Ned Rig CASTING only

Is there any other species?
SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Ned Rig CASTING only

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:12 pm

Favorite Ned combo is Fenwick Aces 70clp+j, 8lb FC Sniper, Shimano Conquest BFS w/ avail 29r spool. Go to ned head is BPS tungsten 3/64oz jig head.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:56 pm

LMSMBassaddict wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:31 pm
I knew there was a place for the likes of my kind. I could cast most medium sized nedrigs and even smaller ones. Sure I won't get as much distance as an ounce football jig but distance is an afterthought.

I actually live in the Midwest. Most people I know use spinning gear. About every 30 people I run into will use a baitcaster. I love casting gear and have since I started using casting gear in the early 2000s. Reels have really come up in quality and technology quite a bit.

My dad is a die hard spinning gear guy. You can't change someone and even if I could I would not. I've learned so much from him and learned to apply it to the way I fish.
Welcome Home!
I dont use spinning much but I have one.. Tuning is just pushing the limits to me and mostly encroaching on what spinning setup is known for.. I have seen some bait cast met and exceed my imagination on how far beyond the scope of a typical baitcaster can go..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:58 pm

SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:12 pm
Favorite Ned combo is Fenwick Aces 70clp+j, 8lb FC Sniper, Shimano Conquest BFS w/ avail 29r spool. Go to ned head is BPS tungsten 3/64oz jig head.
Awesome set up man.
Thats a reel I've always wanted to own. I was looking for a specific conquest last night on a JDM site but its never up there.. either of them. one day though
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LMSMBassaddict
Angler
Angler

Post by LMSMBassaddict » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:16 pm

SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:12 pm
Beautiful. But I don't have to tell you that, you already know \:D/

I do fairly well with the curado k, and honestly a little better with my tatula ctR. They do make 1/4 and up ned jigs and BPS has some I saw that were a half ounce I believe. Casting ned rigs isn't all that complicated because they're built so compact or bullet like.

Y'all have a blessed day :pray:

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:51 pm

I’m honestly amazed at how well the ZPI NRC-001 M spool in my Zillion will throw a 1/16 oz+TRD Ned rig. I spool it about half way with 10-15# braid+10# FC leader and it’s a casting machine. I don’t use that as a dedicated Ned rig but more as a Medium weight, universal bass reel.

My dedicated Ned rig combo is an Abu Garcia ALC-BF7 w/ 10# braid+6# FC leader and a MC Benkei BIC-65UL/BF.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:58 pm

That Shimano conquest BFS is calling me again [-( [-( :whistle: :whistle: i may have to just do it once more.
Anyways seems the general consensus is a rod 7'0" minimum?, I have been contemplating a 6'10' and you may ask if 2 inches makes a difference. I guess to some maybe not and to some it does.. i just like a 6'10"rod ..so i ordered the Abu Garcia Fantasista Premier Casting Rod mL since its on close out at twh and worse case scenario , i'll just sell it.. its my last rod for this year from a store anyways..

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:58 am

The Airy Red spool and 1/10 oz heads with a TRD worked well for me. It didn't like the lighter heads but bombed 1/10 oz short shank heads with TRDs and long shank 1/10 oz heads with a big TRD on 20# braid. Thats 90% of what I throw for ned rigs for large mouths. I'll use the lighter stuff but only to also catch greenies and readears on a slow bite for fun on lighter BFS or trout tackle.

For the 1/20 oz heads and tiny plastics like a 2" z man ned craw I found that I could be useable casting distances out of the Airy Red but it lost out in distance to a cheap "chameleon" spool on aliexpress for the 17 Tatula SV. That spool would cast the lighter baits better and still be more skip friendly than the Airy Red. The Airy Red would still beat it in pure distance with the heavier neds. The linear mag brake Momo spool in my Black Max also did really well with the ligter neds. My Alphas Ray's was up there with the Airy Red in distance but also able to cast the light stuff well.

I've been meaning to get back into ned fishing again after losing my Volkey 68L and Tatula. Not sure what I want yet. It it needs to cast 1/10 oz heads and a big TRD or Hula Stick on the high end and down to a 1/16 oz head and 3" plastic on the lighter end. Gotta have power to collapse wire weed guards and the ability to skip. I throw neds along and under docks a lot.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:01 am

bronzebacks wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:39 pm
Glx 842 alde 50hg and h3 7' m alphas 105 sv
Now I have conquest 842c metanium 150b xg, Phenix k2 714 antries70, glx 842c steez sv tw, and north fork kistler h3 7 m alphas sv tw. l use mostly 1/10 or 1/6 depending on current with trd, ticklerz, trd crawz and missle ned bomb

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:41 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:38 pm
What are you casting your NedRig with ( setup) and how light are you going?
What line size are you using to nedRig with casting equipment or are you using braid?

My idea was to use a pixy Airy red Spool in a pixy variant to nedRig with but that spool doesn't lend itself to such light techniques
I have found a finesse special spool but I wouldn't know if that's the knees for the beegees I have.. I located one PXTR but decided to go in a different direction but I am still wondering if I can do it.. I mean thats what the pixy was made for right?
Im not a TDZ line guide fan on a pixy, is there a significant difference in changing the line guide from a stock pixy to a TDZ?

If the Pixy isn't the prefered reel, thats understandable, because my adlebaran KtF combo is sick.. I can spool it on a cast and honestly I watch every cast because its so easy to spool during casting.. Im on the fence with this one. I have pxtr but I use it for jigs on a dobyns dx745.. its not a pixy as much as it is a mosquito with a lions head..

Thanks for entertaining my ideas..
I have priorities and getting the Antares A is my current priority but, my priorities sometimes get over taken by more inquisitive priorities.
As stated, a Ned rig is really aerodynamic so the light weight is less of a factor with regards to casting ease as long as you have a rod that will load up well.

Try the Airy spool with some faster bearings and 10# braid to leader. I'm betting it'll work well. The PX68 Finesse is a super fun spool and could also work well, you'll just be a little more limited with line capacity.

Personally, I use an SV Light for my Neds and it doesn't disappoint. I do have hybrid GRW spool bearings in it which definitely helps keep it quick. I'm running 10# Maxima braid to a 10# Abrazx leader. The rods I'm using is a 7' 3 piece Ali Express 2-10g deal. It loads well down to 1/16+plastic but I can't speak to the backbone of it, I haven't caught anything big on it yet.

Before I got the SV Light, I was using an Alphas CT SV with GRW stainless bearings and it also did a great job flinging them. 10# Sufix 832 to a 10# Abrazx leader on a 7'6" 3 piece Ali Express ML mod-fast rod. This rod also loads well and has plenty of backbone.

kaiser
Angler
Angler

Post by kaiser » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:05 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:21 am
used an aldebaran bfs xg with the expride 72ml bfs rod and i did really enjoy it. it got lots of back bone, fishes more like a m than ml.
Expride A ML+ gets a nod from me. Beeefy backbone, but has a nice supple tip. I fish neds with this rod paired with a Curado 50e, but have used it with the Aldebaran BFS XG 16. Personally, I found the rod a touch heavy for the Aldebaran as I feel that the rod is happiest at 1/4-1/2oz total weight.

How do you like that set up for larger baits?