UPS does it again

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

UPS does it again

Post by GamblerHydra » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:28 pm

I just got my new jade Python, and the pvc container was damaged. The top section was crushed. I picked up the container and the rod literally was falling out. It looks like it was taken out as well , and then badly put back in.

No visible damage at first , though I am very concerned at this point due to the blow that would have broken the tube. I get down to the reel seat, and the stealth housing was damaged/dented in. A 500 dollar rod just shot.

I am in the house the whole time, you think the ups guy would have had the decency to stop and knock and wait for me to inspect the damage. He had to know it was damaged, but he just left it anyways.

I can not wait for the ups guy to come back and get it. I am going to light into him.

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: UPS does it again

Post by dampeoples » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:38 pm

Why? Probably not his fault anyway.
I carry for the USPS, and get damaged stuff all the time, I put a sticker on it and go about my business. I don't handle claims (he probably doesn't either), and refer everyone to the manager.

I don't know firsthand, but I don't think those guys even load their own trucks.

Sorry about your rod though, that does suck.

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:00 pm

SAME THING HERE, TODAY!

GOT HOME, AND A CARDBOARD TUBE (BAD CHOICE OF CONTAINERS!) WAS ON THE PORCH, LEFT WHILE MY WIFE AND SON WERE HOME. IT WAS BENT ALMOST IN HALF! THERE WAS AN INK STAMP ALL OVER IT SAYING "DAMAGED DURING SHIPMENT", BUT THE CARRIER DID NOT RING DOOR BELL, KNOWING IT COULD HAVE BEEN DAMGED INSIDE CONTAINER!!! HE SHOULD HAVE HAD SOMEONE INSPECT IT BEFORE LEAVING IT!!! UPS SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS!!!!

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:01 pm

OH! FORGOT!

ROD DOES NOT "SEEM" TO BE DAMAGED. :?

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:25 pm

dampeoples wrote:Why? Probably not his fault anyway.
How about common courtesy ? Actually, I called UPS by the way, and they said the driver should have knocked and made me aware since I was home. I could have refused it right then. It was not marked damaged, but he had called and reported it damaged , so they knew right away what I was talking about. I am not sure what the protocol really is , but I would think if you could save a trip, especially with the cost of rising gas prcies it would beneift UPS. The guy looked like he was running in the olympics. Now a special trip will need to be made. They said a driver will stop by tomorrow up to 3 times. ???? I guess I am just use to fed-ex, and the post office drivers , becuase they stop everytime if there is damage.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:30 pm

ah CRAP im gettin a rod Setyr on MON from the UPS I hope its not messed up or I will SH^^^^^^T a brick....ON THEM! :x Ive had bad things happen with the USPS as well. Like they left all my reels and rods leaning up against the MAILBOX! :x
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:44 pm

MB USA won't ship USPS anymore. It seems the Post Office has problems with insurance (especially when somebody has the nerve to make a claim). ;)

Personally, I like USPS and have only had one rod arrive broken and that was with UPS. I actually caught the driver before he left my carport and was able to refuse the damaged rod. Too bad your situation didn't go like that GH. :(
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:52 pm

mhood wrote:MB USA won't ship USPS anymore. It seems the Post Office has problems with insurance (especially when somebody has the nerve to make a claim). ;)

Personally, I like USPS and have only had one rod arrive broken and that was with UPS. I actually caught the driver before he left my carport and was able to refuse the damaged rod. Too bad your situation didn't go like that GH. :(
Marc ... I am getting old, the guy was to fast.
It was like he was in the Olympic 100M. I actually gid get few $%&**&&&^ words out as he was speeding off. :lol:

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:55 pm

yea your gettin old you double posted. haha =))))
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Bass Pro
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass Pro » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:12 pm

They are all pretty rough with handling packages (fedex ups usps etc). A "fragile" sticker on a box is pretty much a joke to them.

I once had to go to a Fed Ex loading station to get a package that they didn't deliver due to needing a signature confirmation. And while I was there the guy goes into the back, where all the packages are lined up about to go on the trucks for delivery, and he just kicks and throws the boxes out of the way until he finds my package.

As I was leaving they were starting to load the trucks- it was a total nightmare. They pretty much just back the truck up to the loading dock and have two guys that take the packages and just throw them into the back of the truck and one guy in the truck stacks them up. It's a total shame.

woodman6035
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by woodman6035 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:25 pm

That is terrible, and those guys make good money.

Fishing Fanboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishing Fanboy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:54 pm

I had this happen with two of my rods just yesterday. The box had a huge gash from side to side in the middle that somebody taped up. It was also flattened in the middle section. Inside both rods had bent 1st guides. My Yo-zuri fishing line was missing too. :roll:

woodman6035
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by woodman6035 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:15 pm

Wow...I feel very fortunate that nothing bad has ever happened to me with mail order stuff. Guess I'd better knock on wood.

REW
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by REW » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:24 pm

I do a lot of shipping, and get a lot of packages, and have learned a lot about how the couriers treat packages. Some load, and other have the trucks loaded for them. However, regardless of who is loading, they are ALWAYS in a hurry, and in the mornings, they are loaded seemingly beyond capacity. As such, to them, anything is fair game. I have literally seen guys using packages as stepping stools, tossing packages out of the trucks and onto the ground, shutting doors on boxes, and the like. The only thing that matters to them is making all of their stops. Sure, some of the newer guys are paranoid of being fired, and are extra careful, but most of the veterans cut any corner possible. They would rather deal with a few insurance claims than reduce time to completion.

As far as waiting goes, they will only do that if they want to kill time, or need a signature. Otherwise, everything is left at the door, or held for pickup at the local facility. Also, the 3 try policy is standard with them. They will try to contact you in person, at the shipping address three times. Beyond that, you have to reschedule, or go to the station yourself.

I should say, though, that FedEx seems to have the best success rate, as they typically have a lower volume per driver. They still aren't perfect, but they have a slight edge over UPS, and are way ahead of DHL.

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:33 pm

You want a strange delivery story... read on. I was awaiting a Fed Ex delivery one afternoon, and decided to check the progress on line. The web said that the package had just been delivered 5 minutes earlier. It stated that no one was home and the package was left on the porch. I went and looked and there was no package. I then called Fed Ex and asked what was going on. They said they would call the driver and check, and call back within an hour. They never did call.

The next day the package was delivered, by the USPS. The Fed Ex labels had been torn off and replaced with priority mail stickers. The package had been mailed from a town about 15 miles from our home.

I'm still not sure what happened, but obviously the driver had lied when he made his computer entry about making the delivery.