Costly Mistakes

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Costly Mistakes

Post by goldrod » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:25 pm

So I recently made a mistake that cost me $150.
I’m hurt to because I probably could have avoided it if I had of known.
Hindsight is 20/20 some say. It’s just eating me up and I’m trying to shake it.
The most expensive mistake I have ever made cost me $6000 and I’ve since gotten over it. What’s the price of a costly mistake of yours ?
How did you shake it off? This one shall pass I’m sure but for now the sting is real.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Costly Mistakes

Post by bronzefly » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:09 pm

I'd imagine that a lot of readers here wouldn't admit their most costly mistakes, financial or otherwise, save for tackle dealings perhaps. Maybe they would, I could be wrong :lol:

Let me ask you, is that $150 something you'll miss? No it isn't. Do you have any recourse? Probably not, especially if you paid for it "friends and family" :lol: . So now, do you just write it off and remain silent or do you share your experience so others won't make the same mistake? That's where you make a choice, maintain your center and move on with life. Don't sweat the small stuff, and most of it really is the small stuff...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:00 pm

I have taken a $300 bath and eaten a $500 breakfast sandwich.

The bath, in Vegas back in the day when the internet was newer and hotels charged by the minute. Logged in, forgot to log out, got drunk, took a bath, didn't log out for like 4 hours. Was a nice shock the next day. I am sure I clicked through all the screens telling me how much it was costing me when I logged in.

The sandwich, got dragged into work on a snowy day, made it safe to work and decided that I would drive 1/2mile more to get breakfast. a 1/4mile down the road I had to do a hard swerve to avoid hitting a skidding car and hit the curb almost dead perpendicular, thrashing my suspension. $500 deductible. It wasn't even a very good sandwich and I knew that going into it.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:13 am

I know a lot of guys I talk to say "marriage" is their most costly mistake.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:33 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:13 am
I know a lot of guys I talk to say "marriage" is their most costly mistake.
My wife earns more than I do, and she spends less than I do, so I cannot call marriage a costly mistake. Lucky her. :lol:

My fishing hobby may be my costly mistake. I keep buying tackle that I do not need - a never-ending mistake.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:48 am

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:09 pm
I'd imagine that a lot of readers here wouldn't admit their most costly mistakes, financial or otherwise, save for tackle dealings perhaps. Maybe they would, I could be wrong :lol:

Let me ask you, is that $150 something you'll miss? No it isn't. Do you have any recourse? Probably not, especially if you paid for it "friends and family" :lol: . So now, do you just write it off and remain silent or do you share your experience so others won't make the same mistake? That's where you make a choice, maintain your center and move on with life. Don't sweat the small stuff, and most of it really is the small stuff...
I was trying to prepare a meal for my daughter. So I brought all the stuff but I normally would reach out to my grandma for guidance. However this time I winged it. Food was horrible. I guess I feel bad not because of the money but the experience. Especially knowing I could have just asked. So it’s not too bad maybe it’s pride or shame. But part of it is that thought in the back of my mind saying “ man we could have gotten more OSP’ lures with that. 😂
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:03 am

My 6K mistake was earlier in my maintenance career when I somehow managed to get a 1/4 drive swivel in a spark plug hole and put the spark plug back in and started the engine. Needless to say I had to pay for a new engine.
That’s when my QA levels reached new heights.

I don’t mind telling others about my costly mistakes especially if it helps someone not have to feel that pain. I don’t know how to make a roux from scratch but I do know that it will ruin everything it touches if it’s not done right. One thing I believe in is

As iron sharpens iron, so does one man sharpen another
Proverbs 27:17

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:38 am

I let my Wife, that likes to Gamble, run one of my business's. Needless to say, after not turning a profit in 6 years I started an investigation. When all was said and done, I lost a minimum of $128,000 to a maximum of $193,000 A YEAR over those 6 years. I run that place myself now, I'm happily Divorced and in mad love with my best friend of 25+ years. Funny how things can have a silver lining, my dream girl was right there beside me almost my entire life. She's also as hot as a goats ass in a pepper patch, so I WIN. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:06 am

a1712 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:38 am
I let my Wife, that likes to Gamble, run one of my business's. Needless to say, after not turning a profit in 6 years I started an investigation. When all was said and done, I lost a minimum of $128,000 to a maximum of $193,000 A YEAR over those 6 years. I run that place myself now, I'm happily Divorced and in mad love with my best friend of 25+ years. Funny how things can have a silver lining, my dream girl was right there beside me almost my entire life. She's also as hot as a goats ass in a pepper patch, so I WIN. Brian.
Seems like you were the gambler and you beat the house!!
Congratulations all the way around my friend. If it’s one thing I know it gambling and I don’t mix. I once had a fight three times in one day over a friendly wager with a guy who lost the bet. It would have been no big deal but he wouldn’t shut up and started talking wreckless

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:44 pm

Seems like you were the gambler and you beat the house!!
Congratulations all the way around my friend. If it’s one thing I know it gambling and I don’t mix. I once had a fight three times in one day over a friendly wager with a guy who lost the bet. It would have been no big deal but he wouldn’t shut up and started talking wreckless
[/quote]

Fishing related. I had a new Point Blank worm/jig rod built, Torzites, the works. Took it out of the tube and right into the ceiling fan. Didn't seem like it did anything to it, so I spooled it's reel up with some Tatsu, went to the lake and broke 6" off the tip on the first hook set. That really hurt. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:10 pm

$12,000 MRI because my insurance and my provider got their lines crossed up. That one hurt bad.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:27 pm

PotatoLake wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:10 pm
$12,000 MRI because my insurance and my provider got their lines crossed up. That one hurt bad.
You do know there's a Groupon for a $400 MRI, right?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:10 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:27 pm
PotatoLake wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:10 pm
You do know there's a Groupon for a $400 MRI, right?
Yeah, not sure Mayo takes Groupon. This was many moons ago :)

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:55 pm

what are we limiting the topic to? anything?

Most costly mistake in my life. Got married...she cheated and stolen all my money. Made my life a living hell when I could've retired with a nice nest egg. Divorce with a huge debt. Still suffering to this day. Now I really don't care so much and down graded to just working at a fast food place for my paycheck.

my life's motto, "Divorce is the best thing in life, if you got married to the wrong person." or, "just don't ever get married." :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:40 am

slipperybob wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:55 pm
what are we limiting the topic to? anything?

Most costly mistake in my life. Got married...she cheated and stolen all my money. Made my life a living hell when I could've retired with a nice nest egg. Divorce with a huge debt. Still suffering to this day. Now I really don't care so much and down graded to just working at a fast food place for my paycheck.

my life's motto, "Divorce is the best thing in life, if you got married to the wrong person." or, "just don't ever get married." :big grin:

im sorry for your experience brother. one of my friends told me that he was wiped out for over 80K and the judge said its okay it was community property but clearly he had that before they met. Still hes in counseling cause hes been hurt
Love is powerful and I hope that God's love sees you through this storm.

Back to the topic
I dont know why and i cant really explain it but i got a daiwa light limited for just over 200 bucks. sold that reel and i have been looking for a deal on one since.. the 8:1
dont even know what I was thinking.. the guy i sold it to was with me one day showing me how good of a reel it really was for a very specific florida technique and it was like he unlocked the code on pad fishing for bass