Hisense TV

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Hisense TV

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:49 pm

I am normally very fair on products, even products that have issues understandably have lemons. We purchased a 43" and 58" Hisense TV to go in our house. Not even 1 year old, the 58" just quit. Was working absolutely fine then just stopped. Contacted Hisense and because it was a gift from a grandmother (not living anymore) I had no receipt. They basically returned an email that said tough luck we don't care. Very unfriendly people, terrible service, no offer to help, no offer for a discount, no call to even give me a heads up of how to fix it. I am very disappointed. Anyone know what I should do? I am absolutely sick to lose that much money, and I will not give up that easily, going to try and fix it myself I guess.

Also what brand should I get to replace it? How do I ensure it won't explode in less than a year?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Hisense TV

Post by goldrod » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:05 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:49 pm
I am normally very fair on products, even products that have issues understandably have lemons. We purchased a 43" and 58" Hisense TV to go in our house. Not even 1 year old, the 58" just quit. Was working absolutely fine then just stopped. Contacted Hisense and because it was a gift from a grandmother (not living anymore) I had no receipt. They basically returned an email that said tough luck we don't care. Very unfriendly people, terrible service, no offer to help, no offer for a discount, no call to even give me a heads up of how to fix it. I am very disappointed. Anyone know what I should do? I am absolutely sick to lose that much money, and I will not give up that easily, going to try and fix it myself I guess.

Also what brand should I get to replace it? How do I ensure it won't explode in less than a year?
Sucks man.. but I dont watch tv much.. its too complicated.. cable or no cable, satellite tv, or firebrick, all this is just too much for me honestly.. I liked tv when it was simple.. 4 channels and they all went off at midnight.. now i just watch youtube fishing videos on my television set..

That being said.. I usually direct my wife to CNET to read reviews on electronics .. its just a starting point but to me they have some good information
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:08 am

When you plug it in and press the power, do you hear any humming from the TV? Will have to listen close but, if you don't hear anything, probably the power supply is bad.

I really don't like Hisense and other brands like that. Picture quality lacks and like you experienced, terrible service. I think they prey on the mid to older American who looks at screen size and price only. So many factors go into a TV that people pay for that they don't use or, wish they had...
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:29 am

goldrod wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:05 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:49 pm

Sucks man.. but I dont watch tv much.. its too complicated.. cable or no cable, satellite tv, or firebrick, all this is just too much for me honestly.. I liked tv when it was simple.. 4 channels and they all went off at midnight.. now i just watch youtube fishing videos on my television set..

That being said.. I usually direct my wife to CNET to read reviews on electronics .. its just a starting point but to me they have some good information
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:08 am
When you plug it in and press the power, do you hear any humming from the TV? Will have to listen close but, if you don't hear anything, probably the power supply is bad.

I really don't like Hisense and other brands like that. Picture quality lacks and like you experienced, terrible service. I think they prey on the mid to older American who looks at screen size and price only. So many factors go into a TV that people pay for that they don't use or, wish they had...
Well after a few days of rage, I watched an hour long video on youtube that seems identical to my issue. There is a guy who repairs on there and I am 99% sure it is one of the LED strips. It is funny to me though, because anyone who has had physics knows how cheap they are. I am assuming these are run in a series style like old Christmas lights are? Why should one bad LED (out of the almost 40+) cause the entire TV to go black? I feel they could have been ran parallel to where if this happened it would just make a dark spot in the TV rather than knock out all sound and all picture. Maybe there is a reason? Maybe damaged LEDs can overheat or there is a reason they do not want the entire $400 TV to work for one or two damaged LEDs.

Either way, I cannot give up, going to order new LED strips and attempt the repair. Worst that can happened is I break the screen glass or mess up and the warranty is gone regardless. We do not have cable, only streaming services, but with the wife home with a newborn now, I want the TV back up and running. It does make me laugh though how major corporations will treat consumers. I might make under 30K now and made mistakes in life, but I still got 75% of a good education and see so much wrong business wise. To be honest, I'm not sure why I am so mad about a TV when I work in healthcare, it is exponentially dirtier than consumer goods could even try to be...

Junk Fisherman
Angler
Angler

Post by Junk Fisherman » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:00 am

Sorry DirtyD. That sucks. I have had terrible luck with TVs over the last 10 years and have had a TCL, Panasonic, and LG all crap out on me well under 5 years. And we are not hard on TVs either.

My issue with my Hisense is the terrible, Google operating system. It takes forever to load something from Netflix, Youtube, ect. The picture is nice (65") but I'm not comparing it to any of its competitors.

In terms of what replacement to get, I would get a TCL. I know I said mine broke down after a couple years but we loved it and the Roku operating system was excellent. They get great reviews and my parents have had good luck with theirs. I probably just got unlucky.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:25 pm

Get a Costco credit card and you can get 7 years of warranty on purchases like TVs and appliances. 2 years standard, 2 years extra because of the credit card, and you have to pay for the 3 year extension which is usually around $100. Well worth it.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:08 am

HobeyBaker wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:25 pm
Get a Costco credit card and you can get 7 years of warranty on purchases like TVs and appliances. 2 years standard, 2 years extra because of the credit card, and you have to pay for the 3 year extension which is usually around $100. Well worth it.
Well Hobey, I took your advice... kind of... My wife has a Sam's Club card, so we went yesterday to see what they had. Found a 50" Vizio for $299. Decent little TV, nothing special, but we don't need anything special. Has a 3 year warranty (makes me very happy) and should be fine for occasional PS4 playing and general TV watching. Would have much preferred the 7 year warranty you mentioned, but I don't think we have a Costco super close to us.