Evergreen Orion Black Rose

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Evergreen Orion Black Rose

Post by Mike son » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:10 pm

So I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this rod as a replacement to an NRX 873c. Read through a bunch of post plus Cal's review on here. A lot of what I gathered is people using it for large swimbaits. Cal mentioned he threw a 1/4oz swimjig plus trailer and he liked it at the low end. Anyone use this rod for something like 3/8oz-1oz jigs? Something like 3/8oz jigs up to 1oz dark sleeper. Watched a youtube video of a guy using it for frogging with what was probably a 1/2oz frog so I'd think all of what I mentioned is in the rod's wheelhouse. How's the balance with a ~7oz reel? (morethan pe tw and 16lb fluoro) I've got another rod dedicated to large swimbaits so I'm not looking for redundancy. Just want to get some feedback before I pull the trigger.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Evergreen Orion Black Rose

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:01 pm

Mike son wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:10 pm
So I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this rod as a replacement to an NRX 873c. Read through a bunch of post plus Cal's review on here. A lot of what I gathered is people using it for large swimbaits. Cal mentioned he threw a 1/4oz swimjig plus trailer and he liked it at the low end. Anyone use this rod for something like 3/8oz-1oz jigs? Something like 3/8oz jigs up to 1oz dark sleeper. Watched a youtube video of a guy using it for frogging with what was probably a 1/2oz frog so I'd think all of what I mentioned is in the rod's wheelhouse. How's the balance with a ~7oz reel? (morethan pe tw and 16lb fluoro) I've got another rod dedicated to large swimbaits so I'm not looking for redundancy. Just want to get some feedback before I pull the trigger.
Surprisingly, not many members seem to own many Orion models. I own two, but not the one in question.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:50 am

Hogsticker, a couple members have/had the black rose I've noticed from their posts via the search. Thought maybe more might be out there so I made this post versus PMing q an individual member here. Been digging the lightning strike, appreciated your feedback on it. I'll probably just pull the trigger on the black rose tonight even if I get no feedback on it. I just wanted to know if the rods at home more in the 1/4oz-1oz range or 1oz-3oz range. Damn EG rod ratings.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:38 am

It'll handle what you have in mind just fine.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:13 pm

I’ve got a black rose and think it will fit your needs nicely. Honestly, it can handle just about any application in its weight range. I’ve mostly used mine for 1oz+ treble hook baits, 3/4-1oz spinners, and jig/worm applications in the 3/8-1oz range. If you get the rod, I highly suggest using it for a heavy football jig or big worm sometime. The black rose feels like magic for those applications, at least in my hands anyway

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:23 pm

Mike son wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:50 am
Hogsticker, a couple members have/had the black rose I've noticed from their posts via the search. Thought maybe more might be out there so I made this post versus PMing q an individual member here. Been digging the lightning strike, appreciated your feedback on it. I'll probably just pull the trigger on the black rose tonight even if I get no feedback on it. I just wanted to know if the rods at home more in the 1/4oz-1oz range or 1oz-3oz range. Damn EG rod ratings.
No kidding on those ratings!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:07 am

This is a good topic on the rod.
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=86097

Basically its like the Megabass Huyga 72H but better in every way and more of a bottom contact rod too.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:22 pm

Appreciate all the input guys, I ended up ordering the yesterday. I just found it odd that a lot of the marketing from EG was "ya it can throw a balam" and then very little besides heavy cover fishing texas rigs. I suppose because it came out before the Throne that it was marketed to fill the niche of big bait rod within the Orion series while also being able to handle ripping bass from heavy cover just due to the fact that it was a H+ rod. It should work well for the moderate to heavy cover single hook baits I plan to use it for. I'm excited to get out with it. The lakes are all frozen by me, but I could drag a 1/4oz weighted skinny dipper for winter river smallmouth just to get a taste of what the rod can do.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:44 pm

I need to be convinced to get one of these and a JDM Zillion HD. Heavy flouro as a jig rod, big plastics and smaller swimbaits up to 2.5 oz. This seem reasonable? I have rods that can do this but they are all heavy and I don't want to jig with a 72H Hyuga + Tatula 200 or 72H+ wild side + Lexa 300.
Last edited by LowRange on Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:04 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:44 pm
I need to be convinced to get one of these and a JDM Zillion HD. Heavy flouro as a jig rod, big plastics and smaller swimbaits up to 2.5 oz. This seem reasonable? I have rods that can do this but they are all heavy and I don't want to jig with a 72H Hyuga + Tatula 200 or 72H+ wild side + Lexa 300.
Zillion HD or maybe even a Morethan ? I dont like the gold accents on the morethan but thats just me.
you should get the setup while you can and see how you like it.. I would have gotten a rose but went with a dead sword because of my agenda for swimbaits but I may still get the rose later in the summer if its still available
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:23 pm

Mike son wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:22 pm
Appreciate all the input guys, I ended up ordering the yesterday. I just found it odd that a lot of the marketing from EG was "ya it can throw a balam" and then very little besides heavy cover fishing texas rigs. I suppose because it came out before the Throne that it was marketed to fill the niche of big bait rod within the Orion series while also being able to handle ripping bass from heavy cover just due to the fact that it was a H+ rod. It should work well for the moderate to heavy cover single hook baits I plan to use it for. I'm excited to get out with it. The lakes are all frozen by me, but I could drag a 1/4oz weighted skinny dipper for winter river smallmouth just to get a taste of what the rod can do.
Sweet. Please let me know what you think of it when you can - much appreciated 👍

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:12 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:04 pm
LowRange wrote:
Zillion HD or maybe even a Morethan ? I dont like the gold accents on the morethan but thats just me.
you should get the setup while you can and see how you like it.. I would have gotten a rose but went with a dead sword because of my agenda for swimbaits but I may still get the rose later in the summer if its still available
I would go with the JDM Zillion HD. I was going to get a 73MH PA but I think that rod is too soft and has too much cross over with my gen 1 Zodias 72M. I've been eying a do all rod to use for stuff too heavy for my #1 kayak stick, the 72M Zodias. I have also been on a short H+ and XH rod trip lately so this Black Rose has my interest. Basically a shorter do all stick I can take and skip and target cast heavier weightless plastics like 5" Dead Fin Darkers, 5" Cover Craws, Dark Sleepers, Sleeper gill, 3/8+ Texas rigs and jigs then tie on a Beast Hook paddle tail, Magdraft or 5" 2.5 oz 3D Bluegill. Something for the kayaks and pond prowler that can do a lot and bridge the gap between my regular rods and short XH rods while also being my bottom contact rod since I don't really have a good one. Just an old heavy EMTF that's more of a specialty rod for dark sleepers and gillys these days.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:54 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:12 pm
goldrod wrote:
LowRange wrote:
I would go with the JDM Zillion HD. I was going to get a 73MH PA but I think that rod is too soft and has too much cross over with my gen 1 Zodias 72M. I've been eying a do all rod to use for stuff too heavy for my #1 kayak stick, the 72M Zodias. I have also been on a short H+ and XH rod trip lately so this Black Rose has my interest. Basically a shorter do all stick I can take and skip and target cast heavier weightless plastics like 5" Dead Fin Darkers, 5" Cover Craws, Dark Sleepers, Sleeper gill, 3/8+ Texas rigs and jigs then tie on a Beast Hook paddle tail, Magdraft or 5" 2.5 oz 3D Bluegill. Something for the kayaks and pond prowler that can do a lot and bridge the gap between my regular rods and short XH rods while also being my bottom contact rod since I don't really have a good one. Just an old heavy EMTF that's more of a specialty rod for dark sleepers and gillys these days.
The Youtube videos I mentioned earlier where I saw a guy throwing a frog with the Black Rose fishes from a kayak. I watched several of his vids to get an idea of the taper of the rod and see what he was throwing on it. Used that and the inputs found here on TT plus Cal's review of the rod to help make my decision. The guy did throw some swimbaits with the rod amongst other baits. I think it'll work for your needs. The rod will be playing a similar role for me. I'll link his channel if you want to browse some of his videos. https://www.youtube.com/@dvangfishing6506/videos
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:23 pm
Mike son wrote:
Sweet. Please let me know what you think of it when you can - much appreciated 👍
Got the rod on Friday. Definitely a stout rod. Will post an update when I get some time with it. Balances about 1cm in front of the lock nut with a Morethan PE TW.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:22 pm

Mike son wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:54 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:12 pm
goldrod wrote:
LowRange wrote:
The Youtube videos I mentioned earlier where I saw a guy throwing a frog with the Black Rose fishes from a kayak. I watched several of his vids to get an idea of the taper of the rod and see what he was throwing on it. Used that and the inputs found here on TT plus Cal's review of the rod to help make my decision. The guy did throw some swimbaits with the rod amongst other baits. I think it'll work for your needs. The rod will be playing a similar role for me. I'll link his channel if you want to browse some of his videos. https://www.youtube.com/@dvangfishing6506/videos
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:23 pm
Mike son wrote:
Got the rod on Friday. Definitely a stout rod. Will post an update when I get some time with it. Balances about 1cm in front of the lock nut with a Morethan PE TW.
that youtube not loading...
was revisiting this rod just because.. great read
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:14 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:22 pm

that youtube not loading...
was revisiting this rod just because.. great read
Maybe this will work, https://www.youtube.com/@dvangfishing

My update for the Black Rose is short. Was able to get one or two fish on a 1/4oz football jig and skinny dipper over the winter dragging it for winter river smallmouth in one outing. Rod is way overkill for those fish but it is definitely very sensitive. Casts oddly satisfying with an overhand cast. Hard to describe, just drop the tip behind you and grab that butt end on the forward stroke and it just launches. Been throwing a large half oz jig and sweet beaver for ice out largies and also got one or two, the jig is not the hot bait for me at the moment. Again, very sensitive with plenty of power. Particularly for long casts in deep water. The real test will be in a week or two when I can target Lake Michigan smallmouth in Chicago with 3/4oz dark sleepers and 1/2oz football jigs. I expect the rod to perform great.