Zillion HLC

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion HLC

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:47 am

TommyG wrote:Zil HLC 1516.1.jpg
Zil HLC 1516.4.jpg
Decided to go with a new model HLC
What is this reel?
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:05 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
TommyG wrote:Zil HLC 1516.1.jpg
Zil HLC 1516.4.jpg
Decided to go with a new model HLC
What is this reel?
2017 Zillion HLC, built on Zillion TW frame.
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php ... 2&start=30
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:10 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Thats great news! But why did you swap the stock handle for some $10 ebay one?

Because original wasn't nice looking in my eyes and it wasn't ergonomically good in my fingers and it didn't provide enough friction to my fingers. That I swapped is better. But of course I keep this original crank in safe if I want to change it back. That $18 crank was cheapest that I found in Ebay (carbon, swept form, not too long) that would work. I just didn't find a reason to place more money for crank.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:51 am

jvelth74 wrote:Succes! My OG HLC Zillion is not broken! And I love it! I found that in distance casts HLC Zillions braking profile is logical and there is reasonable effect of adjustment.

Only issue was line. 0.40 Monofilament (Sufix Synergy) was too thick and stiff and there was too much memory. I spooled it with 0.20 mm line which I bought 1,2 km for 4 Euros for testing this reel (and Steez 103 spool in SV Zillion).
Could you use braided line with a long mono shock leader instead of such think mono...?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:23 am

^ Yes of course, but I have a bad experience with braided line and long monofilament leader. Double Uni will not work because it will not go easily through rings. FG knot will go throuugh rings but it still seems to wear out shortly and it should be tied again all the while. By those distance casts I had very cheap and thin mono, which was tied to long shock leader by surgeons knot. That works otherwise, but knot in spool must be placed to edge of spool. (Center placed knot will destoy thumb.) But this was only casting testing.

For fishing situation I must find another line. 0.30 mm Trabucco Super Cast would work for sure because it works in smaller reel (SV Zillion). But I would like to use stronger and thicker line than (more hydrodynamic lift, shallower swimming lures). I think my options are prtetty much 0.35 mm Trabucco Super Cast or 0.35 mm (or 0.40 mm) Trabucco Super Soft. Braider I will not use in my OG HLC Zillion because I use braided in my smaller reels and HLC Zillion has old style slow level winder and moreover I will use HLC Zillion mostly in icing conditions.

Hmmm…I thought further this line issue:

Because my SV Zillion’s original spool with always more or less as spare, why I don’t use same usable line with HLC Zillion. With that line HLC at will have good casting properties. But that’s true that line is not too tough and I have loosen a few expensive lures with it. But I think my choices actually are 0.30 mm Super Cast or 0.35 mm Super Soft. Casting properties vs. strength. And to mono can be tied leader with surgeon’s knot. Then I can use a long leader which is as thick as needed. Surgeon’s knot goes nicely through rings at that mono to mono knot wouldn’t worn out like braid to mono knots.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:53 pm

I bought 0.35 mm Trabucco Super Soft. There was room only for 100 meters of line. I tested reel today with that line. Reel (and line) worked perfectly! But there's no enough line for power casts. With 50 grams I must hit thumb to spool in the middle of cast. And also with 30 grams I could cast almost all lines out. So I have to think to use this 0.35 mm (with limited line length) or use 0.30 mm (with limited strength). But it's fine reel and both line options are fine. New aftermarket crank was good even with frozen fingers in freezing conditions. (It beginned to create thin ice on surface of lake.) I looked that my old 5500 C Hi-Speed (reel from 70's or early 80's) needs better crank. In my opinion HLC Zillions original crank looks out good in this reel! There's place where that crank stays safe! And it's ergonomically best of available cranks.
Attachments
HLC crank.JPG
HLC crank.JPG (42.59 KiB) Viewed 4824 times

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:19 pm

So of those that have had the opportunity to fish both the TD Zillion version and TWS version of the HLC, can we get some comparison views?
<")))><{

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:43 am

Fishing with OG HLC Zillion. It works perfect in this combo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgrERJpsDsE

Very nice reel for this purpose indeed.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:47 pm

Reel is perfect for casting bombarda + fly. And this rod is good as well. But I need to educate me more:

https://youtu.be/fd_JV4tzBx0

Replaced vide by nicer one from same trip.

After long fishing day I liked to play a little and try how it flies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA5bRF_K0Oo

And it flew 5.2 seconds which is decent in my opinion.

Rod is Abu Garcia Svartzonker 12´2" H and reel is this (Original) Daiwa 08 TD-Zillion HLC. Main line was 0.20 mm mono and 0.40 mm 6 m shock leader. 60 g floating bombarda. 3 m fluoro leader and fly.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:17 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:10 am
LgMouthGambler wrote:Thats great news! But why did you swap the stock handle for some $10 ebay one?

Because original wasn't nice looking in my eyes and it wasn't ergonomically good in my fingers and it didn't provide enough friction to my fingers. That I swapped is better. But of course I keep this original crank in safe if I want to change it back. That $18 crank was cheapest that I found in Ebay (carbon, swept form, not too long) that would work. I just didn't find a reason to place more money for crank.
This (handle thing) is still true thing in OG HLC....Yes yes, I decided to switch as it deserved, my Original HLC back to Original:
rsz_original_hlc.jpg
rsz_original_hlc.jpg (48.63 KiB) Viewed 996 times
I don't use this reel that much and I use it only for casting bombarda + fly, and in this kind of fishing there's no any feel of cranking. Just reel and look bombarda moving. (Also changed original crank to 5500 C.)

But now I have new issue, in 1514 HLC:
1514 HLC.jpg
1514 HLC.jpg (35.64 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
which I might have already solved. I don't like to use cork knobs. But now I'm planning to purchase this titanium knob crank to it:
Handle for 1514.jpg
Handle for 1514.jpg (30.5 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
Actually now I remembered these SLP Works skeleton knobs... Might these Zaion knobs fit to 1514's original handle?
Zaion knob.jpg
Zaion knob.jpg (20.78 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
Those with deep purple knob cap's might be acceptable.

But now I found another one puzzle. Is dragstar in 1514 made of aluminum? Anybody knows is there available longarm purple aluminium dragstar for 1514? (Or longarm purple dragstar made of Zaion for 1514?)

Ordered one crank and several knobb's...But purple dragstar I couldn't find for 1514 HLC.

...Oukkidoukki...Probably there's no any purple dragstar available for this reel. And shaft tension knob has nice clicks, so I'm not replacing that to some purple one maybe without clicks. Hoping that I will like that titanun knobbed crank and can use that. Corks are not that bad I remembered, but the shape is not what I like.
jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:23 am
^ Yes of course, but I have a bad experience with braided line and long monofilament leader. Double Uni will not work because it will not go easily through rings. FG knot will go throuugh rings but it still seems to wear out shortly and it should be tied again all the while.
Poor boy :oops: But luckily after that I bought FG-Knot assist tool and managed to correctly learn FG knot and none of them has failed after that. Currently I make FG's mostly without tool. Like in this video: