Ned Rig CASTING only

Is there any other species?
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Ned Rig CASTING only

Post by goldrod » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:38 pm

What are you casting your NedRig with ( setup) and how light are you going?
What line size are you using to nedRig with casting equipment or are you using braid?

My idea was to use a pixy Airy red Spool in a pixy variant to nedRig with but that spool doesn't lend itself to such light techniques
I have found a finesse special spool but I wouldn't know if that's the knees for the beegees I have.. I located one PXTR but decided to go in a different direction but I am still wondering if I can do it.. I mean thats what the pixy was made for right?
Im not a TDZ line guide fan on a pixy, is there a significant difference in changing the line guide from a stock pixy to a TDZ?

If the Pixy isn't the prefered reel, thats understandable, because my adlebaran KtF combo is sick.. I can spool it on a cast and honestly I watch every cast because its so easy to spool during casting.. Im on the fence with this one. I have pxtr but I use it for jigs on a dobyns dx745.. its not a pixy as much as it is a mosquito with a lions head..

Thanks for entertaining my ideas..
I have priorities and getting the Antares A is my current priority but, my priorities sometimes get over taken by more inquisitive priorities.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Ned Rig CASTING only

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:18 am

The Scorpion BFS is worth looking at. I throw my ned rigs on it, work great. I usually use the 1/15oz head with one of those small Zman Ned tubes.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:21 am

used an aldebaran bfs xg with the expride 72ml bfs rod and i did really enjoy it. it got lots of back bone, fishes more like a m than ml.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:03 am

Are the scorpion bfs and Aldebaran bfs xg stock Or tuned??
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:24 am

My Scorpion BFS is stock
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:42 am

Neds are compact, aerodynamic, and easy to cast. I mostly use an Alphas Air, 8# braid, and a light powered rod, but I've done just as well with a stock SS SV 103, 15# braid, and a ML.

That Alphas Air is the bees knees, though. It'll sling a 1/32 jig head+TRD no problem. I doubt it could be meaningfully out performed by anything else, especially not a Pixy shoehorned into the technique. That reel is much more suitable for the jigs you're tossing with it.
This is the way.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:33 am

poisonokie wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:42 am
Neds are compact, aerodynamic, and easy to cast.
I'll echo PN's sentiment on the casting of Ned's. A 1/5th oz Shroom head with a 2.75 inch TRD weighs around 9 grams and is a wind cheating bullet. No need for true BFS gear, unless you are using the absolute lightest head, even with the 1/10th your at 7 grams.
While fishing a particlar lake in Utah, I refined my Ned set-up for that particular lake. Needed long casts and the ned to drop down in 30ft. of water. I was using said 9 gram Ned program. Because of the depth/distance and having 40-50 yards of line out after the cast, slack and drop, I was religated to using braid to fluro, it was just too much line out to make light straight fluro practical.
I had a few spools that could cast 9 grams really far and still have line left to drop 30 ft.- IS Honeycomb w/air bearing, ZPI M, KTF Neo. All would get the job done in any of my 34mm platforms. The rod was the other key component and I searched high and low for something that could load and launch 5-10 grams and still had enough tip to set a hook in 30ft. of water. Fourtuned my way into to a Fenwich Techna GP 7'4L (really a ML) and it worked out perfectly.
Now, fishing Ned's in FL, I'm guessing your fishing mostly in 10-15ft. of water. You would be perfectly fine with straight 8 or 10# fluro.
Goldie, from you talking about some of your setup's, may I suggest the following:
IS73 with Honeycomb Spool (Air, ZPI or Micro Bearings) 8-10# fluro, mounted on a Kistler H3. You might already have most of this stuff :D
Last edited by Aquaftm45 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:58 am

:lol:

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:19 pm

all my aldebaran are stock bearings. i do have some minor cosmetic changes

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:12 am

Alderbaran BFS XG stock, paired with a UL Major Craft Go Emotion
Red Pixilla paired with Posion Glorious Cover Trap
Alderbaran BFS XG paired with NRX 842MBR
Supertuned Yellow Pixy with Ray studio honeycomb spool paired with a Super Eiger for heavier NEDs
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:15 am

zodiak311 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:12 am
Supertuned Yellow Pixy with Ray studio honeycomb spool paired with a Super Eiger for heavier NEDs
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:25 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:15 am
zodiak311 wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:58 pm

zodiak311 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:25 pm
goldrod wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:15 am
zodiak311 wrote:
Thats a John Wick line up.. :big grin:

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:57 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:38 pm
What are you casting your NedRig with ( setup) and how light are you going?
What line size are you using to nedRig with casting equipment or are you using braid?

My idea was to use a pixy Airy red Spool in a pixy variant to nedRig with but that spool doesn't lend itself to such light techniques
I have found a finesse special spool but I wouldn't know if that's the knees for the beegees I have.. I located one PXTR but decided to go in a different direction but I am still wondering if I can do it.. I mean thats what the pixy was made for right?
Im not a TDZ line guide fan on a pixy, is there a significant difference in changing the line guide from a stock pixy to a TDZ?

If the Pixy isn't the prefered reel, thats understandable, because my adlebaran KtF combo is sick.. I can spool it on a cast and honestly I watch every cast because its so easy to spool during casting.. Im on the fence with this one. I have pxtr but I use it for jigs on a dobyns dx745.. its not a pixy as much as it is a mosquito with a lions head..

Thanks for entertaining my ideas..
I have priorities and getting the Antares A is my current priority but, my priorities sometimes get over taken by more inquisitive priorities.
You gonna be disappointed after you see this lol. Actually for Ned rig, your yumeya spool should handle that just fine or even the one you sold me lol. I don’t really see the need to go all the way to BFS. Before this I used stock scorpion 70 with ML rod, now Majorcraft Benkei Light is more than enough and cast a mile.
Attachments
D438B65E-2231-411B-B316-06E4950712C1.jpeg
D438B65E-2231-411B-B316-06E4950712C1.jpeg (84.11 KiB) Viewed 15729 times

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:00 pm

You should really try your stock spool pixy airy red, the only thing I would upgrade is carbon fiber smooth drag.