Snaps vs. the GP Ring

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Snaps vs. the GP Ring

Post by goldrod » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:57 pm

I had shifted my topwater game to Decoy #4 snaps and thought I’d same time tying and such. I brought these decoy GP rings and couldn’t find a use for them since they are not split rings. Surely there is a use for them.

Instead of tying to my split rings on any crank bait. I now just tie directly to the GP ring. And whenever I want to change lures I simply connect the lures split ring to the GP ring. I can do that faster than cut and retying and if I’m using a braid to any type of leader I don’t have to keep cutting the leader every time I change lures.

What I have found is that the knot never gets pinched in the split ring or notched at the point of the split ring where the end and beginning meet.
Maybe this decoys idea to begin with when they came up with the GP ring
I can’t say for sure and maybe if you re tie often you don’t have any breakages at the split ring but for me it’s helped me a lot and I carry split ring pliers the orange ones but the system seems to work just fine for all hard baits.

Does anyone else use decoy GP rings? How do you you use them?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Snaps vs. the GP Ring

Post by eklikewhoa » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:05 am

Anything that isn't effected by the added weight I use the ring as well.

That's how I set up my sea jigging/slow fall, so I can just swap jigs and keep the assist hooks intact

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:21 pm

I'm confused (I know, so what else is new). Do you tie your line to the GP ring, and then attach the lure's split ring to it?
I just tie on one of their Decoy Egg Snaps to my line, and then attach that to the line tie of the crank, so there is no split ring. It makes changing cranks easy and fast.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:03 am

mark poulson wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:21 pm
I'm confused (I know, so what else is new). Do you tie your line to the GP ring, and then attach the lure's split ring to it?
I just tie on one of their Decoy Egg Snaps to my line, and then attach that to the line tie of the crank, so there is no split ring. It makes changing cranks easy and fast.
:lol: :lol: :lol: but I confuse myself some times :-k ](*,) :-k

So when I am using a trap or DT10 I am tying my line to the GP Ring then attaching the lures split ring to the GP Ring.
I just works for me but also if I have a braid to leader rod, I am tying the GP Ring on the leader and than attaching the lure to the ring via the split ring.

I've tried it your way, just tying the line to the snap and than attaching the snap to the lure. for me it got aggravating as the decoy snap make me do summersaults to get it onto some lure. I found myself just avoiding the snap all together and just using the GP Ring and than doing as I mentioned earlier, attaching the lure to the GP Ring via the lures split ring via some split ring pliers..
I imagine you can do it anyway you choose but its just something thats been working for me..esp by not having to cut my leader line every time i change a lure ( when using braid to leader )
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:36 am

I use the snap, and have learned to maneuver so it goes on more easily. Since I use braid and a 20-25lb Sunline FC110 leader, I still retie, but not nearly as often. It really saves time on the water, since I can swap crankbaits more quickly.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:00 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:36 am
I use the snap, and have learned to maneuver so it goes on more easily. Since I use braid and a 20-25lb Sunline FC110 leader, I still retie, but not nearly as often. It really saves time on the water, since I can swap crankbaits more quickly.
Understood.
Anything is better than tying directly to the lure split ring. I lost a jackall trap because two fish hit the lure and were caught however the line snapped at the split ring. Just horrible

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:38 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:00 pm
mark poulson wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:36 am
Understood.
Anything is better than tying directly to the lure split ring. I lost a jackall trap because two fish hit the lure and were caught however the line snapped at the split ring. Just horrible
That's another reason I use the snaps from Decoy. I got tired of having to make sure my knot wasn't in the gap of the split ring.

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:11 pm

X2 on the decoy snaps, only brand I’ve ever had the confidence to use over split rings.