Scorpion metanium or Reg Scorpion SF?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Scorpion metanium or Reg Scorpion SF?

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:52 am

Im bidding on both and if one looses which one should i go after? If i can get both great, but for the money which is a better reel. I know the metanium is discontinued, but thats what drew me to it. Any comments on which is a better reel would be welcome.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Scorpion metanium or Reg Scorpion SF?

Post by Cal » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:39 am

Skeeter,

Are you referring to the Scorpion 1000 vs the Metanium XT? There are two older versions of the Metanium XT (the red and the grey). Also, there's the discontinued Metanium MG.

Between all these reels, it depends what you value in performance. All come with a short handle. The Metanium reels have stronger overall drag. The Scorpion 1000's cast better than the Metaniums. The Metaniums have more line capacity and a larger profile that may or may not be more comfortable in your palm. The Scorpion 1000's have an external brake control adjustment.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:24 am

its the grey with the TI coated spool. Equiv to the chronarch sf im guessing, but more refined.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:57 am

Ok.. yes, the old, grey Metanium XT is the Chronarch SF equivelant. I had one and did not feel any difference between it and the Chronarch SF. The differences I noted above still stand between the Met's and Scorp 1000s.

However, the Scorp 1000s compared to the 2005 Metanium XT.... :roll: :wink:
Cal, Managing Editor

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:05 am

I have the chron Sf and love it but ive been wanting to get a scorpion and try it out to see what its all about. :twisted: Just never really bought anything off of ebay and only have 6 hours left, so i just wanted to get some opinions.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:42 am

Read the review at the Enthusiast section in the home page. I have the 3 reels, the Chronarch SF the Curado SF and the Scorpion, IMHO, the only drawback I see in the the Scorpion it´s in the drag department, it´s a little "weak" compared to the SFs as for the rest it´s a much better reel than the Curado SF and comparable to the Chronarch SF, but I don´t use the Scorpion when I´m on the hunt for big momma, but fish around 5 pounds are no match for the reel even though it´s a little soft on the drag.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:45 am

thanks raul. the drag shouldnt be that big of a factor for me since im not catching 10lbers here in missouri.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:22 pm

I´ve been to your neck of the woods, back in 2001, October 22 to be exact, great place to visit ! great place to eat ! we went to an italian restaurant ( can´t remember the name :roll: ) in the italian section of the city, the best steak I´ve ever tasted in my life, the meat was so soft that you could cut it with the fork, also I went to the Western Expansion Memorial museum ( didn´t took the ride in the arch, it was windy, I just can´t stand heights ), went to visit the School of Veterinary Medicine at the University, went to the Budweiser plant to see how they manufacture the brewskies, went to the Zoo and obviously went to BPS StCharles, they nailed me there with 900 bucks of merchandise !, I stayed at the Spanish Pavillion right next to the Cardinal´s Stadium, the only thing I missed were the botanical gardens. Beautiful city you live in. One of these days I´m going to take my wife and kids there, when they are old enough to remember and see what I saw, the changing colors of Fall, something they will never see down here. Everything is either green during the rainy season or brown/yellow during the dry season.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:35 pm

yea im right across the street from that bass pro in saint charles and its not good! :wink:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:00 pm

skeeterboy77 wrote: ive been wanting to get a scorpion and try it out to see what its all about.
oh the famous last words of every would be tackle enthusiast... :twisted:

It is a fun reel to use, that's for certain Skeet :)
Cal, Managing Editor

UT_VOLS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by UT_VOLS » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:07 pm

I have bought a ton of stuff off EBAY And had no problems. I use PAYPAL for most all transactions. Just check sellers feedback. Also check your E-MAIL carefully once you buy stuff. People will try and send E-MAIL's like they are from E-BAY or PAYPAL (they look the same). asking for info. NEVER do anything unless you sign in at EBAY or PAYPAL I have seen a few fake requests. They are PHISHING. E-BAT is great just be aware for the crooks of the world.

Mark

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:18 pm

yea its from some person named "bassinstuff" and he/she has 700 or so feedbacks with one bad response so i figure he/she is a pretty good seller.

UT_VOLS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by UT_VOLS » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:28 pm

A few negatives; you need to make your own decision but I would feel safe. Just remember you can't make everyone happy. I checked out the reel and seller. Looks fine to me the negative was along time ago and delt with a shipping issue(cost of shipping). looks like buyer did not see shipping costs. You should be fine.

Mark

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:37 pm

you can trust "bassinstuff" ... he and I have done business back and forth on several occasions.
Cal, Managing Editor

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:49 pm

man i oppreciate everything cal and mark it makes it easier to buy. :lol:
I was just a little worried about getting a reel off of ebay. Thanks! got only 4 hours left to wait haha.