Help Choosing The Right JDM UL

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
RyanRX7
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Help Choosing The Right JDM UL

Post by RyanRX7 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:12 am

My current outfit is the Iprimi 56XXUL paired with an Iprimi 1003 reel. What originally drew me to it was the low lure rating being that I like fishing small finesse jigs and plastics primarily (normally starting at .7g, but I have used it to fish the Trout Magnet mini magnets as well). Have even managed to land quite a few smallmouth with this rod.

The time has finally come to try a true quality JDM rod with the amazing sensitivity I commonly hear about. The Iprimi has been fun but I'm looking for more in the sensitivity department. My standard style of fishing is rivers, streams, and creeks with a relatively slow flow rate targeting bluegill, perch, trout, creek chubs, and smallmouth bass. The baits I most often use are small finesse type jigs and trout/crappie magnets. Normally I would say my lures range from .7g to 2.5g.

Randy was kind enough to point me in the direction of the Lunakia rods or an Abu Garcia Eradicator Real Finesse due to the likelihood of encountering smallmouth. Many of the stream fish I catch are of modest size around 6-8" when it comes to wild browns, bluegill, or perch. Smallmouth in these areas normally range in the 8-14" range with the occasional 16+.

In looking at the Lunakia I see that Chris describes the 6"10" version as more of a hand feel style rod and that's normally what I like. I'm not one to watch my rod tip. What worries me with this selection is the weight of the lures I tend to fish with be on the lower end. I also don't want to loose too much fun with the average size fish I normally catch. When it comes to the Abu it seems the 6'9" XUL is easier to come by than the 6'7" SUL. The line/lure rating appears to be in the range I would prefer but I worry when it comes to the smallmouth I may encounter, is that an issue?

Maybe a the Tict Rockin Finesse would be a wise choice?

I'm of the mind that if I'm going to do this I may as well do it right and get a nice rod, so something mid-high end would make sense. I crave the sensitivity I hear about so often.

I’ve posed this question in a couple forum, apologies to those who may be seeing this more than once.

Any and all help is appreciated.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help Choosing The Right JDM UL

Post by ftl1951 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:58 am

I think Randy is steering you towards the best of those choices with the Eradicator 6’7” SUL. I have bothe the 6’7” and the 6’ 9” XUL and find the 6’7” Slow Taper Special more versatile. I have the 6’10” Lunakia and for what you have described, I think it might be a bit too rigid. It is outstanding for dealing with the larger fish, but it really doesn’t compare to the Eradicator. I think one of the reasons the 6’7” SUL is difficult to find is because it is so popular. Also, I have the Tict and find it very fun to fish as well, but given a choice, I’d stick with the Eradicator.

RyanRX7
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by RyanRX7 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:15 am

Thank you for the reply.

Would the versatility with the Eradicator SUL over the XUL be in the lures you can fish or more so with the fish you can handle?

Real shame the only one I’ve been able to find has an insane markup.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:06 am

Each can handle similar weight lures, but the XUL is a bit softer in its feel. I know the Australian seller has a ridiculous price on the 6’7” as it is more popular, hence the price gouge. I have seen the SUL on a site for just over $400. PM me and I’ll share the info. That is still high, but not as high as the boys down under…