Fenwick Golden Wing series fishing rod?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
QED
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Fenwick Golden Wing series fishing rod?

Post by QED » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:49 pm

I just purchased a new-old-stock (NOS) Fenwick Golden Wing ultralight spinning rod on a whim (it hasn't yet arrived). I have an old Fenwick HMG version of this rod, which I use often. Did a google search but didn't find much in the way of history or other information on the former line of rods. Also, it appears that the over time there may have been more than one iteration of this particular rod series. Anyone have some basic background history on the Fenwick Golden Wing rod series? Thanks in advance for your help.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fenwick Golden Wing series fishing rod?

Post by oops » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:51 pm

Haven't heard these rods mentioned in a long time. I was fairly young when these came out, but they're the rods my dad and I got into bass fishing with. He got Fenwick/Pure Fishing stuff at wholesale so that's largely what we used.

I couldn't tell you all the details on Golden Wing rods, but as I recall, the first many rods we had from the series had a very glossy finish. Later on, the rods had a matte finish, similar to the couple HMG rods we had. I couldn't tell you anything about the technical differences when this changed occurred, if any. I personally think the glossy ones look amazing and the matte ones are a bit run of the mill. They are wonderful rods in my opinion, though obviously they have a lot of sentimental value to me. It's been some time since my father passed away, but I kept all our Golden Wing/Techna AV rods and they still perform well on the rare occasions they come out of storage to play. I have everything from UL spinning rods to the telescopic flipping stick. I don't own a ton of modern rods in that price range, but of the few I own or have owned, I'd say that Golden Wings feel about middle of the pack. The standout rods in that price range absolutely out perform them, but the oldies are just as good if not better feeling than a lot of stuff as well.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:52 am

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:51 pm

There's a few different GWs. Old school USDM, and more recent JDM line.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:01 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:51 pm
The Tiemco website mentions the Golden Wing Tour Edition came out in 05. I don't know if there's a USDM version of the Golden Wing being made any longer but they still make it for the Japanese market.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:38 pm

John G wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:01 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:51 pm
The Tiemco website mentions the Golden Wing Tour Edition came out in 05. I don't know if there's a USDM version of the Golden Wing being made any longer but they still make it for the Japanese market.
No longer USDM, and I don't believe it's still being produced for JDM either. Fenwick JDM has quite a few bass lines. I'd really like to add one to my stable some day.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:38 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:38 pm
No longer USDM, and I don't believe it's still being produced for JDM either. Fenwick JDM has quite a few bass lines. I'd really like to add one to my stable some day.
The Golden Wing is still being produced for the JDM. Instead of me posting a link, just go to the website at the top of the screenshot that I'm posting.

kyty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kyty » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:24 am

The super techna, tpmx, and Aces are
top of the line stuff. The golden wings are pretty darn good too.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:29 am

kyty wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:24 am
The super techna, tpmx, and Aces are
top of the line stuff. The golden wings are pretty darn good too.
I agree with you about the Aces. I just bought one and would love another one. A new Super Techna is out of my price range. LOL
I also just bought a Links and it's also a nice stick. It's not Aces nice but it's still nice.

QED
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by QED » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:50 pm

Thanks everyone for the great info. The particular rod I purchased seems to be a USDM version from the early '90s. Apparently top-of-the-line back then. Works really well for vintage gear. Installed a shimano vanford 500 series reel and 4# test stren mono, so the entire rig weighs < 7 ounces! Not period correct though...