Skipping with baitcasters.

Is there any other species?
jwp
Angler
Angler

Re: Skipping with baitcasters.

Post by jwp » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:30 am

It also seems that the angler's position on the boat, the boat's layout and the boat's position relative to the cover is also important for successful skipping with a baitcaster. The angler needs to be able to get his rod tip down through the early parts of a cast, so the head of the trolling motor could potentially interfere if the target is perpendicular to the front of the boat. In this case, it would seem advantageous for the nose of the boat to be pointing at the target so the forward casting motion could be unimpeded (the rod would be moving alongside or parrallel to the boat). The boat's layout could be an issue if the angler is in the back and is casting to the left side of the boat for example, and the boat has a double console. In all of these scenarios I'm assuming a side-arm cast.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:45 pm

goldrod wrote:I was watching KVD on flippn and pitch'n for heavy hitters and He discusses equipment and What I notice in the video was he was using a quatum reel and so it really made me wonder.. I've personally never tried with a baitcaster but I would be interested to know.
I recently watched the video, and it's primarily on pitching. I don't recall much on skipping/

He uses Quantum gear because they are one of his sponsors.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:48 pm

spicytuna wrote:I use a G. Loomis MBR782C 6'6 Med IMX/GLX with a Daiwa Zillion for skipping. I back off the spool tension just so the spool has a little play side to side, and I set the magnetic brakes at "2". I will use this setup to skip 1/4 - 3/8 oz weights. The important thing is that you get the right angle of entry, and a soft rod tip will help you get the speed needed to plane the lure on the water. Towards the end of the cast, you want to lift the rod tip upwards to help clear some line off of the spool and to allow the lure to sink vertically downward into the strike zone.

It takes a lot of practice and patience, and perhaps a few extra spools :lol:
That's good advice...BUT, one miscast where the line hits the post or other part of a dock, and you can have a horrible backlash.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:54 pm

I watched the YouTube videos, and the skipping is under tree branches. That's much easier than skipping docks.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:20 am

I try to break the mechanics down and it's worked well for me:

Angle of incident at 15 degs worked well.

So side cast comfortably.. Something you can keep doing. Observe how high the bait is during release, observe its position.
The point of first impact should be 4x the height it's released. Higher angles lead to higher jumps lower angles creates many small skips, between 10-20 worked for me then the rest is trigonometry

Bait: it seem the magic formula is surface area over total weight.

Rod... Whatever length suits you in consistently letting a bait fly. So far I've only used on... And lxc70mf. Will try others soon.

Thumb... No formula there.

fish10x
Angler
Angler

Post by fish10x » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:04 pm

For what its worth i fished with Andy Montgomery last year possibly one of the best dock skippers on the b.a.s.s. tour he told me the best reels to skip with are the ones with the externally adjustable breaking systems. He told me he could not skip with reels internal breaking systems maybe just a personal preference? He did not elaborate but i concur. I cannot skip with internally adjustable reels. As a side note he uses zillions to skip with he said he has been using them for the past six years even before his sponsor ship deal with daiwa.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:33 am

Mcyl wrote:I try to break the mechanics down and it's worked well for me:

mcyl...

a couple of questions...

What are some of your preferred baits?

Do you baitcast to skip under docks?

And I presume an educated thumb is an absolute necessity, yes?

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:50 am

BlaineFred wrote:
Mcyl wrote:I try to break the mechanics down and it's worked well for me:

mcyl...

a couple of questions...

What are some of your preferred baits?

Do you baitcast to skip under docks?

And I presume an educated thumb is an absolute necessity, yes?
Dude, I'm not the right person to ask, I'm still trying to work it all out.

But things that are available in both our countries... Powerbait trouts weedless hooked works for me.
I throw them in mangroves or when small bait fish like mullet gets scrambled.

bass stalker
Angler
Angler

Post by bass stalker » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:11 am

I use a skip/ pitch technique. I use zillion reels. My fishing buddy uses a side arm cast, and uses curado reels. He can skip much further than me with the side arm technique, but I think I am more accurate. The one constant is that it takes a lot of practice! It is something that you continually get better at over years of practice. The reel does not matter so much as the determination of the angler attempting it. It's definitely not something you learn over night, or in a few trips.

vsmpowered
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by vsmpowered » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:30 am

how do i set my chronarch d7 for skipping any advice ill be using 7.3 mh kly rad with fast tip also 40 lbs braid?

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Well a few months after I started I use it quite often now for docks, it also helps stir reaction interest of predatory fish.
I found a shorter, softer more regular rod easier to skip baits on. Currently my favourite is a m1 6'9" but I suppose that depends on height of the boat and person as well.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:28 am

vsmpowered wrote:how do i set my chronarch d7 for skipping any advice ill be using 7.3 mh kly rad with fast tip also 40 lbs braid?
I would put either 4 or 6 of the brakes on and leave the spool tension loose enough that the baitfalls pretty fast. Mag brakes are better for skipping cause they are more consistent with the brake force exerted on spool so you will need to use your thumb quite a bit.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:00 am

crankenstein1 wrote:
vsmpowered wrote:how do i set my chronarch d7 for skipping any advice ill be using 7.3 mh kly rad with fast tip also 40 lbs braid?
I would put either 4 or 6 of the brakes on and leave the spool tension loose enough that the baitfalls pretty fast. Mag brakes are better for skipping cause they are more consistent with the brake force exerted on spool so you will need to use your thumb quite a bit.
I did that at the start but I found I end up throwing harder and things just went down hill. Use standard settings and start gently and focus on a consistent first strike. Remember to never let your thumb off the spool and keep the rod tip up.
I try to have many little skips so it aquaplanes in rather than a few big skips.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:09 am

Mcyl wrote:
crankenstein1 wrote:
I did that at the start but I found I end up throwing harder and things just went down hill. Use standard settings and start gently and focus on a consistent first strike. Remember to never let your thumb off the spool and keep the rod tip up.
I try to have many little skips so it aquaplanes in rather than a few big skips.
I agree with you, but if the spool tension isn't set very tight then it should do fine with 4 brakes. 6 is too many though. I just tried it and it doesn't work so well.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:27 am

Try 2 brakes with just enough CC for a 2s/1m drop of the bait.