Chunks vs Full Jig Trailers

Is there any other species?
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Chunks vs Full Jig Trailers

Post by Drakestar » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:11 pm

When do you use either one on your jigs and why?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chunks vs Full Jig Trailers

Post by toddmc » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:06 pm

The chunks without much action were always a winter thing when the fish tend to want less action. The bulkier trailers with more action will both slow your fall and provide more action for when the fish are more active. The bulkier trailers can also keep a swimjig/moving bait higher in the water column on the retrieve. Try em all until you find what works! :D

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:55 am

Yeah I'm wondering if I should try chunks more. I've always understood them as a replacement for pork after that supply died out, but I'm fishing round rubber jigs with dead action trailers (usually just a Beaver) in cold water, rather than use dead action chunks. That bite is pretty much over anyway, now. As the water warms up (and because I've seen people on Clear Lake throw jugs with chunks even in the summer) I'm wondering if it's "a thing" to consider year around.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:22 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:55 am
Yeah I'm wondering if I should try chunks more. I've always understood them as a replacement for pork after that supply died out, but I'm fishing round rubber jigs with dead action trailers (usually just a Beaver) in cold water, rather than use dead action chunks. That bite is pretty much over anyway, now. As the water warms up (and because I've seen people on Clear Lake throw jugs with chunks even in the summer) I'm wondering if it's "a thing" to consider year around.
I wouldn't overthink it. I've caught jig fish with all kinds of trailers in all kinds of water temperatures. Every local that I see at Clear Lake seems to be throwing beavery style trailers. They catch fish all year. I generally throw a Yamamoto double tail grub in the summer and a plain craw or chunk in the winter.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:00 pm

I know which one Northern Pike like more ;)
1-2%

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:26 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:00 pm
I know which one Northern Pike like more ;)
I give me nightmares thinking about all the tackle that you Northerners lose to toothy critters! :D I would be afraid to throw half of my tackle.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:18 pm

if your trailer moves pike will smash it.

chunk works better for bass.

if they weren't buried I'd show you what jerk baits look like thrown in pike water, lol.

Paca Craws are deadly...until the craws keep getting bit off, lol. Stinky pike :)
1-2%

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Tue May 03, 2022 9:11 am

I was never much of a chunk fan until I started using Z-Man BatWingZ couple years ago. I wanted to try something more subtle for early spring. I am 100% sold on them, and I may use them all year long. I don't even carry other chunks anymore. I really think it is the buoyancy of the claws rising up when it hits bottom. Claws have a nice, subtle flutter when you separate them. If you want no action, leave the claws connected.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue May 03, 2022 2:11 pm

eyra_kid wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:11 am
I was never much of a chunk fan until I started using Z-Man BatWingZ couple years ago. I wanted to try something more subtle for early spring. I am 100% sold on them, and I may use them all year long. I don't even carry other chunks anymore. I really think it is the buoyancy of the claws rising up when it hits bottom. Claws have a nice, subtle flutter when you separate them. If you want no action, leave the claws connected.
Can you use SpikeIt dyes on those Z-Man baits?

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:58 am

mark poulson wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:11 pm
eyra_kid wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:11 am
Can you use SpikeIt dyes on those Z-Man baits?
Sorry for the delayed reply. No unfortunately. You might be able to get a little color in a thick bait like a ZinkerZ or Finesse WormZ, but anything with thin appendages will dissolve in JJ's or Spike-It. I've tried Bait Paint, but it only works so-so. I've been bugging my contacts for awhile that we need a compatible dye.

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:22 pm

I second the nod to the batwingz. I don't catch a ton of fish with jigs, but both my fish over 6 came on a jig in the wintertime with a batwingz trailer on it. It has to be the floaty wingz, and the little to no action. To answer the original question, I usually pick a chunk when I want the jig to have a bigger presence. I'll put a full craw trailer if I want to thread a plastic up the keeper, that way it makes a more compact morsel.