Rod and BC Reel for Max Jerkbait Distance

Is there any other species?
amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Rod and BC Reel for Max Jerkbait Distance

Post by amso4 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:49 pm

I am fishing jerkbaits in a lake from the shoreline that requires the longest cast possible to get out past the grass. I have been using a 7' 7" Phenix spinning rod and a Daiwa LT spinning reel with 12lb SX-1 braid. I have found that the Ito Shiner 1/2oz is the longest casting jerkbait and it gets bit in my lake. I can cast my guess is probably 40 yds. The Ito Shiner can really fly a long way.
My goal is to be able to get the same casting distance with a baitcaster. My first try was using a Aldebaren 30 on a 7'9" NFC delta rod I made and using 15lb braid. I could get almost as long a cast, but it was really pushing the limits.

I am curious what others would use to accomplish this task. I have many other reels and rods to use, but am looking some ideas. Other reels that I might consider trying are Aldebaren BFS, Metanium B, Curado 70, Pixy, Alphas CT SV 70, Alphas Air TW, Alphas SV105 or something else.

What would you use?

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Rod and BC Reel for Max Jerkbait Distance

Post by Cracker » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:48 pm

From this list I would go with the Met.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Rod and BC Reel for Max Jerkbait Distance

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:57 pm

SV light limited since I’m using light line anyways
SsSv with G1 spool ( bombs)
TDZ 103H RCS 1016 G1 spool
2015 aldebaran is really good

I have used a PX68 tuned and Airy red spool
It’s really good too
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible