This is a first for me

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

This is a first for me

Post by goldrod » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:53 am

Was excited to get things done so I could get on the water and after getting the boat loaded I backed up my truck to connect when there it was or rather wasn’t. Seems someone had stole my hitch. Like the ball and the lock and it really put me in a sour mood. I believe in live and let live and I could not imagine someone doing this. I wish I had come across them doing it but maybe it’s all for the best.
Ended up getting a new hitch and lock but I’m highly skeptical of the securedness of any lock. I don’t ever take off my hitch but I think that it’s probably best I do from now on. By the Grace of God I did not have my boat and trailer when they took it. That would be double whammy. Has this ever happened to you or someone you know? I had a buddy who once had his tires slashed at the ramp and he was seething. I just don’t understand the mindset behind it
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: This is a first for me

Post by Cal » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:59 am

Zander has had his messed with at the launch ramp... only discovered it while trailering back home and something felt loose. The ball was halfway off or something. I wasn't there. But it led to this review - and he still uses it to this day:

Dura Safe Coupler Connect
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:27 am

Cal wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:59 am
Zander has had his messed with at the launch ramp... only discovered it while trailering back home and something felt loose. The ball was halfway off or something. I wasn't there. But it led to this review - and he still uses it to this day:

Dura Safe Coupler Connect
Thanks Cal
Looks like I’ll invest in one too.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:08 pm

If you want something even better import one of these from Australia.

I sell them at work on a daily basis and have 2 on both of my trailers.

https://www.purpleline.com.au/saracen-ultra/

However you still need to secure the tongue to the tow bar receiver,which is another lock in itself.

We have a fair share of thefts and mischief at our boat ramps too, seems we haven't strayed far from our convict forfathers.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:20 pm

Yeah you definitely want a key locked hitch. But be warned, even THAT is no guarantee unattended. I've personally never 'lost' one but have a buddy who did. Someone actually picked the key lock, pulled the hitch, and then in the worlds utmost dramatic act of defiance went so far as to reinserted the hitch pin and relock the stupid thing. Pin in, locked, no hitch. We couldn't believe it. So, yeah, it can happen...

I'm one of the few who actually carries a spare trailer winch to the ramp. Way I figure if someone wants the mounted one I'm still getting home. With my boat. I don't bother with a wheel jack because that won't prevent me from towing, and I always tote a pair of ratchet straps just in case. Plus I always inspect every trailer contact when I stop. No matter what. And I mean everything. Gas, food, pitstop behind a bush, run back into the house for that one thing I forgot the fifth @#*^ time. It doesn't matter. I'm aware it's OCD but to my mind it's a good habit that only takes a minute. Better safe than sorry.
PEACE

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:37 pm

I have admittedly never really looked at the ball hitch on a truck, but is it just secured by a single bolt and nut?

I ask because it seems like it would be easy enough to secure it by using red locktite and/or deforming the threaded end of the bolt with a cold chisel. I some of the equipment I rent for work will come with a ball installed and secured this way and it it is hard bordering on impossible to remove something like that without some long cheater bars and a cutoff grinder. I know this because due to a late night breakdown I once had to remove such a ball to transfer it to another machine and it was a huge pain, too me like 15min with good tools, and made a hell of a racket.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:08 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:37 pm
I have admittedly never really looked at the ball hitch on a truck, but is it just secured by a single bolt and nut?

I ask because it seems like it would be easy enough to secure it by using red locktite and/or deforming the threaded end of the bolt with a cold chisel. I some of the equipment I rent for work will come with a ball installed and secured this way and it it is hard bordering on impossible to remove something like that without some long cheater bars and a cutoff grinder. I know this because due to a late night breakdown I once had to remove such a ball to transfer it to another machine and it was a huge pain, too me like 15min with good tools, and made a hell of a racket.
They took the entire thing 😂 the ball and the bar.
The only thing securing it was a Reese’s locking device which they person or people who decided they needed mine more than I needed it proved that it was only an ornament.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:56 pm

Out of curiosity i have been searching for hitch pins that can not be broken.
Was looking for something that literally had to be cut off when I ran across a video showing you “ how to remove YOUR hitch when you don’t have the keys to YOUR locked pin”. Amazing how it just comes off.
At this point I’m thinking carrying two is the best course of action as someone here already mentioned.