How do you define your enthusiasm?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted

What's your ceiling between standard tackle and enthusiast tackle?

$200
5%
$300
17%
$400
18%
$500
8%
My enthusiasm knows no bounds. If it makes me smile when in my hands, it's enthusiast tackle.
52%

Total votes: 184

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How do you define your enthusiasm?

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:07 pm

johnycipo wrote:For the amount of 400 is perfect Hundskola :)

what type of dog is that
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bpettus2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bpettus2 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:56 am

As previously said it’s truly about the hunt . I’ll pay for rarity I love having things only a few people have in this world

noc10
Angler
Angler

Post by noc10 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:42 am

I couldn't choose a monetary category. I went with the "Whatever makes me smile" vote. That is not to say that money is no object. I don't have the money to buy $600 rods and reels, but I do have the money to hunt down some nice gear and upgrade/restore it as I go.

For me it is more of a "I know it when I see it" vote. I prefer Daiwa TDZ, PX68,and Steez reels. I don't know if that is generally considered "enthusiast" gear or not, but I'm pretty enthusiastic about it. For example I might buy a used TDZ for $200 and over time put another $200 or so into refurbing/upgrading it until I have what I want.

It's not a money thing. I have a couple of PX68's that I bought for under $200 that I consider enthusiast gear and the $300 SS SV's that I do not, though by the time I upgrade them to 11/12 bearings, Carbontex, handle, spool and etc., I will.

One has to be an enthusiast these days to even keep the old TDZ reels on the road. Parts are almost gone and the work-arounds have exceeded my skills to do my own maintenance. But for me the TDZ is the best reel ever made, bar none, and that is what makes it enthusiast gear to me while for someone else, that same just makes me a stubborn idiot who is throwing money away on old junk instead of spending it on the latest and greatest tech gear made with the newest materials. But then I'm the kind of guy who would rather have a mint '57' Corvette than a new one.

I think that rods are a lot like Hi-Fi gear. You are happy and even proud of your own system...until you hear something markedly better, at which time your system instantly and irrevocably becomes an aggravation every time that you listen to it.

My first fishing rod was a Tru-Temper telescoping metal bait casting rod given to me by my father in 1964. I now tend to buy St Croix and Abu Villain rods in the $200-300 range. Is that enthusiast gear? I know that I am happy with it as it is and will go out of my way to avoid trying out your Steez AGS or $500 Loomis rod. Why? Because I know that as soon as I would, my own gear will no longer make me happy and I cannot afford $15,000 to replace them.

On the auction site recently I saw somebody trying to sell a huge pile of old Penn Spinfisher "greenie" reels for $15,000. I can't imagine anyone wanting them, but I think it would be difficult to argue that both the guy who collected that pile and whomever buys them is not an enthusiast.
"I have no worries, I'm just a ghost driving a meat puppet"

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:54 am

I look at my purchases as an investment. Then again I’m happy to only have a single rod and reel that I use.

Ripken_240
Angler
Angler

Post by Ripken_240 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:15 pm

I know no limits when it comes to this department. If I have room on my shelf for it to sit then I'll find the money to make it happen.

Oktayne the Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Oktayne the Red » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:02 pm

Well, this looks like as good a place as any for my first post.

So first, is the poll referring to rod AND reel, or what you'd spend on either one?

Truth is I'm happy with what I have, but always want the new shiny. I'd spend it if I had it, but most of it's just a pipe dream.

I have a set of original Calcuttas, a couple of CV-Z Millionaires, a set of Sustain FBs, an Avet, amongst some other stuff (mostly old Newelled Penn stuff). I've got all the firepower I NEED. There's like 30 reels sitting here.

But that Ryoga Shrapnel, Millionaire Basara, Conquest 50, Stella, Exist? Still WANT. I'd pay the prices if I could.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:33 am

Oktayne the Red wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:02 pm
So first, is the poll referring to rod AND reel, or what you'd spend on either one?
Welcome aboard and yes ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Sterfry26
Angler
Angler

Post by Sterfry26 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:50 pm

To me enthusiast tackle is not just a price tag or a Limited tag. Enthusiast is a feel. Its that super light feel, that unique touch, and that refinement. I am completely obsessed with that feeling of picking up something and knowing it is special. Understanding each piece of the technology that makes it tick. To me that refinement is what's makes an enthusiast product.

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:53 am

I shop prices forever but once it's spent, its no longer thought about cause money's gone.

So with that said... Nothing.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:20 pm

I'm happy with a $500 combo as I'm with a $1300 combo. I'm slowly working on my 5th Steez combo. But I guess it's what you can really afford to spend. I'm lucky enough to have a second income that is only mine to do as I want with in reason.
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

Junk Fisherman
Angler
Angler

Post by Junk Fisherman » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:15 pm

I am at the point where I only add one maybe two combos a season. So when I buy something I can really splurge. Now that I know how much better a Steez rod is compared to the Dobyns Champions I have, those or something comparable is all I will buy. I'm not as crazy about reels. Tatulas are good enough for me.