Mountain biking

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Mountain biking

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:13 am

Decided I wanted a new hobby that will also improve my fitness. I like kayaking around in a human powered watercraft connected to nature but I'm distracted fishing to ever get much of a workout. Except when I launch in 20+ mph wind gusting higher. I'll get that desperate sometimes. So for those windy days and post cold front terrible fishing days I got an mtb. From Walmart.

I also hadn't ridden a bike since I was 10 and never graduated to the big 10 speed type bikes you sit way out on top of. My rider competency was about a zero so I bought a terrible bike just to take around the neighborhood to get to a competency to actually ride a beginner trail. It is still way more bike than I am a rider so I can grow into it and upgrade it over time. Eventually I'll probably migrate to a hardtail from a bike shop. I don't even know what kind of rider I am yet or how to even ride competently.

The plan was to get a big box store bike and ride it around town to get some basic skills and endurance. I went with the Hyper Explorer full suspension bike. I live on a hill and my daily circuit is to ride up the hill and then around two blocks of gentle inclines and declines. I do two of those every week night.

1st ride: I never learned how to get up on a seat and just straddled and sat down on my old childrens BMX bike as a kid. I did the same with this one and my ass hurt right away. I made one pump in the driveway and tore a pedal off. It was cross threaded a 1/4 of a turn into the crank and just left that way. I had to thread it I from the back side to chase the threads to get it to start which I'm sure looked funny to passing cars. I got the pedal back on and went up the hill in the big gear. I got half way and went back down with my heart pounding and my butt aching.

2nd ride: I raised the seat up to put more of my weight on the bars and learned how to push off and hop onto the seat. Most of you probably learned this as a kid. Took me until I was 37. I got to middle section of the hill and turned off to make some rounds around the block. I came back and my legs, and arms were rubber along with a pounding heart. Good workout. I'm getting better but that saddle is limiting my time more so than my endurance. I needed to change the seat to continue to ride and at some point return to the stock seat once I'm a competent ride.

The Walmart bike's Walmart upgrades: I went and got a fat guy seat for my bike just to make it more comfortable to ride around town. They also had snafu brand red locking grips which look cool and pedals with more grip. The stock ones were super slippery. I got the grips, resin pedals (like a garden gnome), mongoose helmet and snafu pads.
Last edited by LowRange on Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Mountain biking

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:35 am

I put the new parts on and made some adjustment to the brake setup too. I wanted to test out the bike at speed in te full gear range and cover some miles in it before going to my 1st mtb trail. I went to a paved bike path I had to myself and went a mile and back in each direction. Its a lower intensity longer duration type workout than the hill climbing. I liked it but an mtb is not the right bike. It slows way too fast and that suspension robs me of some power. Maybe I will get a bike for the miles and miles of brand new concret trail out in the farmland at some point.

My 1st mtb trail ride: I found a trail that the pics showed as a smooth trail and it looked friendly to new riders. Its a combined use trail and I had it to myself. I had a great time and was able to practice my technique. There was a mix of gentle hills and sweeping turns along with some technicals. Great time. It whooped my butt and I had to get off the trail a few times and catch my breath. Many of the turns are hard to see coming and on one I was caught off guard with my seat too high desending a hill and couldn't shift my weight back as I got on the front brake and I went over the bars. Came down on my pads and I had to realign the bars to the front wheel but was ok. I figured the trail would loop back around to the car so I kept going. It does but I didn't see it so I kept going on the trail thinking I had to and blundered into some advanced section of trail. It had some sort of marking on it but I don't know what they meant. I made it 90% up the hill and walked it the rest of the way up. I can't see the forest through the trees so I just keep going. I then hit an advanced tight banking down hill section where I had to ride the brakes and put all of my weight over the back portion of the seat and try to balance on the pedals. It was too much and I had to put all of my weight on the seat and ride with my legs out and flounder down the hill. I eventually gave up and walked the bike down and then back up as I realized I was just getting further and further away from my vehicle and I was nearing my exhaustion limit. As a danger to myself and others I was fortunate to have the trail to myself. I need to stick to the beginner cross country multiuse stuff until I get my competency up. The good news is there are some trails near where I work and my bike fits in the back of my car. Just got to keep at it.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:59 am

Keep at it and you will see big fitness gains. I successfully raced cross country mountain bikes for several years in the late 90's at the top amateur regional level in SoCal. I have won quite a few regional bass tournaments also. There are a lot of us out there that do both. Check out mtbr.com and pinkbike.com for everything mountain bike. We even have a fishing thread on mtbr. The bike parts get very expensive at the top level (almost as expensive as my boat when I have 6 bikes at 5-10 thousand dollars each). It is the same rabbit hole as enthusiast tackle. I ride the road bike and mountain bike 4-5 days a week and fish 1-2 days a week. I have been doing these two things for almost my entire 52 year-old life.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:09 am

toddmc wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:59 am
Keep at it and you will see big fitness gains. I successfully raced cross country mountain bikes for several years in the late 90's at the top amateur regional level in SoCal. I have won quite a few regional bass tournaments also. There are a lot of us out there that do both. Check out mtbr.com and pinkbike.com for everything mountain bike. We even have a fishing thread on mtbr. The bike parts get very expensive at the top level (almost as expensive as my boat when I have 6 bikes at 5-10 thousand dollars each). It is the same rabbit hole as enthusiast tackle. I ride the road bike and mountain bike 4-5 days a week and fish 1-2 days a week. I have been doing these two things for almost my entire 52 year-old life.
I figured it would be. I have a problem where I really get into the equipment in my equipment based hobbies. I grew up paintballing and bass fishing. Now I am getting into mountain biking. Its an eye opener just how far I have to progress to be able to do the cool things I see on the videos. Its a whole new world. For now I am approaching it as my fall and early winter hobby. Spring is still dedicated to fishing. Summer just seems to be grass mowing season. :doh:

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:25 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:09 am
toddmc wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:59 am
I figured it would be. I have a problem where I really get into the equipment in my equipment based hobbies. I grew up paintballing and bass fishing. Now I am getting into mountain biking. Its an eye opener just how far I have to progress to be able to do the cool things I see on the videos. Its a whole new world. For now I am approaching it as my fall and early winter hobby. Spring is still dedicated to fishing. Summer just seems to be grass mowing season. :doh:
You need a smaller yard or a gardener :big grin: because summer is for night fishing!!!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:43 pm

Things are happening. Amazon parts are showing up in the mail. Going for a budget "trail bike" build with 120mm air fork on a 66-68 degree slack head tube angle. My weekly trail is a 1hr 30min trail that favors slower technical riding with lots of roots. I do about half of it in 45 min at barely above gyroscopic stabilization speeds. My near daily trail is a pump track on a what is the best mtb trail in the state all of 5 min away from work. I use that to practice rider and bike separation and how to turn at speed. Pic is my current build with new air fork mocked up. I have more parts of the way. It's been blast and a heck of a learning experience. I'm already out riding other newbies at my weekly trail but still getting severely winded and having to pull off and make way for experienced riders.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:45 am

Keep in mind, riding for fitness, and riding for fun are two different disciplines - especially on pavement. MTB'ing combines the two. For fitness on an MTB, you need to find trails that are pretty hilly so you have a lot of climbing - which as you've discovered, is difficult on a full suspension bike. Nevertheless, when climbing, or riding on the road, if you want to maximize fitness gains, do so in a low gear so your cadence/spin/pedal revolutions is high. Somewhere around 70 revolutions per minute. Of course, more difficult on a hill, but that's the idea. Might even be higher, I forget, it's been a long time.

On the downhills, if they're that steep, to get your center of gravity right, you need to shift back off the seat so your stomach is on the saddle... you can vary this depending on the decline, but that's the idea.

Just some quick pointers from a former cyclist ... I have a collection there too ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:49 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:43 pm
I'm already out riding other newbies at my weekly trail but still getting severely winded and having to pull off and make way for experienced riders.
Try using a lower gear and spinning more ... when you're grinding the heavy gears, all you're doing is burning your sugar reserves and burning your muscles out allowing the lactic acid to build... spinning in a lower gear will help you build endurance and your legs will last longer because circulation will be better and you'll have less lactic acid build up. You'll go slower, but you won't have to stop as much, which is better for your conditioning overall. Keep it up! =D>
Cal, Managing Editor

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:09 pm

Cal wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:49 am
LowRange wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:43 pm
I'm already out riding other newbies at my weekly trail but still getting severely winded and having to pull off and make way for experienced riders.
Try using a lower gear and spinning more ... when you're grinding the heavy gears, all you're doing is burning your sugar reserves and burning your muscles out allowing the lactic acid to build... spinning in a lower gear will help you build endurance and your legs will last longer because circulation will be better and you'll have less lactic acid build up. You'll go slower, but you won't have to stop as much, which is better for your conditioning overall. Keep it up! =D>
Thats exactly what I was doing. Taking my 42 lb bike and going down rooty cross country trails than trying to power up the next section in the big gear to the next down hill rooty fun section. Wears me out. Bike beats me with its 600lbs of compression steel spring fork making my upper body sore after riding. Bike weights a ton and I keep creeping along over the trail on the brakes going too slow and have no momentum for uphill making me start from a crawl in every climb. Still loads of fun though. With some weight off the bike, hydraulics and some better riding skills I hope to be able to complete a full circuit on this trail. Right now I could only handle half of it on the stock bike.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:29 pm

IMG_0106.jpg
IMG_0106.jpg (83.87 KiB) Viewed 6932 times
Our mountain biking in the Coachella Valley is straight up and down on chunky decomposed granite and rocks. Most trails gain 500 feet of elevation per mile. So you must be very fit and have a very light and low-geared full suspension bike (25 lbs. or less). The modern overweight and overbuilt bike doesn't work here. It's like bringing your flippin rod to throw BFS lures. :big grin:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:43 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:09 pm
With some weight off the bike, hydraulics and some better riding skills I hope to be able to complete a full circuit on this trail.
Unfortunately, the best place to start with a lighter bike is the frame. It's like trying to put Ti/SIC or Torzite guides on a $50 blank. It's only going to help so much.

But... if you're starting with a $300 blank, then we're talking. ;)

Also, climbing is easier/more efficient on a hard tail. I ditched my full suspension (Specialized S-Works FSR) after about two rides because I found it way to heavy and didn't like the bouncy action on the climb even though that back shock had a lock out adjustment for the climb - it never truly locked out.

The important thing, though, is getting out no matter what you're riding, so good on you! =D> =D>
Cal, Managing Editor

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:54 am

Grab yourself a non electric fatbike and climb some hills with it. You will become Arnold Schwartzenegger in his prime in under year

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:30 am

I already have a 2nd bike. I got a Schwinn Axum for a hard tail XC bike. This is what I ride after work on gravel paths and take to the mtb pump track. Supposedly the best $400 starter bike on the market and when I saw them on blowout at walmart.com for $228 I got one and assembled it. 29x2.6 monster truck wheels on a large frame with a 30t narrow wide and a rear cassette with a 50t big gear. Climbs well and is FAST with the psi bought up for XC riding on those monster trucks. Can't put any power down in 7 or 8 because it will jump the teeth. Need to figure that out.
Red bike is becoming a project bike. I'm probably going to ditch the chineasium air fork and get a chineasium double crown coil fork for durability and reliability. It will basically look and weigh like a heavy enduro bike when its done. This will be the bike I use for the gnarly stuff and when I get into jumps and jumps to flat once I get the new fork. I do not trust the baloney fork at all. If I want air suspension I have to get the good stuff because I weigh so damn much.
Waiting on the 750lb rear spring and barb fitment tool to finish my rear brake line.