Bass "masters"

Is there any other species?
Flippin Pigs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Bass "masters"

Post by Flippin Pigs » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:34 pm

you wouldnt be excited if you won the bass masters classic!?!??!?!?!?!

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:08 pm

i wouldnt be going it is a monster it is a monster if it is a 1-2 pound fish, i would be excited but would not make a complete jack out of my self.

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:44 pm

Personally, I like humble fishermen that are knowledgeable yet enjoy teaching others.  Withing the competitive fishing environment, fishermen with these attributes are few and far between.

Roland Martin, Bill Dance, Hank Parker and Shaw Grigsby I believe have these qualities. They want people to take an interest in fishing, not them.

larrybass
Angler
Angler

Post by larrybass » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:36 pm

Hey Reno Reeler, you sound like a dude that knows his talented fishermen! :D All the boys you mentioned in your post are right on the money for the best Bassin' talent pool.

Here's a question or two for you flippin pig. Do you really believe that you have to stand up to fish all day to win the cash at the end of the tourney? Do you fish all day standing up? How much did you win last year, or in the last five years, for that matter? :P Believe this or not but I easily remember when nobody stood up in a moving boat for much more than a minute or two. As a matter of fact I was one of the very first in my area to add standing to my fishing methods on my home lakes. I remember getting a lot of weird looks from all the regulars, who thought at the time that I was somehow showing off or something. Now with fishing for bass for bucks, standing has become the norm. How many walleye tourney winners do you know of who stand up all day? Ya know, an open mind can cure a lot of preconcieved notions. :wink:

Fishing, after all these years, is still mostly about knowledge and how you use that knowledge. Guys who are consistant at makin' the bacon, are quite good at putting their own specialized knowledge to work for them, all the time. Lots of guys out there on the various trails get on a streak sometimes because they have learned some "new" technique or found a new lure or whatever. Then they somehow seem to peter out the next season, just when they've got a bunch of sponsors on the line and have to be consistant, and not just lucky. My best case in point is:

Mr Consistancy, none other than Rick C. himself, not only won 4 BassMaster Classics but 2 of them were back to back. That has NEVER been repeated and probably never will again.

Dance really can catch fish! I didn't know you were lookin' for candidates for "good" fishing shows. If you judge a guy by how relaxed he looks, feels or acts or dresses, you just may be judging a pile of people improperly. Competance isn't measured by how perty yer flippin' style is, but by how many fish you've held in your hand by the end of the day. 8)

hang loose...

lb

Flippin Pigs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Flippin Pigs » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:27 pm

Larry,

Obviously your knowledge of tournament fishing doesnt extend past the pages of bassmaster magazine. NO you cant fish a tournament sitting down!!!!!!!!! try flipping sitting down hahhahaha good luck. even throwing a spinnerbait sitting down hurts your accuraccy and distance. and most walleye guys do stand...unless they are trolling or have to lean against there but seat because of the rough water they fish quite often....if you dont know much about tournaments don't preach about them. and not to be cocky but i bet i have won more money than anyone else on this forum. and as far as iconelli getting pumped up about catching a fish whatever the size..isnt that what fishing is all about....HAVING FUN!!!!! To me he isnt showing off he is just really enjoying what he is doing...How many of us can say that we have as much fun as him at our Full time jobs. Its good to see a guy get excited about catching a fish unlike most guys who rarely smile out there.

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:16 pm

I think it's time to have A FISH-OFF! Larry vs. Flippin!
Seriously, I think you both make great points about the Pro Bass Fishermen. What I think we have here is a wise seasoned veteran (who could probably teach us all quite a bit) and a young gun who has become very successful very quickly, and has already opened my eyes much more to the ways of Flipping!

There seems to be a clash of styles here, but I can respect most of what you both said. As far as what you said about Iaconelli Flippin, I agree that this should be a fun sport and people should be able to show their emotions.

I can understand what he must have felt, and a quick explosion of joy was cool, but he might have taken it just a step too far. He was acting like a 12 year old at the end there, not a grown man, he's in his mid 30's I think. The announcers were speechless, it was just uncomfortable for everyone at that point. Then again, how can we know what he has gone through? 10 years of very stressful, highly competitive pro fishing and finally something like that, it was probably like winning millions on the lottery after living in poverty all your life. Also, many pros celebrate and jump around and get excited when they win, but only after the final weigh in, and you know what, they almost immediately go and shake the hand of the 2nd place finisher. Mike couldn't do that out on the water, and it kind of ruined the sanctity of the final weigh in and congratulations/condolences between 1st and 2nd place finishers

I am sure network executives or Bassmaster directors had a talk with Mike, and you won't be seeing any of that again. Why? Because it killed the drama and the build up of the weigh in, and probably ticked off a lot of the prominent advertising companies in the fishing industry. The entire show is for entertainment, regardless of the competition. ESPN had to sell advertising time throughout it, and Mike basically killed the drama and could have lost viewers. It is still a business in the end, and what Mike did probably didn't sit well with ESPN's advertisers and most old school fishermen, like Larry. Perhaps it is a sign of the times though.

Larry I understand and respect where you are coming from as well, but I think Flipping is correct about today's pro bass fishing. It is so fast paced and cut throat, you'll never see someone taking there time or sitting down and relaxing. There is too much on the line, and your lively hood depends greatly on every fish you catch, and everyone you don't.

I think I talk/type too much. Just some thoughts I had and I mean no disrespect if I disagreed with anyone’s beliefs.

larrybass
Angler
Angler

Post by larrybass » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:06 pm

Hey boys,

Lots of interesting comments and thoughts in here. First off, Mike's trip shouldn't have even been in this post as I see it. :cry: We were supposed to say who we thought was one of the greatest BassMasters out there in this particular post. :!: Secondly, I'm definately 'ol school, as far as my fishing beliefs and knowledge and respect for worthy fishermen are concerned. However, it's not like I'm some old fuddy duddy who doesn't know what's happenin' out there these days. :)

Flippin pigs boast of being the best, is sort of quite normal these days in the "new" bass world of cocky upstarts who think anyone older than them is just another old fart. Not one single pro who's name got mentioned in some of the above posts, EVER sat around bragging about how good they are to anyone who'd listen! They don't keep trying to remind their boat partners how badly they spanked them. As a matter of fact, most of the real BassMasters, the 'ol school guys, share lures, tricks, ideas etc. etc. with the guy in the back of their boats so that they can catch more or bigger fish too. Selfishness and boastfulness are NOT part of their media repertoir or fishing manerisims. They know how to behave as BassMasters and real men, especially when in the public eye. NONE of them have ever publically put any other pro fisherman down, for anything.

To the flippin' guy... Although flipping is a great technique and you do have to stand to do it, it's not the only game on the lake always. It is just one technique of many, many ways to bring bass to the boat and it doesn't always win all the tourneys either. Just ask Dee Thomas or Don Doty or Bobby Garland, the guys that started this whole flippin' business that you are into, before a lot of the guys on this board were even born, it seems. The standing reference, on my part, was only used to defend Bill Dance, who really doesn't even ever need to be defended, because you appearantly think he's lazy or fat or a slob or a clown or some other form of jerk who needs your rebuttals. You must have missed the little part about me being the innovator in my neck of the woods over thirty years ago by Standing all day, running my little aluminum 14 footer backwards, ala Al & Ron Lindners killer fishing style. Otherwise you wouldn't have wasted our time crowing so much about how hot your s_it is and then putting everyone on this board down with your very uptight (greater than thou) attitude. :oops:

Anyway, I like the comments about, let's enjoy fishing even more and try to have a good time, every time. Maybe ya'll could even see if you can help your boat partner in some small way this year. Trust me, the rewards are great. A good and competant boat partner does you more good than one who you tease and frustrate all day with put downs. There is nothing wrong with telling a guy he's doing a great job if he is. Instead of constantly tellin' him he's no good at something. Helping others is a common thread for all the Pros on the BassMaster Trail. It seems to work real well for them. :wink:

later,

fishing72
Angler
Angler

Post by fishing72 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:57 pm

iconelli is alway screaming i hate this guy. I seen him in other tourneys and he catches one fish and he is yelling. I have fished tournaments and i do not start scream so everyone on the lake can here me. I can understand get excited at the weigh in not out on the water 1st you don't know how everyone else is doing. I always say don't count your chickens before they hacth. One day he is going to go crazy and not win. That would be nice.

Also bill dance teaches people alot but most of the time he is fishing on a lake that only he can fish. Lakes that hardly ever see a lure.

I would have to say rick clunn, kevin vandam, skeet reese they don't always win but there always in the money.

Ron Andersen

Flippin Pigs
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Flippin Pigs » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:10 pm

Larry,

again you dont know what you are talking about. If i come off on here as a cocky A$$hole...well i apologize. And no im not like that in boat or at the weigh-ins. You talk about helping teach others...well im fishing a pro-am this summer for exactly that reason..i will be matched up with a amauter who will fish in my boat...i enjoy helping and teaching people new techniques and if i need to, i will share lures and even rods and reels. So i dont know what that whole rant of yours was all about.

in your other post you asked me in a negative fashion how much money i had ever won....so yes i did get a little cocky....sometimes people like you need to be put in their place.

And flippin is the number 1 technique for largemouth. Take a look back at the # of major tournies won by flippin or pitching..look at the past 10 classics.

i am good at most techniques but i go with what is the most productive each day....im not a one dimensional angler.

After winning a major team tourny with a pro from texas, who fishes the BASS curcuit...he got up on stage and told the crowd that there wasnt 20 guys in the states that could out pitch me....i was only 16.

Cocky...maybe...but it doesnt show anywhere but on here when guys like you start shooting off about things that they have no clue about. I am constanly in the eye of the public,, at outdoor shows and tournaments....i have sponsors and i have never been known as cocky or never talked down to someone, trying to build myself up.

Your from Ottawa, why dont you fish the CFT event there this summer.....ill see ya there....maybe you can teach me some manners while your donating your money hahha

the only time i have ever been cocky on here was when joking around with Reno....now i guess i have a new reason....just to get you rattled

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:30 pm

can't we'll just get along :D
peace!