Great Lakes steelhead and BFS?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Great Lakes steelhead and BFS?

Post by tincanary » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:38 am

Am I crazy? Maybe, but I'd like to try BFS for the steelhead that migrate to our smaller rivers. Reels I have at my disposal, Alphas CT, Millionaire CT, Revo BF7, and a Calcutta Conquest BFS. What rod should I be looking at? Most of my rods are trout rods under 6' and either L or UL which may not be enough for a raging 5lb to 15lb Steelie. The baits in planning to run are 1/8 to 3/16. Would the Phenix Feather 7'1" be enough or should I look for something else? Any other recommendations?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Great Lakes steelhead and BFS?

Post by ss30378 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:24 am

Not crazy at all, sounds like lots of fun actually. For 1/8-3/16 and going for steelhead I'd be looking for a ML (power bfs) rod. The ML feather would work and is super light but they usually run on the lighter side of ratings so if you get a 15lb chunk you may not have too much control. If you like the extra excitement of letting a fish run then that may not be a bad thing however :D

My own current "power" bfs setups are an Edge inshore 662 with a millionaire CT and Edge black widow 703 with and an alphas ct. Both rods are 1/8-3/8 rated but the 703 is a full step up in power (more of a ML+) over the 662 (more of a light +). The 703 has more power than the phenix ML but has just enough tip to be able to cast 1/8oz. I can cast skinny 4" weightless senkos with ease and has enough backbone for pulling in 4-5lb bass without a problem. The 662 will rocket 1/8oz and actually load with 1/16oz but 3/8 would be pushing it and i would say 1/4 is max on that stick. I use the 662 with 3" senkos and other small jigs, spinners, crankbaits and have pulled some good 4lb+ fish.

I've also used the loomis glx 802 jwr and St. Croix medium powered rods with the XF taper, both have soft tips helping to cast light baits with good backbone for lunkers. I've also had some jdm medium powered rods that could cast that range and had good power as well.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:03 pm

I fish similar searun brown trout in small streams and bfs is great for that. Admittedly, I have yet to catch a 15 lb specimen on bfs, but I think many of my trout rods would be up for the task. Some of the Aliexpress rods are too "UL" for my liking, but a 6'3" Daiwa Wise Stream 2-10 gram lure rating has done great with fish up to 10 lb and it will handle 15 lb...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:13 pm

It would work. I fish in the Great Lakes and also fish a lot of BFS. It will work, even if you fish floats.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:21 pm

I have other rigs for bobber fishing but those usually don't come out until around Christmas down my way. I typically focus on throwing hardware until the water gets below 40 or so. I do have a Daiwa Bass X 64LB I might try which is rated 2g to 11g. How do you guys think that will do?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:30 pm

Try the Phenix and the Daiwa. I am not familiar with the rods, but they should work fine with regard to handling the fish.
You have not mentioned which lures (baits) you plan to use. Moving baits, spinners, spoons, crankbaits, and you want some flex in the rod - not XF - for better hook-ups.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:49 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:30 pm
Try the Phenix and the Daiwa. I am not familiar with the rods, but they should work fine with regard to handling the fish.
You have not mentioned which lures (baits) you plan to use. Moving baits, spinners, spoons, crankbaits, and you want some flex in the rod - not XF - for better hook-ups.
At this point in the season I'm usually using 3/16 Hot n Tots, 1/8 Little Cleos, F5 Raplas, and 3/16 Flicker Shads. The Hot n Tot is probably the most productive in my local river, especially the Ghost UV color pattern.

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:53 pm

Hi, quick question on BFS casting and retrieve technique for Steelhead : Do you guys cast across the current and let the lure "swing" down-current? Or do you simply cast to areas where you think the Steelhead are holding and start retrieveing immediately? Thanks.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:48 pm

Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:53 pm
Hi, quick question on BFS casting and retrieve technique for Steelhead : Do you guys cast across the current and let the lure "swing" down-current? Or do you simply cast to areas where you think the Steelhead are holding and start retrieveing immediately? Thanks.
All of the above. Spoons and spinners I typically retrieve across the current. With cranks, I fish them downstream as they help the bait get deeper faster, I'll release the line and run the crank through the hole again. Sometimes the steelhead in my local stream are a little weary, and dropping back once or twice may get the fish to bite.

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:45 am

tincanary wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:48 pm
Shadowcaster1969 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:53 pm
All of the above. Spoons and spinners I typically retrieve across the current. With cranks, I fish them downstream as they help the bait get deeper faster, I'll release the line and run the crank through the hole again. Sometimes the steelhead in my local stream are a little weary, and dropping back once or twice may get the fish to bite.
Thanks for the comments. So far I had only fished for steelheads with a Spey rod in the Pacific NorthWest. My next trip there I'll bring my BFS outfit along... but my fly fishing guides would not be amused though. :lol:

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:36 am

I got a decent one with the Gekkabijin AIR TW. An older guy came over when I hooked up and he had some questions. He was shocked I was using a "Rapala" (Spearhead Ryuki 50s). I was also using a 4'11" baitcasting rod too.

I am able to fish in faster current than people drifting spawn. I know the spawn may get more bites overall but, I can fish areas other can't.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:27 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:36 am
I got a decent one with the Gekkabijin AIR TW. An older guy came over when I hooked up and he had some questions. He was shocked I was using a "Rapala" (Spearhead Ryuki 50s). I was also using a 4'11" baitcasting rod too.

I am able to fish in faster current than people drifting spawn. I know the spawn may get more bites overall but, I can fish areas other can't.
I was thinking of using my 4'10" Finetail glass. Down my way, the fish aren't hitting on spawn much until the water is below 40. Hardware and plugs work best right now. Maybe that is the route I'll take.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:28 pm

tincanary wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:27 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:36 am

I was thinking of using my 4'10" Finetail glass. Down my way, the fish aren't hitting on spawn much until the water is below 40. Hardware and plugs work best right now. Maybe that is the route I'll take.
Play the drag and watch out for snags

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:17 pm

Went out this morning and got a nice 24" on my Alphas CT and Finetail Glass, 3/16 ghost Hot n Tot. The rod handled beautifully, didn't feel as outgunned as I thought prior. I'm going to head back out Thursday this week, got the day off for veteran's day.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:29 am

tincanary wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:17 pm
Went out this morning and got a nice 24" on my Alphas CT and Finetail Glass, 3/16 ghost Hot n Tot. The rod handled beautifully, didn't feel as outgunned as I thought prior. I'm going to head back out Thursday this week, got the day off for veteran's day.
Sweet. You get looked at weird down there? I got some heads turning using a BFS reel for stream fishing.