The Spring Thing 5.4.2007 (Tampa, Fl)

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
Apollobeachsam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

The Spring Thing 5.4.2007 (Tampa, Fl)

Post by Apollobeachsam » Sun May 06, 2007 6:43 pm

Through of series of small unfortunate incidents I haven't been out as much I like to these past few weeks, hence not many reports. But enough about that.... :)

Got out with Andy(catchusome) for a little night trip. We did manage a couple snooks and reds but overall the bite was slow. We used jigs casting to points and passes.

I got out with Colby as he push poles me around the flats. It was low incoming and we were casting to potholes and sight casting to snooks and reds. It was pretty cool we manage snooks and reds but they were on the small side.

Ladyfish54 and I went to wet a line last week. We worked mullet schools until the yet another trolling motor died on me. To fix this problem we got out waded bear footed and got on a pretty good bite as the sun sets. Using exude darts and ended up with 2 nice snooks, 1 jack and 6 reds.. the bite lasted about 1 hour. Short trip but it was good day .. no bugs.. nice sea breeze.

I got out with Heywood for a few hours and manage a nice redfish on Mirrordine. We had a hard time finding the mullet and It was a tough day. We did see lots of snooks on the flats that day but they weren't chewing.

I picked up a new ride last week. A 17' Flats boat I had to drive to St. Augustine to pick up. This boat should extend my range and add variety to my fishing.

I had and unsuccessful bone fish trip with Marcel who was cool enough to get out with me on short notice. Not much wind and great conditions, but there wasn't much bones to be found.

Yesterday we got on a good top water bite with trout. The bait was everywhere. I used a new combo rig yesterday. I tied a fly at the end of top water and 50% of the time the fish bit the fly. The bite was steady until about 10am then it shut down. Full moon? Who knows. The best catch of the day was Wayne's 28" trout. The water was just glass yesterday. With the light east wind in the am and 92 degrees, I could definitely feel summer around the corner.

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-UaovBvltI