Automotive Oil Changes

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Automotive Oil Changes

Post by goldrod » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:02 am

Good Morning Everyone

When it comes to oil changes what brand of oil do you prefer?
I’m trying liquid molly molygen but it’s my first time and
normally it takes 10quarts of 0W-30 but that’s rather hard to find so after much reading 5W-30 is comparable to it. Has anyone else tried any liquid molly? Are you changing your own oil or do you take it in?
I’ve been thinking about at what age will I not do my own oil changes ,
I’ve not come up with one. Long as my health is good Lord willing I will do my own oil change
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Automotive Oil Changes

Post by Slazmo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:48 am

Good evening from this side of the globe...

You'll find the different start up weights and running weights for different geographical regions and their temperatures etc. However here in Australia / sub tropical Gold Coast anywhere between 0 / 45 degrees Celsius in the span of a year I use 5W-30 Castrol Edge and a Liquid Moly MOS2 additive (1/2 bottle to 4.5L engine oil) - I do tend to run a oil strip flush every 2nd oil change for peace of mind and ensuring any sludge is broken down and flushed out.

There is also a Ceratec* version of the Liquid Moly MOS2 - boron nitride based I believe...

Now as I get to do a 30 minute run up the highway too and from work at 110kms/ph the car gets a good run rather than the stop start traffic I once did too and from work which the car never warmed up and the oil worked harder - mind you fully synthetic can cop a hell of a lot of abuse.

Short trips are detrimental to engine oil and I shortened the oil changes to 6 / 8000kms. Whereas now I run it for 10, 000kms easily without worry.

All oils now have a very good wear and detergent additive package, however the best engineering will and can fall short to over extended oil changes especially with city driving and the dreaded blow by which makes the oil acidic and creates a premature wear scenario.

But do the oil change yourself, drain the oil, I run the engine for 10 seconds once the sumps empty to clear the oil galleries and pump and watch how much extra oil dumps out, prefill the oil filter with oil to allow smooth passing of refilled oil through the paper medium - small things all help longevity and satisfaction of doing it yourself is rewarding.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:09 am

My 00’ Chevy is my buttercup and tows my boat
I use Mobile 1 in that truck and I am quickly becoming a fan. I’m was told it’s the best brand of oil out there but I can’t say that without sufficient data to prove it. As you stated oils nowadays are rather good but honestly ever since I was a kid my pops said never use QuakerState oil. I don’t know why that’s one of my most vivid childhood memories but it is and I’ve never used that oil.

I see that in Australia, you guys are fortunate to get that Chevy ( not really Chevy Since it’s not U.S. engineering ) SS Commodore “Holden” and that thing seems amazing. Have you seen one? What are your thoughts?

I’ll have to try that ceratec oil but I can see better fuel consumption already with this molygen.
I work an hour away from my house and it’s mostly interstate. Due to the times I have to be at work I’ve actually made that drive in 27 minutes in the morning. The evenings can be stop and go depending on the route taken
But it clears up and you’ll get a 60-140mph high now and again.

Oil changes are not really expensive when you compare DIY to shops but I’ve frequently heard of shops forgetting to put oil in the vehicles. On another site I read where a Toyota Tundra owner drive home from the dealership with no oil and the upon discovery contacted the dealership and they sent people to put oil in the vehicle. For me it’s peace of mind , knowing that the job was done correctly. People may say “ you can just sue the shop” but litigation cost time and money. And in the mean time you’ve still got to goto work 9-5 seven days a week.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:26 pm

I use Castrol GTX and I let a shop do it. My Xterra takes either 5w30 or 10w30 when its it's hot. This is a shop I trust implicitly. Plus, they change it while I'm in the truck and theres a camera in the pit and a monitor for me to watch as they do the oil change.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:26 pm

I'm over 60 and still change my own oil. I just don't trust anyone to actually do it without me checking afterwards. If I have to check afterwards I might as well do it myself. I will do it as long as I can get under my vehicles. I am not brand loyal and never have been. My 94 truck and 03 Tahoe get what ever is on sale. That includes Quaker State. My 2011 Toyota Corolla gets anything that is full synthetic. I've never had any issues with any oils.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:57 pm

goldrod wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:09 am
I see that in Australia, you guys are fortunate to get that Chevy ( not really Chevy Since it’s not U.S. engineering ) SS Commodore “Holden” and that thing seems amazing. Have you seen one? What are your thoughts?

Oil changes are not really expensive when you compare DIY to shops but I’ve frequently heard of shops forgetting to put oil in the vehicles. On another site I read where a Toyota Tundra owner drive home from the dealership with no oil and the upon discovery contacted the dealership and they sent people to put oil in the vehicle. For me it’s peace of mind , knowing that the job was done correctly. People may say “ you can just sue the shop” but litigation cost time and money. And in the mean time you’ve still got to goto work 9-5 seven days a week.
They're like fleas of the road. Where I am they're the choice of hooning and burnouts. However since the fall of Holden Australia - the collectable market has spiralled out of control. A friend from work has a collection of them in his farm property shed, some really interesting models and variations, and there's a guy behind my old work that's got a collection too but not as big.

My overall thoughts on these Commodores is that they're unrefined overall - they have straight line performance and touring ability straight out of the box, but when you put them in a situation they'll let go of the road and end up somewhere you don't want to be. However I'm a Japanese car owner through and through - I doubt I'd ever buy one though.

With oil changes, what put me onto the path of doing it myself back in toe early 2000's when I started driving, was when I took my first car in for its first service and I took a bottle of oil I wanted them to put in - when I poked my head around the corner old mate mechanic was pumping oil out of a 44 gal drum - when I questioned the service advisor "We'll keep your bottle in lue of what we used".

Having said that I know my process for oil change, I ensure that I get as much oil out before putting in the new stuff and I am thrusting of my ability to do the whole process time and time again correctly.