Pro Angler

Free Rig DoLive SS Gill

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:51 pm

Are you using a
medium
Medium/ medium heavy
Medium heavy
Rod ?

How’s this particular bait preformed for you?
I ordered some just to see if I like it. Most places are out of them
So I had to go a little different route to get them
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Free Rig DoLive SS Gill

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:11 pm

Depends on weight and rigging technique. I throw mine on a true medium, lightest weight I can get away with. Tons of action on the fall, where I get the majority of my strikes. The Jackall Honey Nugget is another awesome bait. They both slide, dart, and shimmy very well. Just match the rod and line to the terminal tackle you're using at the time.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:03 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:11 pm
Depends on weight and rigging technique. I throw mine on a true medium, lightest weight I can get away with. Tons of action on the fall, where I get the majority of my strikes. The Jackall Honey Nugget is another awesome bait. They both slide, dart, and shimmy very well. Just match the rod and line to the terminal tackle you're using at the time.
I have been considering this edge rod black widow MBR 704 rod
as a free rig rod. It’s been good for a lot of things but what is it great for I my goal
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:17 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:11 pm
I'm going to revisit this technique as the weather has cooled and I have ordered some SS Gills and Bull flats of various sizes. I may switch rods out but I need to settle on a good hook.. Any line size and hook starting points?
Thanks in advance

I used to hope for time to get out on the water now I am going to make time
soon as I complete this honey do list.. ](*,) ](*,)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:24 pm

Tell me it’s me.
Cause man something is a rye.

I’m using a medium rod. I think I need a medium heavy

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:33 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:17 pm
I'm going to revisit this technique as the weather has cooled
Is this considered a cold water technique?

I've got a lot of free rig baits, purchased with free rigging in mind...never got around to throwing them lol

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:50 pm

reason162 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:33 pm
goldrod wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:17 pm
I'm going to revisit this technique as the weather has cooled
Is this considered a cold water technique?

I've got a lot of free rig baits, purchased with free rigging in mind...never got around to throwing them lol
Slow technique/presentation. I could definitely see how it could produce better than some other stuff during the cold months.

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:10 am

I have actually found that I like using a heavier rod to free rig gill type lures. They have a ton of plastic to have to drive the hook through. Also I find this technique best in post spawn until water temps drop back below 50 degrees.