Catching Bass in Deep grass

Is there any other species?
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Catching Bass in Deep grass

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:58 pm

I imagine that I’m Like most people in that when I am trying to learn a specific technique I goto online videos and watch them , take notes and adjust tackle and head out the next day. I’ve watch Greg Hackney fish deep grass with a jig and I’m talking deep enough where power poles are irrelevant. I can find the cover and pitch to it but I’m not getting bit.

I’ve tried a small JDM tungsten jig and it was small and I stroked it and got my heart broken when I got bit unexpectedly. I guess it was so violent of a bite that I shouldn’t say unexpectedly but rather that the fish startled me when he did bite and it was a Tree Shaker. Lol but it broke my line.

So I went to the opposite side of the spectrum and went big plastic and am still trying to work it. It seems like they bite the appendages but maybe the body and hook is buried in the grass and when I set the hook I get nothing.

I’ve made a full circle turn and have gone to the mat Herren jig with a RI trailer. I’m looking for results this weekend

Have you ever encounter a situation or bite like described? What was your approach? I’m thinking of rigging a bellows gill on a drop shot esp now that they have the smaller size ones but I don’t want the little dinks, so I better use the next size up.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Catching Bass in Deep grass

Post by sarcazmo » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:42 am

Well I had a similar experience this summer but not quite the same.

Was fishing submerged grass 10-12 feet. I was catching the heck out of them on a drop shot. I was throwing 6lb line and a 1/0 rebarb hook with a 6inch robo worm. It would get hung in the grass, you'd pop it free and they'd get it.

I had success dragging creatures wit a texas rig too, but when they got finicky or were short striking the drop shot worked. I know counter intuitive to use light line in fairly heavy cover but it worked.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Catching Bass in Deep grass

Post by goldrod » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:30 am

sarcazmo wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:42 am
Well I had a similar experience this summer but not quite the same.

Was fishing submerged grass 10-12 feet. I was catching the heck out of them on a drop shot. I was throwing 6lb line and a 1/0 rebarb hook with a 6inch robo worm. It would get hung in the grass, you'd pop it free and they'd get it.

I had success dragging creatures wit a texas rig too, but when they got finicky or were short striking the drop shot worked. I know counter intuitive to use light line in fairly heavy cover but it worked.

I went to a lizard and not just for the spawn
I got and get bit. I like the bellows worm but it’s a BIG HEAVY WORM
Need to step my game up for that worm
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible