Shouler Surgery

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Shouler Surgery

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:05 am

Just got done yesterday with a shoulder surgery. Issue is, this is the arm that caused my past pain med addiction (clear for 9 years now) so I refused all pain meds. This has been brutal man. I have been on this planet 33 years and this is without a doubt only rivaled by the pain caused by all 4 wisdom teeth being removed. Anyone else ever had surgery with NO pain meds? I was told I could take an addiction therapy medication I have (buprenorphine) but it seems to do nothing anyways. I was lucky to have Aflac accident insurance to help cover, my job acted like because it was a previous injury workman's comp would not count (even though the MRI I payed for showed differently).

Either way, I hope all of you well, just venting and bored at home for now, I hope no one else goes through this predicament. If you can take pain meds, I would, just do so responsibly. If I had the willpower to use them correct, I would not be in this mess now. I guess it will further help me understand what my wife will go through with our first child, coming within the next month hopefully!!!

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shouler Surgery

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:23 am

Had a couple of surgeries myself, but at least the first few hours after it, I was taking pain killers. Shoulder sucks in particular since every little move (especially during the night) is felt!

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:34 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:23 am
Had a couple of surgeries myself, but at least the first few hours after it, I was taking pain killers. Shoulder sucks in particular since every little move (especially during the night) is felt!

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery!
I'm already progressing a bit, blood pressure kept sneaking up toward high cause of the pain, finally got it under control. Just plain and simple, THIS HURTS. Not sure when I will be on the water again, gonna work on solving my Steez A/new reel issue now. Love shopping and planning tackle on downtime. Really considering the new Alphas SV TW while they have them...

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:53 pm

One of the best things, in my opinion, in here Finland is basically free health care for everyone. But in here our doctors are almost hysterical in case of painkillers stronger than Paracetamol, and stronger painkillers are really hard to get. Two of my workmates has operated spine, and nerve pain because of it, and they don't get that amount of strong painkillers they need. Just because someone could get intoxicated by those. We don't have crisis on opioids, but people who needs those, they might have crisis because of not getting their medicine.

But what I can say. Strong pain is horrible. And if a man couldn't sleep because of pain, it doesn't help.

Hoping you get healed!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:36 am

I for one appreciate your openness and honesty.
I have a high pain tolerance and normally they will treat me with an iV
And the stuff usually has people high as a kite but for me it’s just meh
I’d scratch here and there but nothing too much. Over the counter prescriptions I don’t usually take as I should depending on the day.

I had a compound fracture of my forearm both bones were exposed
Fractured hip broken femur , fractured ribs and broken ankle
I have hardware installed but it aches when it gets cold.
I went through physical therapy and for the most part no meds. The worst was really trying to run. My hip just didn’t want to do it and my leg lacked strength but I had to pass my physical fitness assessments.

So I understand you not wanting pain medicine and it can be done. It’s just the harder route and you my friend are a warrior. To be able to know your limitations and verbalize them, that to me makes you a warrior.

I’m not sure how you feel about herbal medications but they are an alternative to the stuff doctors prescribed. So I mention that as an alternative solution.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:39 am

I completely understand, my guy. In 2013, I tore the labrum in my right shoulder. It needs surgery, but I refused. The doc said, if everything goes as well as possible , I'd be out of work for 1 year minimum. That's best case scenario. So I did some PT and the doc told me to come see him when I cant stand it anymore. So now I take 2 Aleve in the morning to function and 1 at night to sleep. There is an associated cyst bulging into the joint and it pinches a nerve sometimes and causes temporary paralysis. First time it happened, I freaked out, thinking it was permanent. The feeling came back about 5 minutes later and it was like electricity shooting from my shoulder down and out thru my fingertips. So I've learned to manage by not my putting my elbow above shoulder level. It sucks, and I'll eventually have to have it repaired. It has woken me up at night a few times, but that was when I forgot the aleve before bedtime.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:43 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:05 am
Just got done yesterday with a shoulder surgery. Issue is, this is the arm that caused my past pain med addiction (clear for 9 years now) so I refused all pain meds. This has been brutal man. I have been on this planet 33 years and this is without a doubt only rivaled by the pain caused by all 4 wisdom teeth being removed. Anyone else ever had surgery with NO pain meds? I was told I could take an addiction therapy medication I have (buprenorphine) but it seems to do nothing anyways. I was lucky to have Aflac accident insurance to help cover, my job acted like because it was a previous injury workman's comp would not count (even though the MRI I payed for showed differently).

Either way, I hope all of you well, just venting and bored at home for now, I hope no one else goes through this predicament. If you can take pain meds, I would, just do so responsibly. If I had the willpower to use them correct, I would not be in this mess now. I guess it will further help me understand what my wife will go through with our first child, coming within the next month hopefully!!!

Ugh. Yeah man, I would say that you likely are not lacking in will power; some are simply wired to become addicted more so than others. I’m also one of those ‘some’ and I have 5+ years now clear. I recently had a hernia repaired. Probably not nearly as intense of a surgery as yours, but it was a pretty significant tear and they had to put in a good slab of that mesh. I also refused meds because I can’t take that chance. Anyway, it sucked but I found it very doable to just grin and bear it. I just took over the counter stuff. Whether it helped much is debatable, but I also took it slow initially. After the first few days, I think you’ll find that it becomes a lot more manageable.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:28 pm

I hope it gets better soon. I can't take pain meds either, so I know you're suffering. Keep the faith, "this too shall pass".