Presentation for big bass actively chasing smaller bass

Is there any other species?
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Presentation for big bass actively chasing smaller bass

Post by dragon1 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:54 pm

I witnessed a largemouth about 4-5 + today just beating that crap out of a smaller ~ 7-8" bass on the surface. There was a lot of commotion on the surface of the water so I went to check it out, as I literally thought it was a beaver or other mammal thrashing on top. As I watched this live hunt in action, I cast a small walking bait in the path of the slow moving injured smaller bass, hoping to gain the attention of the big bass, but the smaller bass swam off into deeper water, and the larger bass followed it.

FWIW, that big female hit and thrashed on that smaller bass at least a half dozen times, I'm sure to stun it before consuming.

What would you have done to try and get the big female to react and possible eat your presentation?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Presentation for big bass actively chasing smaller bass

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:10 am

dragon1 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:54 pm
I witnessed a largemouth about 4-5 + today just beating that crap out of a smaller ~ 7-8" bass on the surface. There was a lot of commotion on the surface of the water so I went to check it out, as I literally thought it was a beaver or other mammal thrashing on top. As I watched this live hunt in action, I cast a small walking bait in the path of the slow moving injured smaller bass, hoping to gain the attention of the big bass, but the smaller bass swam off into deeper water, and the larger bass followed it.

FWIW, that big female hit and thrashed on that smaller bass at least a half dozen times, I'm sure to stun it before consuming.

What would you have done to try and get the big female to react and possible eat your presentation?
Maybe a larger Keitech rigged weightless and burned near the top of the water column? A floating hard bait might trigger them too, even without a bass pattern or shape.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:42 am

Yeah, I only had some lighter gear with me and the larger baits I had were walking Topwaters and I didn't have the time to dig through my tackle box to change out, honestly.

I'm thinking a longer skinny wake bait like a Mikey would have been doable as well, regardless it's all about getting the attention of the big bass while she was on the "blood trail". This means I need to really work on bait placement as well.

One thing I can do is fish bigger baits for bigger bites although it will be fewer throughout the day, but it'll match the big gizzard shad that are spawning right now.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Preston
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Preston » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:55 am

Just my experience with bass in that situation seems to be a total coin flip. That female was on a rampage for some reason, hunger, instinct, fun, that monthly time :mrgreen: Who knows.

For me I go with what ever I have tied on that has the most action and commotion. Likely a gill glide, preferable one with a tighter, erratic action, but I've been a similar situation and only had a creature bait tied on, and that worked sometimes. IMO those active fish can fired up for anything that catches their eye or completely 100% tunnel vision on that one target. That's why I feel it's a coin flip on catching them.

Had 3lber do that in a pond about 15' from my yak. I was flipping over hanging trees. Threw the creature bait just passed the commotion and swam it. Got absolutely thumped twice, but there wasn't any weight to swing on. 3rd thump was lighter and then all weight. I swung and stuck that one.

I was bed fishing river smallies in very shallow, clear water. Heard a ton of commotion. Just rapid and repeat splash and thrash. I look over and can see a smallie just going crazy. Then I see a tiny goby leap out of the water and onto a dry rock. The moment I realize the goby is now thrashing on the dry rock out of the water, the smallie comes fully out of the water and onto the rock. Now they are both thrashing on the rock and out of the water. Watching this was a special and bizarre treat. As fast as they were out of the water, they wiggle off the rock and back in the water. Of course I threw my nedrig over there and instantly got hit by that smallie. It was a small male guarding a bed.

Honestly though, I seem to try and catch more of those swirling fish than I actually do.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:53 am

Preston wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:55 am
Just my experience with bass in that situation seems to be a total coin flip. That female was on a rampage for some reason, hunger, instinct, fun, that monthly time :mrgreen: Who knows.

For me I go with what ever I have tied on that has the most action and commotion. Likely a gill glide, preferable one with a tighter, erratic action, but I've been a similar situation and only had a creature bait tied on, and that worked sometimes. IMO those active fish can fired up for anything that catches their eye or completely 100% tunnel vision on that one target. That's why I feel it's a coin flip on catching them.

Had 3lber do that in a pond about 15' from my yak. I was flipping over hanging trees. Threw the creature bait just passed the commotion and swam it. Got absolutely thumped twice, but there wasn't any weight to swing on. 3rd thump was lighter and then all weight. I swung and stuck that one.

I was bed fishing river smallies in very shallow, clear water. Heard a ton of commotion. Just rapid and repeat splash and thrash. I look over and can see a smallie just going crazy. Then I see a tiny goby leap out of the water and onto a dry rock. The moment I realize the goby is now thrashing on the dry rock out of the water, the smallie comes fully out of the water and onto the rock. Now they are both thrashing on the rock and out of the water. Watching this was a special and bizarre treat. As fast as they were out of the water, they wiggle off the rock and back in the water. Of course I threw my nedrig over there and instantly got hit by that smallie. It was a small male guarding a bed.

Honestly though, I seem to try and catch more of those swirling fish than I actually do.
Haha great stuff and thanks for your input...and yeppers, coulda just been dat time 'o da month. 8-)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:23 pm

I've witnessed this same type of activity a few times. Tried different baits, but couldn't divert attention. I'm not sure anything in particular would necessarily work, other than dumb luck.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:09 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:23 pm
I've witnessed this same type of activity a few times. Tried different baits, but couldn't divert attention. I'm not sure anything in particular would necessarily work, other than dumb luck.
Yeppers, sometimes you just gotta get lucky brother, no way around it fosho.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:05 am

F**kin’ M-80. OHHHHHH, you wanted to catch’em? :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:46 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:05 am
F**kin’ M-80. OHHHHHH, you wanted to catch’em? :lol:
Lol...hells yeah Mango! They ain't just for upsidedown metal trash cans!

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:29 pm

I've had decent success with a donkey rig in this situation, double fluke rig, Zoom makes a good bass color fluke. It looks like a couple bait fish fleeing.

shadybanks
Angler
Angler

Post by shadybanks » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:32 pm

I don't have an answer for a specific bait but whatever I use I dip the tips in black dye to resemble a bass. It seems to work when a mayfly hatch is going on and larger bass seem to be targeting smaller bass and gills.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu May 18, 2023 1:33 pm

shadybanks wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:32 pm
I don't have an answer for a specific bait but whatever I use I dip the tips in black dye to resemble a bass. It seems to work when a mayfly hatch is going on and larger bass seem to be targeting smaller bass and gills.
Hmmm, interesting but makes sense.

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:59 pm

Rebel Pop-r should get the job done! Light twitch the bait....IMO

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:47 pm

FWIW fellas, I ended catching a couple large female bass in this vicinity tossing a greenish striped Jackall Mikey within a couple weeks of witnessing this occurrence.

At least I know some of the larger wakes do work during this period.