What's your "Wind Limit"?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

What's your "Wind Limit"?

Post by Johnny A » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:24 am

I'm pretty tolerant of weather conditions when it comes to fishing. Cold, heat, rain, snow, really don't bother me. Lightning, will cancel a trip in a heartbeat! I was actually in the immediate area, let's say 50'-75', of a lightning strike once and it's not a place you want to be. You could feel the hum in your fillings, the heat on your face, hair standing on end and goose bumps, the crack and the sizzle!
So we know we're I've been and conspicuous by it's absence is WIND. To me, wind is the most difficult weather condition to determine whether to go or cancel a trip. I'm good with a breeze or no breeze. Light wind or no wind. Wind gusts to 20 mph/24 mph but no sustained winds over 20 mph and no gusts 25 mph or more.
A final note in closing, when I lived in NJ, an east wind was a death knell for a trip. On my local pond in Upstate SC, an eastern breeze is like ringing the dinner bell.

p.s. gusts to 29+ today ... ](*,)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What's your "Wind Limit"?

Post by goldrod » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:40 pm

I can’t stand the wind

10-12knots in a place that I can’t hide is painful
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:03 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:24 am
I'm pretty tolerant of weather conditions when it comes to fishing. Cold, heat, rain, snow, really don't bother me. Lightning, will cancel a trip in a heartbeat! I was actually in the immediate area, let's say 50'-75', of a lightning strike once and it's not a place you want to be. You could feel the hum in your fillings, the heat on your face, hair standing on end and goose bumps, the crack and the sizzle!
So we know we're I've been and conspicuous by it's absence is WIND. To me, wind is the most difficult weather condition to determine whether to go or cancel a trip. I'm good with a breeze or no breeze. Light wind or no wind. Wind gusts to 20 mph/24 mph but no sustained winds over 20 mph and no gusts 25 mph or more.
A final note in closing, when I lived in NJ, an east wind was a death knell for a trip. On my local pond in Upstate SC, an eastern breeze is like ringing the dinner bell.

p.s. gusts to 29+ today ... ](*,)
Wait till ya get old / older. Extreme cold never bothered me in the past. Can barely tolerate it now. But I agree, wind is the worst. On the water is worst. From the bank, 16-17mph is about my cut off, but I primarily fish lighter power finesse stuff.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:27 pm

when it gets windy we just change up and go trolling.

they call it the walleye chop for a reason. :D
1-2%

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:49 am

I prefer a breeze that puts a slight occasional chop on the water as it suits my preferred power fishing/moving bait style. I detest dead calm conditions most of the time. One time we got driven off the lake by howling winds in the 25mph + category. We loaded the kayaks in the trucks and just for $h!ts & giggles we started launching lipless baits from the bank and caught a few. That was a hoot catching bass in the whitecaps.

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:15 am

We say when it makes your butt pucker it’s time to get off the lake!!!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:46 pm

Whenever I see Mary Poppins floating down towards the lake...

Yeppers, it's time to pack it up.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:50 am

With the spot lock on the Lowrance, wind doesn't seem to be much of a problem anymore, unless of course, it's gale force.

The ride on the fiberglass is a lot better than the old Tracker I was used to fishing on.

Both of those (Lowrance and fiberglass) have made fishing in the wind a bit more bearable and I dunno about you, but I've seen slow days turn into memorable days just because of the wind coming up.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:45 pm

DarkShadow wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:50 am
With the spot lock on the Lowrance, wind doesn't seem to be much of a problem anymore, unless of course, it's gale force.

The ride on the fiberglass is a lot better than the old Tracker I was used to fishing on.

Both of those (Lowrance and fiberglass) have made fishing in the wind a bit more bearable and I dunno about you, but I've seen slow days turn into memorable days just because of the wind coming up.
Yep a good chop and some wind into a cove can be magic at times.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:13 am

When it starts to white cap.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue May 02, 2023 10:35 am

mark poulson wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:13 am
When it starts to white cap.
^^^Yeppers, definitely this^^^