USPS delays without any reason

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

USPS delays without any reason

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:50 am

Made a purchase and was tracking it and after two days of no show I called and they are trying to figure it out. Takes three days for them to get back with me. Thought it was a kink in the system then a second item same thing.
Not due to weather etc. It really irritating and I’m not asking for anything other than status. I understand that in today’s world delays will happen and staffing can be tight with people who may have the unfortunate experience of catching Covid.

On the flip side when I send things using fedex it’s a bit more expensive but I’ve not had any issues whatsoever.

I have had usps delays before and in that case the reel was confirmed in hand just not due to arrive before the actual date of delivery. So it made it to the city state of delivery just was on the shelf for three days which baffles me but okay at least they had the item and could confirm. It seems that as of late usps has really had some issues and I know it’s not my personal carrier because she knows I sneak things in when the wife’s not home. I hope things get better and not just for selfish reasons. A delay pales in comparison to someone’s health.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: USPS delays without any reason

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:00 am

I think a lot of it has to do with Trump's efforts to defund the USPS. Less money means slower service.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:09 am

Let me try this again.

A friend of mine told me about the Postal Services “Informed Delivery” services. You sign up for notifications via text and email about what mail is heading your way, and when it is supposed to arrive. I have found this extremely helpful when I know what mail and packages are coming my way and when to expect them. I too have developed a close relationship with the local carriers and find them going out of their way to help me. I have even had them return to the main office to bring me packages after hours.

Many of the larger postal hubs are experiencing delays for a myriad of reasons. I hate to say it, but this seems to be our new normal...😟

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:14 pm

Covid has little to do with it. They have sucked for several years now. I sent 2 custom rods to a friend, insured for $360, which is what he paid me for them. They got broken, then the post office refused to pay for them because they weren't listed for sale anywhere online. I sent them a $520 build estimate from a licensed rodbuilder based on the parts that were used. They denied my claim and sent me a check for $50. The tube was broken and folded in half.....like I shipped it that way. [-X
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:38 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:14 pm
Covid has little to do with it. They have sucked for several years now. I sent 2 custom rods to a friend, insured for $360, which is what he paid me for them. They got broken, then the post office refused to pay for them because they weren't listed for sale anywhere online. I sent them a $520 build estimate from a licensed rodbuilder based on the parts that were used. They denied my claim and sent me a check for $50. The tube was broken and folded in half.....like I shipped it that way. [-X
Sorry to hear that Tim.
That freaking sucks
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

G40
Angler
Angler

Post by G40 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:26 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:00 am
I think a lot of it has to do with Trump's efforts to defund the USPS. Less money means slower service.
They were given 25 Billion Last year in Bailout, when they already had 2 years worth of operating budget stocked up.

The USPS has been a failing institution for years, Mostly due to exceptionally high pension liability. Amazon ironically was the only thing keeping the USPS relevant. The USPS net a 2.7 Billion loss in 2017.

Sterfry26
Angler
Angler

Post by Sterfry26 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:33 am

USPS is horrible when it comes to shipping rods. I have a medium length driveway and they won't even carry them all the way up. Had someone put down a rod in the middle of the driveway and then it got crunched by mom my backing out :/

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:30 pm

G40 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:26 pm
mark poulson wrote:
They were given 25 Billion Last year in Bailout, when they already had 2 years worth of operating budget stocked up.

The USPS has been a failing institution for years, Mostly due to exceptionally high pension liability. Amazon ironically was the only thing keeping the USPS relevant. The USPS net a 2.7 Billion loss in 2017.
The Post Office has been under funded ever since Congress let parcel delivery go private in the '50s. Parcel delivery is what subsidized first class mail, and kept it affordable for everyone. It was the real money maker for the Post Office. That's why they took it away from them and let it go private, so our residential service suffered. We used to get mail delivery twice a day back then. Trump was trying to drive the last nail in the Post Office's coffin, and force it to go private, too. Just like he tried to do with public education.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:49 am

mark poulson wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:30 pm
G40 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:

The Post Office has been under funded ever since Congress let parcel delivery go private in the '50s. Parcel delivery is what subsidized first class mail, and kept it affordable for everyone. It was the real money maker for the Post Office. That's why they took it away from them and let it go private, so our residential service suffered. We used to get mail delivery twice a day back then. Trump was trying to drive the last nail in the Post Office's coffin, and force it to go private, too. Just like he tried to do with public education.
Mail came twice a day!
That’s impressive. I don’t get enough mail for twice but it would be cool cause I’d just order more JDM

G40
Angler
Angler

Post by G40 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:38 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:30 pm
G40 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:

I didn't know that, Mail twice a day is also dangerous for my JDM habits :lol:
Why would the USPS becoming entirely private be a bad thing? People chose to send there mail virtually, and that's when things really got ugly for the USPS. The reality is we already have private institutions that do a better job at both, Education and Mail/parcel service. As tax payers we are paying more and getting less in both institutions.

Of course article 1 section 8 of the Constitution gives the Postal Service its existence. But unless the USPS is entirely restructured, it will continue to fail, and we should question how are tax dollars are being spent (especially if we are giving the USPS a bigger task in the election process going forward) But that requires us to take on a tougher task, of holding congress accountable. It seems I have more choice in voting with my money.

Thomas Jefferson said the Postal Service it would turn out to be a waste of money. I'm starting to think he might be right.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:05 pm

I still have a package from a fly shop "Pending" since December 11, 2020.

I opened a case via email and I've received no follow up except for the generic auto reply.

When I tried to respond to that email a week after receiving no response, it bounced back saying that email was invalid.

](*,)