Zonda clicking star converter kit?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Zonda clicking star converter kit?

Post by trent_s » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:17 am

Just got my Zonda 68, and was under the impression it had no clickies on the cc, which was fine, but it also has none on the drag star....not fine lol.

I know TT has the a kit, which the lefty is sold out at the moment.

What are my options, as far as this is concerned? Are there other kits out there that work as well? And what have your experiences been, for those who have installed one?

Also looking to change dragstars, I know the PXR will work with Tackle Trap's kit, which is a better looking star than what I have...will any kits work with other stars? And do I need to replace the CC cap?

Thanks guys!

small headache, I like the reel though :doh:

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zonda clicking star converter kit?

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:24 am

if you change the drag star to steez\zillion\hh you need the px r cc cap for more clearance.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:36 am

One of the reasons ive held off for so long on the zonda. I could care less about a clicking cc, but if it doesnt have a clicking dragstar its really a disappointment for me.

I would just contact Gary and see how long the wait is for the kit.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:37 am

cndbasshunter wrote:if you change the drag star to steez\zillion\hh you need the px r cc cap for more clearance.
Gotcha thanks. If I wanted to build my own, since it's sold out...could I just order the parts listed but for the Zillion, so the clicker worked with Zillion size star, or are the Zillion parts too big (diameter) or long to fit the Sol/Zonda?
(it is my understanding the kit only works with PXR or pixy stars, although I could be way off)

Also "hh" drawing a blank...?

Bubbleboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bubbleboy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:12 am

I'll be following this thread as the Zonda 68 is likely the next reel on my list

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:15 am

I'm in disbelief the Zonda wouldnt have a clicking drag star. I can understand the CCC due to frame limitations, but I mean it is Megabass, it should have ALL the options.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:22 am

Daiwa is out of stock of a few key components of the clicker kits, the last few LH kits The Tackle Trap had went to an overseas customer. There are only a couple of the RH kits left in stock, and the website will be updated as soon as Daiwa gets the necessary parts back in stock.

The kit works with multiple stars including Steez, Zillion R, and PXR. Putting a Steez or ZLN star on an Alphas/PXR leaves a large gap around the "frame collar" where the star collar extends toward the frame. It doesn't look as clean as a PXR sized star in my opinion, but it works nonetheless.

As for the cast control cap or mechanical brake knob, the Zillion cap is too large to fit properly on the Alphas/Zonda. The red PXR cap is the "best" option for both fit and necessary clearance of a compatible star.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:48 am

bronzefly wrote:Daiwa is out of stock of a few key components of the clicker kits, the last few LH kits The Tackle Trap had went to an overseas customer. There are only a couple of the RH kits left in stock, and the website will be updated as soon as Daiwa gets the necessary parts back in stock.

The kit works with multiple stars including Steez, Zillion R, and PXR. Putting a Steez or ZLN star on an Alphas/PXR leaves a large gap around the "frame collar" where the star collar extends toward the frame. It doesn't look as clean as a PXR sized star in my opinion, but it works nonetheless.

As for the cast control cap or mechanical brake knob, the Zillion cap is too large to fit properly on the Alphas/Zonda. The red PXR cap is the "best" option for both fit and necessary clearance of a compatible star.
Thanks.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:01 am

The star and cap off the new Alphas SV would probably look okay. The PX Type R cap is going to claaaash unless it's on a Rosso (maybe).

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:27 am

Do I need to change drag stars, or can I keep the Zonda star on after installation? Sorry guys never done this...getting expensive, but if I can reuse the drag star that shaves about $30 off the cost.

Thanks

Never mind. And thanks Gary at TT! And for those curious no it doesn't work.

Guys this reel appears to be a sweet little reel...if I were a righty I would jump on one again in a second, but for us lefty's they're selling about $100 higher, and I would hesitate...going to be an expensive reel after this is all said and done. ](*,)

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:59 am

i'd just fish the zonda stock....hehe. purty reel as is.

Love2Grabbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Love2Grabbass » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:25 pm

:lol: I sold my Rosso red Zonda because it didn't have the clicking drag star... I even looked on tackle trap for the conversion kit and somehow missed it. Ahhh if only this was like a video game and I could reset :lol:

jowo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jowo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:57 pm

Which kit would I get for the zonda, the px or the alphas?
Thx

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:47 pm

jowo wrote:Which kit would I get for the zonda, the px or the alphas?
Thx
Alphas. The Zonda is an Alphas Ito with black paint and a stronger drag.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:05 am

jowo wrote:Which kit would I get for the zonda, the px or the alphas?
Thx
Just to hammer home the point, the end of the drive shaft is different between the Alphas/Zonda and the Pixy. The Pixy driveshaft won't work in the Alphas/Zonda. Based on the description on the Tackle Trap, I believe they're having Pixy driveshafts machined to worked with the Alphas frame. Hence the price difference between the kits. The stock driveshaft is too short to add the clicky parts to it.