Daiwa Z2020

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Z2020

Post by LowRange » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:00 am

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:48 pm
Bump...

Anyone done any other mods and tuning to the Z2020/Z200 aside cosmetics and bearings? Also, what aftermarket spools are currently available?

TIA.
There is a SV type long cast cool for these on aliexpress.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:07 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:00 am
dragon1 wrote:
Bump...

Anyone done any other mods and tuning to the Z2020/Z200 aside cosmetics and bearings? Also, what aftermarket spools are currently available?

TIA.
Thanks Daren,

Have you found any advantage to these spools, aside having the availability of another spool? FWIW to me, "SV Long Cast" is a bit contradictory, especially when the OG RCS 2020 spool + 3D works so well in long cast mode + proper mag dial settings.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:11 am

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:07 am
LowRange wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
Bump...

TIA.
Thanks Daren,

Have you found any advantage to these spools, aside having the availability of another spool? FWIW to me, "SV Long Cast" is a bit contradictory, especially when the OG RCS 2020 spool + 3D works so well in long cast mode + proper mag dial settings.
Actually I was wrong. These are for the 1516 reels like Ryoga, Zillion TWS. Dallienf has some experience with the spool. The long cast SV spools just use a stiffer spring to make the spools faster. The SV brake is incredibly easy to manufacture and why all the chinease spools use them. When they want to make a longer casting power fishing spool they just make a deep version of a Ray's spool with a stiffer spring. I have one for the old Tatula/Tatula 150 in an old Type R I use for all things 3/8 to 1/2 oz total weight. It can sling with good enough distance and then skip under a dock. Its not Elite Long Cast or 16 Zillion SV spool but it's in the ballpark and breaths new life into the old Tatula platform.

Back to the original question there was a Daiwa spools that is shallower for these reels. The RCS 2014. It takes the capacity down to a normal 100 spool. Goldrod uses one in a Z as a punching reel. I'm happy with the stock spool myself. Mine is on an old slant bridge for throwing big baits and mag deep cranks around 1-3 oz with braid. The weight transfer and long casting stuff gets Long Cast mode on the 3D selector and the big clumsy casting glides get Max Brake. I'll sometimes use Max Brake when casting Gatarels and Gantarel Jrs around cover and shore at dusk. Kinda hard to see and I will overshoot in All Around mode sometimes.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:44 am

Thanks Mango...that's what I gathered. Aftermarket spools for the Z2020/Z200 have been like hens teeth for quite a while now. That's a gorgeous combo BTW! I'll have to look into that handle set for one of my Z's!

I have a couple of Z2020H reels, currently one is on a custom MHX CB 907 and the other on an OG Megabass Orochi Cyber Shootist 7'11"...both are absolute launchers regardless of type line essentially.

FWIW, I have used the Z2020H on every MH/H/swimbait type rod I have owned and it has worked well on all of them. A Z2020H on my Evergreen TKIC Super Stallion was also great earlier this year for 3/4-1 oz oversized chatters + 4.3-4.8 Keitechs and big spinnerbaits with oversized blades, and then launching 1-1.5 oz Topwaters.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:28 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:11 am
dragon1 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
Bump...

TIA.
Thanks Daren,

Actually I was wrong. These are for the 1516 reels like Ryoga, Zillion TWS. Dallienf has some experience with the spool. The long cast SV spools just use a stiffer spring to make the spools faster. The SV brake is incredibly easy to manufacture and why all the chinease spools use them. When they want to make a longer casting power fishing spool they just make a deep version of a Ray's spool with a stiffer spring. I have one for the old Tatula/Tatula 150 in an old Type R I use for all things 3/8 to 1/2 oz total weight. It can sling with good enough distance and then skip under a dock. Its not Elite Long Cast or 16 Zillion SV spool but it's in the ballpark and breaths new life into the old Tatula platform.

Back to the original question there was a Daiwa spools that is shallower for these reels. The RCS 2014. It takes the capacity down to a normal 100 spool. Goldrod uses one in a Z as a punching reel. I'm happy with the stock spool myself. Mine is on an old slant bridge for throwing big baits and mag deep cranks around 1-3 oz with braid. The weight transfer and long casting stuff gets Long Cast mode on the 3D selector and the big clumsy casting glides get Max Brake. I'll sometimes use Max Brake when casting Gatarels and Gantarel Jrs around cover and shore at dusk. Kinda hard to see and I will overshoot in All Around mode sometimes.
i have another on the shelf awaiting a rod that is being built. Parts came in late so hopefully i will get my hands on it this month. I can hardly wait. The rod is being built on a Phenix blank.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:05 am

Makes me miss my 2020, hopefully Plat can get the parts in so mine can be fixed.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:32 am

goldrod wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:28 am
LowRange wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
Bump...

TIA.
Thanks Daren,

i have another on the shelf awaiting a rod that is being built. Parts came in late so hopefully i will get my hands on it this month. I can hardly wait. The rod is being built on a Phenix blank.
Are you still waiting on your Low Down Custom rod?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:10 am

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:32 am
goldrod wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:28 am
LowRange wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Thanks Daren,

[/quo

Are you still waiting on your Low Down Custom rod?

No Sir
Gave up on that and decided to build swiimbait rod for a setup
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:10 am

Seems like Z2020 is back, at least in catalog? https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item3/ ... index.html Is it meaning it will share machinery parts with Z Limitbreakead and Daiwa seeks benefitfs for bigger manufacturing volume?

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:58 pm

What parts are prone to breaking?

What parts are not available?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:46 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:58 pm
What parts are prone to breaking?

What parts are not available?
The mag dial mechanism with the teeth (part #96) that turns the mag settings on mine broke...after 10 years. The palming sideplate screw (and metal apparatus that holds it in place) that tightens and locks the sideplate to the frame, over years of use and being overtightened, broke away from the sideplate...my OG sideplate is held on with black electrical tape now, lol. Works fine otherwise as Ian repaired the broken mag dial piece with the plastic teeth. I also ordered another set of 6.4:1 gears as mine is now 13 years old and the gears are tired and worn...still smooth, but not "Z" smooth, and there is noticeable play in the pinion and spool/pin engagement.

Luckily I picked up a very low mileage one late last year from a fellow that just wasn't found of it so I have another almost new Z2020H in my lineup!