Accurate bait casting tips

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
drwarz
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Accurate bait casting tips

Post by drwarz » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:20 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for good tips for casting a baitcaster for both accuracy and distance. I want to take my casting to another level and feel good advice regarding casting technique might be helpful.

Thanks.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Accurate bait casting tips

Post by dragon1 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:02 pm

Practice with different lures and line, rod/reel combos...in the backyard, pitching, casting, sidearm, etc. into a box, then small bucket, and then cup...set distances away.

Over and over and over...like Larry Legend shooting free throws.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:24 pm

Baitcasters always cast further and more effortlessly with the palm plate downwards and handle upwards vertically, shorter casts are when the reels flat.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:31 pm

drwarz wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:20 pm
I'm looking for good tips for casting a baitcaster for both accuracy and distance. I want to take my casting to another level
Toshinari Namaki has done great casting tutorials:

Slazmo wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:24 pm
Baitcasters always cast further and more effortlessly with the palm plate downwards and handle upwards vertically, shorter casts are when the reels flat.
That may be correct, I don't know, I haven't found difference between tilting reel or not. But casting sportsman don't tilt reel, and they cast farest...

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:39 am

Low spool startup speed compromises accuracy when pitching / doing short casts. So:
- Backing up the spool tension until there is minimal
play and only work with magforce / svs
- Lighter / lower capacity spools for a given lures. Having excess amounts of line is nice, but FC is really heavy stuff. Quick fix can be going braid to leader. If 12lb FC is what I’d need, I go 12lb braid with a 12lb FC leader of about 10ft. Braid is 55% lighter so on a 150 sized Shimano that’s 10g / 3/8oz difference just in line weight.
Ofc at some point lighter won’t help further, so no reason to go over board.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:46 am

Slazmo wrote:
Not with me. I don't remember when I started casting like I do but I bet that at least 90% of my casts are like the way that I am going to describe. I think that I started casting the way I do from bank fishing under low tree limbs.

I use reels that have the handle on the right side. I hold the rod/reel in my left hand and I bring the rod tip all of the way across my body to the right so therefore the handle is facing down. With one quick motion, I kinda backhand the lure out there. I am usually close enough in accuracy that this works for me with the vast majority of my casts.

Only when I am casting something on the heavier side or a longer rod will I usually deviate from this casting method. I generally prefer a rod that is 6'5" or shorter. A lot of times for me, the shorter the better.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:07 pm

drwarz wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:20 pm
Hi,
I'm looking for good tips for casting a baitcaster for both accuracy and distance. I want to take my casting to another level and feel good advice regarding casting technique might be helpful.
Thanks.
Distance there are all sorts of variable, but accuracy there is only one. LOOK at your target, do not take your eyes off it. This for general area at distance, pinpoint sidearm, pitching, doesn't matter, whatever it is you got to look at it. No different than driving a car, look where you want to go, or riding a motorcycle, do not look at what you do not want to hit. Vision is key.
PEACE

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:41 am

John G wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:46 am
Slazmo wrote:
Not with me. I don't remember when I started casting like I do but I bet that at least 90% of my casts are like the way that I am going to describe. I think that I started casting the way I do from bank fishing under low tree limbs.

I use reels that have the handle on the right side. I hold the rod/reel in my left hand and I bring the rod tip all of the way across my body to the right so therefore the handle is facing down. With one quick motion, I kinda backhand the lure out there. I am usually close enough in accuracy that this works for me with the vast majority of my casts.

Only when I am casting something on the heavier side or a longer rod will I usually deviate from this casting method. I generally prefer a rod that is 6'5" or shorter. A lot of times for me, the shorter the better.
I’m no engineer but I believe the whole point of the handle-up theory is to counter the effect of gravity by bringing the the spool and bearings axis vertical which balances weight distribution and rotational force. Whether the handle is on top or bottom is irrelevant.

shadybanks
Angler
Angler

Post by shadybanks » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4HmHQBolVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5x1slGi0so&t=219s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lbamawcIcQ&t=643s

I'm an old turd but I learned a lot from these vids when I was having elbow and hand issues.

Practicing good techniques really helped me. I was lazy with my thumb placement and wrist and elbow angles on my pitching. Try your best to be able to everything with either hand. Strong forearms helps too, the best pitchers and skippers I know look like Popeye.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:37 am

Something that helped was casting like I was turning a door knob. It keep the lure horizontal with the surface and moving well.