MB Hyuga 72H/Super Red Demon, what rod sits in between?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: MB Hyuga 72H/Super Red Demon, what rod sits in between?

Post by LowRange » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:05 am

dragon1 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:38 am
Friggin' NOICE!

Can't wait to read your thoughts on it. Cal's review was actually very positive overall on this rod, the aramid veil aside, it weighs a bit less than other JDM rods in this price range unless you get into the $600-$700+ stratosphere.

I really use a lot of rods that can handle 3/4-1.5 with ease but don't want a meat stick. Mostly I want it to handle 1-2 oz total weight spinnerbaits and topwaters/wakes with some 1/2-1 jigs + trailer.

I'll mostly be using 15-17 lb CXX or 40 lb braid.
I can confirm that if you want a big jig stick or a light weight rod for 2 oz then this one is not for you. The rod has the right taper and is light but man is it tip heavy. Its not a tip up rod and you'd have to put it on a scale to belive it only weighs 5.3 oz. It does throw 3 oz well and might even be capable of 4 oz. I've got baits on the way to try. It maybe isn't as buttery a caster as the Huyga with that fast tip but it certainly can handle big baits the Hyuga can not.

One nice thing I found is that if standing and working a glide bait with downward twitches then the rod is pretty nice and that 5.3 oz weight feels like I can do it all day. Its really only tip heavy if you keep it tip up. Contrast this with a rod like the XXH Valkaryie that weighs almost 3 times as much and floats in your hand. While it floats tip up, twitching that rod will wear you out because there is no way around the laws of physics here. Maybe megabass will develop a quantum nano resin in a future rod line.

Definitely a step up in power over the Hyuga 72H but keep that tip down or it'll wear you out.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: MB Hyuga 72H/Super Red Demon, what rod sits in between?

Post by dragon1 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:44 pm

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."