Korker Buckskin
33%

Total votes: 3

Rusty Shackelford
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Wading Boot Help Please

Post by Rusty Shackelford » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:10 am

I fish primarily freestone streams/creeks and small rivers that consist of silt, gravel, and boulder size rocks and in some places shale, some of my favorites include the East Koy Creek, Wiscoy Creek, and the Genessee River. The Genessee tends to have a generous slick of clay on rocks throughout much of the year both inside and out from rising water levels making for very slick conditions. Furthermore in the late summer months many of the rocks/shale are coated in slime that too, makes them very slick. I have always just wet waded in old running shoes or my used 8" combat boots that were pretty well done for and was fine most of the time, until the conditions described above anyway. I am sick of trying to wet wade too early/late every year and freezing my feet so this year I bought my first waders and now want a pair of decent wading boots. My absolute limit on cost at the moment is around $150 and that's only because I have $50 credit with a vendor I like, without that it's more like 100. I have been researching and looking and it's very hard to find information however I think I've narrowed down my choices to 2 boots, the Simms Freestone and the Korkers Buckskin. For me durability > convenience and to an extent comfort, I'll wear a slightly heavier boot if it's going to last 2x as long, within reason of course. I know I'll get all sorts of suggestions to just buy the G3 or to just get the best Korkers, I'd love to, really would like nothing more, but just can't now. The freestones are appealing because they have a good reputation for comfort and durability however I'm concerned this may just be their previous models with the Vibram soles, not lots of current info on the new model. I like the Buckskins because they are lighter, appear to have better drainage, and have a very clear warranty and great customer service from what I've heard. What I don't like is the idea of a removeable sole, I've read complaints of these popping off in muddy conditions and although I really like the Idea of felt I do lots of walking stream side and in just 1-2" of water and just can't see felt holding up to the abuse and don't really want to keep replacing soles at $40-60 a pair. So there it is, most of the thoughts I'm struggling with at the moment, If there's something I've over looking please let me know. Given the 2 choices and my situation, if you were going to buy a pair tomorrow, which would you get?

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Wading Boot Help Please

Post by ftl1951 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:43 am

I’m not sure what replaces this model of Simms Guide Boot, but I’ve had these for many years and they are still going strong. Felt bottom and worn roughly 20 trips a year on average. My son wears Korkers and has had no issues with them as well. His are only about three years old, so I can’t really speak to their durability compared to the Simms. I paid around $200 for these best I can remember.
4400AF94-8FB5-40EA-9AAF-39EAD52DB87E.jpeg
4400AF94-8FB5-40EA-9AAF-39EAD52DB87E.jpeg (20.34 KiB) Viewed 9430 times

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Wading Boot Help Please

Post by rando » Fri May 15, 2020 9:12 am

I have a pair of 3 year old korker greenback ($99) going strong through its 4th year now. I have put them through some very heavy use and used them a lot (almost weekly, except winter). Nothing wrong with them yet. I love the ability to change soles at any time. If they come apart this season, next, or further in the future I will get another pair of exact same thing.