Shift from Jigs to creature setup

Is there any other species?
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Shift from Jigs to creature setup

Post by goldrod » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:08 pm

Are your jig setup the same as your creature bait setup?
If so where do you differ ( rod , reel, line etc) ?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shift from Jigs to creature setup

Post by Drakestar » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:18 pm

Depends on how you fish the creature bait, I guess, but generally my jig rods are heavier (i.e. F6-FMJ) while creature baits are fished on a light t-rig (1/8oz or 3/16oz bullet weight) or lighter c-rig (up to 1/2oz). Using a 3-power rod for those rigs (GLX 843, Zbone 733). Is that what you're thinking about? If I was dragging a heavier c-rig in 20+ feet of water I'd go to a heavier jig-like rod, of course.

Same for line, typically 50lbs braid to 14-18lbs leader for jigs, lighter setup (i.e. 30 to 12) for t and c-rigged creatures (when covering plains, not in deep water).

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:50 pm

I use about the same tackle for both jigs and creatures, the difference is really where I will be fishing them and how fast I need to be moving. Heavier soft cover and faster fishing the t-rigged creature gets the nod as I can spend more time fishing and less time un-snagging or cleaning snot off the lure. Hard cover and slower days I prefer a jig as I get better hooks sets with them.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:34 pm

Sorry for the late reply but
Thanks for the information. Kinda what I was thinking
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible