Credit Card Compromised at TackleWarehouse

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Credit Card Compromised at TackleWarehouse

Post by Drakestar » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:40 pm

The thing that ultimately ticked me off is that apparently, none of our stored data was encrypted in any way, which is a standard best practice. They must also have stored the CVV security code, which is a big no-no. TackleWarehouse clearly wasn’t following the PCI Security Standard, which you can read about here: https://www.findlaw.com/smallbusiness/b ... dards.html

Of course I blame the hackers, but as somebody working for a company with a huge customer base, I also blame TW. We’d get murdered if we treated our customer information as carelessly as they did.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:49 pm

I ended up getting a new card....

:x

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:04 pm

Y'all better check your PayPal's too! I just got hit with two unauthorized charges for $500 that only showed up on my bank statement coincidentally the day I use PayPal to check out on tackle warehouse. Ugh!!!! Anyone experience the same?
Long live the Jerkbait

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:48 pm

hmnginmn wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:04 pm
Y'all better check your PayPal's too! I just got hit with two unauthorized charges for $500 that only showed up on my bank statement coincidentally the day I use PayPal to check out on tackle warehouse. Ugh!!!! Anyone experience the same?
I've said it a dozen times to others; don't use paypal for purchases. I've had issues with them, I know people who have had issues with them, you had issue with them, the list goes on... TW itself isn't the cause and there are other payment methods.
PEACE

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:56 am

hmnginmn wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:04 pm
This scares the hell out of me. I swear I never stored my card info on Paypal and now my new card is listed on there. So far it has been good and I always watch our account balance to make sure nothing came out.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:01 pm

I have used PayPal for years to pay via credit card. In fact, I will always use PayPal if it is an option because the merchant never has any access to the credit card information.

The issue in question, in the original post, was a Tackle Warehouse issue with credit card information compromised from their site, not PayPal. To date, I have not seen any report of credit card information being comprised on PayPal.

Regards,
Doc

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:58 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:01 pm
I have used PayPal for years to pay via credit card. In fact, I will always use PayPal if it is an option because the merchant never has any access to the credit card information.

The issue in question, in the original post, was a Tackle Warehouse issue with credit card information compromised from their site, not PayPal. To date, I have not seen any report of credit card information being comprised on PayPal.

Regards,
Doc
To expand on my previous post, a good antivirus/malware tool is essential to any PC/laptop that is used for financial transactions. I am constantly amazed at the number of people without this level of protection. And if you do have such a tool, it is imperative to keep it updated with the most current virus/malware definitions. If your tool of choice does not allow you to easily execute such virus definition updates, it is not a adequate tool.

And if you are using a phone, the generally available antivirus/malware tools are mediocre at best. If you are using a phone connected to your home WiFi with an adequate hardware/software firewall, your level of security is somewhat better.

One of the most important things to do with financial accounts that are used online is to enable two-step authentication, which is available in most.

Using PayPal as an example, with two-step authentication, if online access is attempted to my account, using the correct username/password, from an device other than the cell phone listed with my account, a text message with a code is sent to the cell phone. That code must be entered as the 2nd step of the online login. This means even if some has obtained my username/password, without my cell phone they cannot login and I would know that someone has attempted to access my account with the correct username/password.

If I use the PayPal app on my cell phone, I am logged on directly without the 2nd step since the login is from the cell phone listed for the account.

Hope this info helps.

Doc

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:32 am

Well they are at it some more with my credit card apparently stolen from TW. I just got a notification from Capital One that a Virtual Credit card was declined for use at "Quest San Diego". The beauty of using virtual cards is that they only work at the Vendor that they are set up for. Since the Virtual card was set up for Tacklewarehous, the attempted fraudulent use at "Quest San Diego" was declined and thats why I got a notification.

Never ever use a real credit card number for an internet purchase. For me Virtural Cards are the way to go, other than Paypal.

BasserJim
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BasserJim » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:07 am

Are there still numbers being compromised at TW? I have some things I need but don't want to have to replace all my stuff
-------------------

ProStaff - S.H. Fishin Sticks

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:00 pm

I'd use a virtual card.
1-2%

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:05 pm

BasserJim wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:07 am
Are there still numbers being compromised at TW? I have some things I need but don't want to have to replace all my stuff
They replaced their system back then and AFAICT you can't even store you CC information with them right now. Should be safe to order.

The biggest irony for me was when old TW pre- and back-orders started bouncing because the credit card information they had on file wasn't valid anymore. Yeah, it wasn't valid anymore because that card got compromised at TW! I had to contact them to provide new card information...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:54 pm

We just had $499.26 charged TWICE to DoorDash in San Francisco Chili's. Really wrecked us. Luckily the bank detected and we have almost got it all back. Had it out bad with DoorDash, they originally made it sound like it was one of their people. If it was someone paying them with my stolen info it wouldn't be their fault. Very sketchy situation.

lucky6468
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by lucky6468 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:36 am

Just received an email last night April 19th about the security breach claiming to be the second letter that they sent.Never got the first one.I had unauthorized charges on 3 of my cards,2 in November 2021 and the 3rd in January 2022.Besides never being notified the first time via email you would have thought that such a breach people should have been notified by postal mail as well as email to cover all there bases.After the 3rd card was charged the issuing Bank told me without being specific that a online fishing supply retailer had had a security breach.It wasnt hard to figure out who the retailer was because 2 of the cards hadn't been used for only a few places,both being for fishing gear at one specific retailer.