Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fishing Misconceptions That You Wish Would Die

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:11 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:37 pm
How about the Senko is the best bait ever. "You don't work them, they work for you" :roll:.
You still have to cast them accurately, but they are pretty consistently effective in just about all conditions.

Like others have said, braid is super sensitive unless there is a lot of wind or waves with small baits. In those scenarios, fluoro is significantly better.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:32 pm

Cal wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:28 pm

"You can balance the rod by putting a heavier reel on it..." - You don't balance an object by placing weight on the HOPEFUL balance point. Unless you're holding your combo in front of the reel, all you're doing is making your combo heavier. If balance is your goal, add counterweights to the end of the rod, or find a rod with the best balance you can for the application you have in mind.
Spot on. =D> =D>

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:10 am

The best one is:

Tungsten falls at twice the speed of lead! :laugh1:

nah...they fall at the same speed pretty much in water. In a vacuum they fall at the same speed of gravity
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:09 am

slipperybob wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:10 am
The best one is:

Tungsten falls at twice the speed of lead! :laugh1:

nah...they fall at the same speed pretty much in water. In a vacuum they fall at the same speed of gravity
Wouldnt everything fall at the same speed in a vacuum?
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:09 pm

uljersey wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:57 pm
Fishing at night requires dark noisy baits like big Colorado blade spinner baits that beat the drum. Nonsense. While I know noisy baits will work, there's been many times I've done very well on a pearl Super Fluke or a tube. Live prey doesn't get noisy after dark and the fish find it just fine. Fish what works for you during the day ... if that's a big noisy spinnerbait, fine, but don't be afraid to be subtle.
I spent probably close to a thousand hours night fishing before I was even 18. I always caught plenty of small fish on small worms, tiny spinners, and the smallest original Rapala's. What really blew my mind was catching fish at night on spaghetti thin 4" clear salt and pepper Flutter Craft worms. They are really small baits that I grew up split shottin' before most people ever knew what the technique was. I caught over 50 fish one afternoon on the worm in a tournament. I decided to go back out after the weigh-in. They bit all night until I was too tired to fish. When fish are chasing small threadfin in clear water they often like a smaller finesse bait. My kids crush them at night on 3" Senkos. I'll take a bigger darker bait in darker water though.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:23 pm

My least favorite misconception is that modern worm hooks will easily rust out of a largemouth's stomach without causing much harm. This is so wrong. They almost always make it hard for the fish to eat. The fish become skinny quickly and they often die. You can easily and quickly go in from the outside through the bottom gill with cool and wet needle nose pliers and reverse the hook. We discussed this on another thread a while back. The worst is when a worm is still attached to the hook in the fish's stomach. They will continually try to blow out the hook rubbing nasty red sores on their mouth's. It is sad to see. Our summer night tournaments piss me off because so many anglers leave hooks in the fish and the fisheries suffer.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:54 pm

toddmc wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:09 pm
uljersey wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:57 pm
Fishing at night requires dark noisy baits like big Colorado blade spinner baits that beat the drum. Nonsense. While I know noisy baits will work, there's been many times I've done very well on a pearl Super Fluke or a tube. Live prey doesn't get noisy after dark and the fish find it just fine. Fish what works for you during the day ... if that's a big noisy spinnerbait, fine, but don't be afraid to be subtle.
I spent probably close to a thousand hours night fishing before I was even 18. I always caught plenty of small fish on small worms, tiny spinners, and the smallest original Rapala's. What really blew my mind was catching fish at night on spaghetti thin 4" clear salt and pepper Flutter Craft worms. They are really small baits that I grew up split shottin' before most people ever knew what the technique was. I caught over 50 fish one afternoon on the worm in a tournament. I decided to go back out after the weigh-in. They bit all night until I was too tired to fish. When fish are chasing small threadfin in clear water they often like a smaller finesse bait. My kids crush them at night on 3" Senkos. I'll take a bigger darker bait in darker water though.
True. Cant get darker than ice fishing in the dark...where panfish hit TINY lures.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Sterfry26
Angler
Angler

Post by Sterfry26 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:28 pm

"If you are a good fisherman you shouldn't need nice gear" I have heard this one so many times and it really bugs me. I fished with a 7-foot heavy salt rod for a long time. I enjoy fishing so when I had the money I began buying nice gear. It the same as how car guys buy nice parts and golfers buy 1000 dollar clubs.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:23 pm

Sterfry26 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:28 pm
"If you are a good fisherman you shouldn't need nice gear" I have heard this one so many times and it really bugs me. I fished with a 7-foot heavy salt rod for a long time. I enjoy fishing so when I had the money I began buying nice gear. It the same as how car guys buy nice parts and golfers buy 1000 dollar clubs.
Sort of like when I bought $1600 roller skates for myself and $1000 skates for my teen daughter, just to spend a little extra time with her!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:45 pm

Sterfry26 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:28 pm
I get something similar here in South Louisiana. "I can catch just as many fish on my $40 wally world special as your fancy gear." Maybe so if I was soaking shrimp off the bank with my rod either in a rod holder or leaned up against the cooler on the bank like them, not as likely when actively throwing artificials all day from the kayak.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:47 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:23 pm

Sort of like when I bought $1600 roller skates for myself and $1000 skates for my teen daughter, just to spend a little extra time with her!
How many bearings do the $1600 ones have in them ?!?

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:27 am

"baitcasting reels are hard to learn and are useless compared to spinning gear"

nope. easy to learn and much better at throwing heavy and large baits/baits with a lot of water resistance.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:50 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:47 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:23 pm

How many bearings do the $1600 ones have in them ?!?
2 bearings per wheel x 8 wheels. They are ceramics, btw.😜
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.