Drinks on me

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Drinks on me

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:50 pm

I don’t drink alcohol of any sort but I never arrive empty handed.
That being said I was wondering for those of you who do, what’s your favorite drink?

While I have your ear I’d would also like to ask what makes scotch sooo expensive and where on the tier does it rank with gin, bourbons , cognacs etc
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Drinks on me

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:09 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:50 pm
That being said I was wondering for those of you who do, what’s your favorite drink?

While I have your ear I’d would also like to ask what makes scotch sooo expensive and where on the tier does it rank with gin, bourbons , cognacs etc
I dont drink (anymore). June 6 2021 will be 24 years clean and sober for me. That being said, I do know a little about your specific question regarding Scotch. Storing it long-term is expensive, plain and simple. However, the longer it sits, the smoother it is. This is also problematic, as the longer it sits, the more it evaporates, thereby reducing the amount of available product. So, in a nutshell, this compound problem is what makes it expensive.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:05 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:09 pm
goldrod wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:50 pm

I dont drink (anymore). June 6 2021 will be 24 years clean and sober for me. That being said, I do know a little about your specific question regarding Scotch. Storing it long-term is expensive, plain and simple. However, the longer it sits, the smoother it is. This is also problematic, as the longer it sits, the more it evaporates, thereby reducing the amount of available product. So, in a nutshell, this compound problem is what makes it expensive.
Thanks for the knowledge and congratulations on the sobriety.

I don’t know of any of my friends who are scotch drinkers but I have heard that it’s a gentleman’s drink that cost to drink. I like to bring something different to different events that I have been invited to. I’m thinking the next event will be some sort of scotch or wild turkey or monkey shoulder. The names seem rather interesting to me.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:25 pm

Not much of a scotch drinker.. Cognac however, well I drink that with my pinky up!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:17 pm

BassFreak wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:25 pm
Not much of a scotch drinker.. Cognac however, well I drink that with my pinky up!
:laugh1: :lol:
Only way to drink the cognac.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:41 am

With any aged liquor, you are mostly paying for time. I lucked out and prefer whiskies with a little bite to them, so cheaper stuff is what I go for. Old, smooth scotch is good, but only when someone else is buying it. High West's Campfire is one of my favourite whiskies and the only good one I keep around. It makes single barrel scotch purists pop their monocles and swoon, but I have never found anyone who doesnt like it.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:46 am

Houndfish wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:41 am
With any aged liquor, you are mostly paying for time. I lucked out and prefer whiskies with a little bite to them, so cheaper stuff is what I go for. Old, smooth scotch is good, but only when someone else is buying it. High West's Campfire is one of my favourite whiskies and the only good one I keep around. It makes single barrel scotch purists pop their monocles and swoon, but I have never found anyone who doesnt like it.
Thanks
I’ll find it and give it to someone

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:21 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:46 am
Houndfish wrote:
Thanks
If you approach it with an open mind, it's at-least interesting enough to be an enjoyable try.

I am a big High West fan, I like that they were open and honest about being a blending house when they first started rather then pretending that a new label could magically appear offering 10yo aged liquor that they distilled and aged themselves. I was also lucky enough to spend two weeks working next to their Park City headquarters/bar back in the day when they were getting started. I ended up eating lunch there every day and had to buy a second suitcase to mule home all the bottles I picked up, the owner offed a very nice private buy-one-get-one sale on my last day in town.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:45 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:21 pm
goldrod wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:46 am
Houndfish wrote:
Thanks
If you approach it with an open mind, it's at-least interesting enough to be an enjoyable try.

I am a big High West fan, I like that they were open and honest about being a blending house when they first started rather then pretending that a new label could magically appear offering 10yo aged liquor that they distilled and aged themselves. I was also lucky enough to spend two weeks working next to their Park City headquarters/bar back in the day when they were getting started. I ended up eating lunch there every day and had to buy a second suitcase to mule home all the bottles I picked up, the owner offed a very nice private buy-one-get-one sale on my last day in town.
I’m alway open to try new things on other people
I’ve had one person and his wife really like this stuff I got by talking to a customer and the person who I gave it to said they would have never tried it but since I brought it they gave it a shot but ended up going to find it weeks later. I appreciate the suggestion greatly

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:56 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:45 pm
I’m alway open to try new things on other people
I’ve had one person and his wife really like this stuff I got by talking to a customer and the person who I gave it to said they would have never tried it but since I brought it they gave it a shot but ended up going to find it weeks later. I appreciate the suggestion greatly
No problem, I think it's a good gift in the sense that it's expensive enough and weird enough that a lot of people are not going to take a chance on it.