Post by KP Duty » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:17 am

CENSORED

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Censorship

Post by Cal » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:08 am

Just kidding.. here's his post:

I'm a member of several large fishing message boards, but only on 1 of them am I and many others frequently censored. Just happened to me yesterday....mentioned something about American Legacy (I abbreviated it a-legacy for convenience), and in the morning there was a red banner across the site saying I violated their policy and was trying to circumvent the spam filter. Got an email also, saying that the name/place I posted has been banned due to spam. It was the same with '13 fishing' when I joined several years ago. I've spent a lot of time on the boards the past 3 years....I've never seen a single ALF spam post on that site or any other. If there was...take care of the spammer and move on. Making it a breach of site rules to merely mention the name of a place seems ludicrous. Do you think these places turned them down for advertising, or maybe the site owner has beef with them?

:lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:05 pm

The site owner is an egomaniac, totally power-drunk. Even a couple of his mods admit this privately. I was temporarily banned several years back, because I "sold too much stuff, so you must be for-profit". I haven't been back since, and I met a lot of nice folks there that I never talk to anymore. Yall know me well enough to know that I never make a profit off of anything. I buy, try, get bored and sell, period. They apparently have no clue about the tackle monkey. :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:05 pm

Lol@ Cal.

Yeah...I think it struck more of a nerve with me due to what is going on nationally and cancel culture. That site does have a lot of good people on it, and if I was wealthy, I'd pull an elon musk and offer more than its worth.
Last edited by KP Duty on Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:06 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:17 am
CENSORED
That was genuinely funny, btw!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:14 pm

The power of the internet made many people wealthy. That same power is giving more power to the people to speak about whatever they want (usually junk). However, when people control narratives through censorship, that's too far. I understand blatantly offensive things should be considered for censorship but, c'mon.

Let people talk and have open dialogue. If there is nothing to hide or be offended by, let it be. People are smart enough and have the tools to voice wrong doings and injustices by those with power.

Forums with site sponsors may have some sort of duty to make sure their sponsors are at the forefront but, organic conversations must still happen.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:47 pm

I'm not banned, but I answered "dead horse" to a senko question and was suspended for a week or something.

Effem. Once in a blue moon if I want to sell I might post, but I try and not waste my time and energy with them sensitive nancies over there.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:28 pm

Have to agree that cancel culture is a joke. If we weren't allowed to say anything or post anything that would hurt someone's feelings, then no one would ever get to speak. Part of life is pain, do people forget we used to hunt and kill each other? The world is so much better now than it has ever been, and people complain about feelings getting hurt. I am just thankful to have indoor plumbing and modern medicine. I think if we all spent the same energy trying to get along as we did fighting that many issues would disappear.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:29 am

HOE LEE SHEETS!!!

If we’re talking about the same forum, I was banned for a similar reason!!!
When I moved from NJ to SC, I had a LOT of North East tackle and was shifting over to South Centralish(?).
I asked if there was a complaint with anyone I had sold to anybody. There wasn’t. I just was selling too much.
To the best of my own personal knowledge, there were 2 instances over 20 years of a problem with tackle and both were resolved.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:50 am

I left that site years ago. I understand the balance a site owner has to maintain … keeping sponsors happy as the site wouldn’t be possible without them but allowing members to mention competitors as long as it’s kept in context and relevant to the discussion. They were so ridiculously one sided the site was reduced to a “what’s your favorite color” level of conversation.

I won’t mention the particular name of the line of soft plastics but back when they became a sponsor their name was injected into as many threads as possible by the mods … it didn’t border on ridiculous, it WAS ridiculous. All of the sudden every mod was crushing giants on them simultaneously … give us a break. The tone of the site turned into one of those poorly acted infomercials and chased a lot of good knowledgeable members and a mod or two away for good. That’s when I left

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:49 pm

Eventually the ban can no longer recognize your IP and you can create a new account there with a burner email if your are a phone poster. Thats what I did and just pretend to be retarded to fit in.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:37 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:49 pm
Eventually the ban can no longer recognize your IP and you can create a new account there with a burner email if your are a phone poster. Thats what I did and just pretend to be retarded to fit in.
LOL. I read that forum occasionally as there are some interesting topics. When I first joined that site several years ago, every thread was a question that made my head hurt. It's gotten better in that regard imo.

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:19 pm

LowRange wrote:
I'm sort of dumb, but even I knew it was you right away :D

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:59 am

Mike son wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:37 pm
LowRange wrote:
LOL. I read that forum occasionally as there are some interesting topics. When I first joined that site several years ago, every thread was a question that made my head hurt. It's gotten better in that regard imo.
The gear IQ can be quite low there but I like to help out newer anglers and discuss budget tackle.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:00 am

rto wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:19 pm
LowRange wrote:
I'm sort of dumb, but even I knew it was you right away :D
:laugh1: