with two brakes on and a more conservative pressure on the cast control cap.

I never go over 3/8 and really have my most consistent attempts with pegged trig plastics especially paca craws.

I consider myself a great pitcher so that's the technique I use to skip. After initial contact I usually get another 5-8' on the skip. It took practice and one day it just came to me. Biggest thing is to keep the bait low and focus on your casting target.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:53 pm

Takes extreme skill to consistently skip with a baitcaster without overruns. The thing with baitcasters is they are the better tool over spinning reels for pitching, especially when it comes to accuracy. But when it comes to skipping lures, a spinning reel is the better tool for the job.

When fishing docks with a baitcaster, sometimes skipping is not necessary to get the lure way under the dock. You can do a super low trajectory pitch and the line will make contact with the bottom of the dock and the bait will pendulum way underneath the dock.

Crankbait1007
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crankbait1007 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:50 pm

I want to get this down but for now....i won't put up my spinning reel :big grin:

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:14 am

What works better for skipping? Centrifugal or magnetic?

jwp
Angler
Angler

Post by jwp » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:19 pm

and is there a preferred line? Braid OK?

TBassMaster
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TBassMaster » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:50 pm

IMO, i beleive it has to do with ur rod and how u Roll your wrist. Ive tried skipping with a 6'8 MH XF Cumara, 7'2 M XF Cumara, 7'0 MH F Veritas, & a 7'3 Veritas. Out of all of those rods, my fishing partner and i found it easiest to skip with a 7'2 rod. 7'2 seems the ideal height of a rod. When we were skipping we saw that it was always at the best angle for the bait to hit the water. From this seems that the shorter the rods, the lower ur rod has to be witch was kinda difficult. Then with a taller rod we couldnt find a natural position for the rod to be at a correct angle. We would skip with our rods low, but then it was to low. and wen we tried to skip higher it was not even a skip, it was more of a side arm cast. it all really depends on rod length and how you roll ur wrist. & make sure ur reel setting isnt too loose or too tight!