When's the last time....

Is there any other species?
DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

When's the last time....

Post by DarkShadow » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:56 am

...that you backlashed where you couldn't take it out and had to cut line?

During a cold morning a few days ago where I couldn't feel my fingers, I got a goooood bird's nest. But, I successfully picked it all out and while doing so, my buddy and I start to talking and I can actually remember the last time I had to take scissors to a backlash, and that was about 15 years ago at Lake Havasu.

I had JUST purchased a new spool of Toray Superhard Upgrade FC and had spooled it onto my Core50 and decided to fling my bait into a 40 mile an hour wind gust.

That was $40 down the drain.

=D>

I know with the advent of DC type reels, and advances in just simple braking systems is making a backlash the thing of the past, but when was the last time you had to break out the scissors and then ultimately put the set up away because you had to cut 80% of your line?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: When's the last time....

Post by Cal » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:21 am

Happens to me a few times a year usually when fishing a new reel and I forget to turn the brakes all the way up on the first cast. You'd think after close to 20 years doing this, I'd remember, but noooo :lol:

Recently, I've discovered, if I open the sideplate and slide the spool out, I can pull the line sideways off the spool and recover the funky knots. I've done this a couple of times with the hollow braid.

Two years ago, I cut the hollow braid to clear a backlash on a couple of reels, and then just spliced in the filler. Quite convenient :)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:16 pm

I got my first Ambassadeur 5500 Christmas 1974. First backlash, a few days later. Last backlash that needed to be cut? A couple weeks ago. #AlmostHalfACenturyOfBacklash
Last edited by Johnny A on Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:52 pm

I haven't done this for years, usually it's when I snag a branch or other object on an overhand backcast. Usually, I can stop the spool on time during sidearm and underhand casts.

Last one I can remember where I had to cut off the line was when I was using my TDZ Type R power casting lipless baits and I snagged a branch on the backcast.

Does suck when it happens and is "memorable" for all the wrong reasons. Lol
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:32 pm

Did it 3 times in one day.
Was fishing with a Bud with 3 of us on the boat. I was fishing the back and 2 on the front deck.
My one Bud had never fished on a boat before and was casting anywhere and everywhere. 3 times I hooked his line while casting. After the first time I should have known to look before I cast, so some of it was my fault, I just wasn't used to someone off the front deck casting backwards over my shoulder. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:14 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:52 pm
usually it's when I snag a branch or other object on an overhand backcast.
Those have been the 'close calls' throughout the years. Luckily, being so short makes me linger below the canopy. :-D

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:19 pm

DarkShadow wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:14 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:52 pm
usually it's when I snag a branch or other object on an overhand backcast.
Those have been the 'close calls' throughout the years. Luckily, being so short makes me linger below the canopy. :-D
Lol...Universal Blessings in disguise my friend.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:21 pm

a1712 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:32 pm
Was fishing with a Bud with 3 of us on the boat. I was fishing the back and 2 on the front deck.
My one Bud had never fished on a boat before and was casting anywhere and everywhere. 3 times I hooked his line while casting. After the first time I should have known to look before I cast, so some of it was my fault, I just wasn't used to someone off the front deck casting backwards over my shoulder. Brian.
LMAO...had to be a good buddy to avoid your wrath, or at least avoid bringing up some irk on that day.

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:16 am

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:21 pm
a1712 wrote:
LMAO...had to be a good buddy to avoid your wrath, or at least avoid bringing up some irk on that day.
He apologized profusely and brought me a bulk spool of line, so we're good. Ah, we were good anyway. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:05 am

a1712 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:16 am
dragon1 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:21 pm
a1712 wrote:
He apologized profusely and brought me a bulk spool of line, so we're good. Ah, we were good anyway. Brian.
That's a good thing among true friends. 8-)

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:07 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:19 pm
Yeah, except when I float tube. I can barely look over the water line.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:13 pm

DarkShadow wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:07 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Sounds like you need to add a booster to your tube? There are advantages, I'm about 5'10" and my younger brother is 4'11"...if we were to have met Dolly in her prime, I'm sure his eye level greeting might have been a bit more memorable mine. :mrgreen:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:37 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:13 pm
DarkShadow wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
Sounds like you need to add a booster to your tube? There are advantages, I'm about 5'10" and my younger brother is 4'11"...if we were to have met Dolly in her prime, I'm sure his eye level greeting might have been a bit more memorable mine. :mrgreen:
Dolly Parton Best country duo! ;)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:58 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:37 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:13 pm
DarkShadow wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
Dolly Parton Best country duo! ;)

Haha...yeah man, no doubt. :big grin:

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:26 pm

Just two days ago and it hasn’t happened for me for quite some time. I took my SLX dc XT 70 out for a test run along with my alphas SV TW.
It was a little bit windy 5-10mph but I had no problem with SLX casting into wind. I have 15lb braid and casting 5 gram free rig. I test a few cast and lower the dial down to 2 with PE mode and only little over run when lure hit water. Switch to Alphas with 12lb FC and Fat Ika which known to be good in wind. First cast into wind (btw I use alphas in even stronger wind before with not a single problem) and I forgot all about thumb. The line dig in beneath backlash so bad I can’t get it out. Tried for 10+ minutes until I saw kinked damage, decide to trimmed all backlash out because I know the line is no good no more. There goes my only Tatsu line.