High Speed reel for deep cranking?

Is there any other species?
dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

High Speed reel for deep cranking?

Post by dustlane » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:57 pm

Anyone use a high speed reel for deep cranks like the 6XD and 10XD? I've been using a 6.3:1 for a couple years with good luck but that reel is worn out and I got a great deal on a Curado 200K in 7.4:1. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet so I have no idea how it will work out. I can't stand the lower ratios for deep cranking. Every other reel I own is at least a 7 or 8 ratio but i've never tried one of those for my deep cranks. Anybody out there using the fast reels for the big deep cranks?

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: High Speed reel for deep cranking?

Post by poot04 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:30 am

Take one of your high speed reels and give it a shot. Keith combs fishes his deep cranks on a high speed and he is a beast at deep cranking

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:21 am

Just did it yesterday with a Curado K. I don’t hate it. I actually ordered a Shimano Tranx 200 HG. That should do it We’ll see.

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:29 am

I would think that is a perfect reel for the situation. I have the 300 tranx and it’s not nearly as big as I thought it was going to be. I got for chucking some Hudds and defiants but haven’t used it yet.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun May 17, 2020 10:15 am

The “perfect” deep crankin’ reel debate has been going on for 50 years, maybe more. There was a guy out of Denmark who had the ultimate Ambassadeur website but I think it’s down now.
Anyway, the original rr for Ambassadeur was 3.6:1, then 4.7:1, 5.7:1, etc. Each has it’s promoters and detractors with evidence. Personally, I think the rod has as much to do with fishing a crankbait as the reel. That is from my limited personal experience with deep diving crankbaits to 18’.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:53 am

I've cranked with 8 before, but a beefy brass geared 8.

Gets down to the strike zone instantly but I don't do it often to know the longevity of this

shadybanks
Angler
Angler

Post by shadybanks » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:09 am

I prefer a higher speed 7:1 reel for deep divers but still use a slower 5:1 for most of my shallow and medium divers and even lipless cranks.

I mostly use a burn-stop-burn retrieve when fishing deep cranks and the higher gear ratio makes it easier to fish like that. I haven't noticed any of my cranking reels wearing out or getting geary but I mostly fish more "finesse" deep cranks like the MB Deep Six, BigM 7.5's and Spro deep divers.

I usually only use 8 and 10XD's to show them something different, like the first or last cast to a school. I use a Tranx 300 for them and it is a 5.8:1 but it is a 30 inch per crank like the 7:1 of the smaller reels.

ra2bach
Angler
Angler

Post by ra2bach » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:40 am

shadybanks wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:09 am
I prefer a higher speed 7:1 reel for deep divers but still use a slower 5:1 for most of my shallow and medium divers and even lipless cranks.

I mostly use a burn-stop-burn retrieve when fishing deep cranks and the higher gear ratio makes it easier to fish like that. I haven't noticed any of my cranking reels wearing out or getting geary but I mostly fish more "finesse" deep cranks like the MB Deep Six, BigM 7.5's and Spro deep divers.

I usually only use 8 and 10XD's to show them something different, like the first or last cast to a school. I use a Tranx 300 for them and it is a 5.8:1 but it is a 30 inch per crank like the 7:1 of the smaller reels.
Right. I'm glad you said that about the inch/turn. a 300 size reel takes up line much faster than a 200 with the same gear ratio. My Curado 300 6.6:1 is actually 35"IPT. just based on the gear ratio, I thought it would be slow/medium speed...