What is your bass fishing identity?

Is there any other species?

Go big or go home, it's all about the swimbaits for me.
6%
I actually prefer to catch fish, but hate spinning gear. Bait Finesse System (BFS) is the way.
11%
My tackle box needs wheels because I'm prepared for every situation with my conventional tackle.
33%
I identify with at least two out of the three scenarios above
17%
I don't discriminate. I am all three of those bass fishermen.
33%

Total votes: 36

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:56 am

With all the different ways to catch primarily largemouth bass, some anglers seem to gravitate to specific approaches. Do you follow this tendency or are you more well rounded in your pursuit of these green fish? As with all polls, this one is a bit imperfect, but fill in the circle that best describes your approach to bass fishing. 8-)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What is your bass fishing identity?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:36 am

I like BFS of course but, I also LOVE deep cranking, frogging and punching. No happy medium 😂
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:09 pm

I chose the BFS option, though I have some MH and H rods, too. Theres a time and place for most techniques, but my private ponds will consistently produce fish with small baits vs larger baits, so I find myself with light and ML setups most of the time.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:47 am

I dont identify with any choice.
dont throw big swimbaits
dont hate spinning gear
dont have huge tackle boxes of gear- use a relatively small tackle bag 9"x12" for most outings

I did choose 'go big go home' cause I used a 3.8" keitech swing impact fat to catch my PB bass.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:34 pm

Borderline finesse only. I use heavier stuff when it works, but I always approach our fishing with lighter tackle. I fish our river so I normally start with a 3", 3.3", or 3.5" Keitech (Easy Shiner or Swing Impact Fat). I also might try a shaky head first, small Texas rigged creature, shallow-mid diving crank, etc. Just tackle that works best on a Medium or Medium Light, have 11 casting setups and 3 spinning at the moment.

The only time I throw heavier stuff would be a deeper crank (or big squarebill), Carolina rig, chatterbait, and larger Keitech (above the 4.8" size). There are probably a few I am missing, but anyone could probably answer this question better by asking themselves: If you could only take one setup and 3 lures what would they be?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:50 am

Given a choice I prefer to power fish 1/2-1.5 oz lures of all types, but mostly moving open hooks.

I adjust to ML/L and BFS as dictated by the water condition, size of forage, available gamefish, weather.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:48 pm

I tried the swimbait thing. Could have liked it BUT the lake was not within casting of the poor house.

I know when to use spinning gear out of necessity because I’m originally from NJ.

Love using heavy tackle for cranks and frogs BUT lighter tackle for poppers and small walking baits.

I like big bass and I cannot lie!

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:02 pm

I'm definitely about the big swimbaits and will use them most of the year first. If they don't produce then I'll start moving down the line of other stuff.

Basspastor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basspastor » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:04 pm

I'm 53 years old single guy, and my only vice is fishing. I have the tackle for almost everything, but I prefer to fish frogs/toads on top. I'm up before the sun rises and fishing as it goes down. Rarely fish between noon and 5 PM unless I am fishing a tournament.
Bass Pundit Blog

A42pb2
Angler
Angler

Post by A42pb2 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:47 pm

I’m getting to the point of my life where I just get out for a couple of hours in the morning for some topwater also