Index finger when holding bass?

Is there any other species?
MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Index finger when holding bass?

Post by MCROUT14 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:09 am

While browsing social media one thing I noticed when looking at pictures of people holding fish is that some people stick their index finger out or don't grasp the fish with the index but rather with the middle finger. After I noticed this I realized I do it myself and began to ask why? Do you guys think if holding a fish with one hand that grasping with the index puts more stress/torque on the fishes jaw rather than grasping with another (middle) finger?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Index finger when holding bass?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:31 pm

My wife makes fun of me because I unintentionally stick out my pinky finger when doing or holding most anything. That finger doesn't provide a lot of strength, and probably not much support either.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:43 am

MCROUT14 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:09 am
While browsing social media one thing I noticed when looking at pictures of people holding fish is that some people stick their index finger out or don't grasp the fish with the index but rather with the middle finger. After I noticed this I realized I do it myself and began to ask why? Do you guys think if holding a fish with one hand that grasping with the index puts more stress/torque on the fishes jaw rather than grasping with another (middle) finger?
Are you saying putting you thumb in the basses mouth, and pointing your index finger out having your middle finger hitting ubder the fishes jaw?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 am

I put thumb in mouth and a "fisted" index finger on the other side. Imagine a politician's soft point.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing