Megabass Valkyrie Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass Valkyrie Rods

Post by Craiger12 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:58 pm

City17Banner wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:43 pm
Craiger12 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:08 pm
Are the listed lengths for these rods with the handle maxed out at full length? Sorry if I missed this as I skimmed through this thread.
Yes, the 71H for example is ~6'9.5" when the handle is fully depressed, and this feature is great for when you are putting the rods back into the rod locker, especially the extra length 7'6" XXH rods.
Thanks for the info. I'm considering the 71MH to be used primarily for jigging LV500s and secondarily for shallow and medium cranking. I like the idea of a faster action rod that still loads a little deeper when fighting a fish with trebles. However, I don't want to give up any sensitivity like with a typical composite rod so I can still feel those strikes as the bait falls. Seems like this might be the rod that will fit the bill.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:09 am

Craiger12 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:58 pm
City17Banner wrote:
Craiger12 wrote:
Are the listed lengths for these rods with the handle maxed out at full length? Sorry if I missed this as I skimmed through this thread.
Yes, the 71H for example is ~6'9.5" when the handle is fully depressed, and this feature is great for when you are putting the rods back into the rod locker, especially the extra length 7'6" XXH rods.
Thanks for the info. I'm considering the 71MH to be used primarily for jigging LV500s and secondarily for shallow and medium cranking. I like the idea of a faster action rod that still loads a little deeper when fighting a fish with trebles. However, I don't want to give up any sensitivity like with a typical composite rod so I can still feel those strikes as the bait falls. Seems like this might be the rod that will fit the bill.
I'm no big lipless guy but I threw a MB one on the rod the other day and certainly felt right. I feel the wiggle on 14# flouro and it rips the bait from the grass cleanly instead of folding the rod over and getting a ball of weeds. It might not be sensitive enough for what you want but only you can tell. When my bait hit the soft silt bottom I watched for slack line rather than any sort of thump. I almost never feel the bottom with any bait with any rod since its muck bottom where I fish.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:10 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:09 am
Craiger12 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:58 pm
City17Banner wrote:
Craiger12 wrote:
I'm no big lipless guy but I threw a MB one on the rod the other day and certainly felt right. I feel the wiggle on 14# flouro and it rips the bait from the grass cleanly instead of folding the rod over and getting a ball of weeds. It might not be sensitive enough for what you want but only you can tell. When my bait hit the soft silt bottom I watched for slack line rather than any sort of thump. I almost never feel the bottom with any bait with any rod since its muck bottom where I fish.
That's great info, thanks. I don't actually fish the LV500 like a traditional lipless. I jig it off the bottom and let it fall exactly like how you would fish a blade bait. Most of the time you just lift into a fish and you're hooked up, but sometimes they clearly hit it on the fall and it's nice to feel the strike so you can set the hook quickly before the spit the bait.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:54 am

Anyone try the 6'8 ML spinning? Still eying the 7'1h and the 7'1MH but also looking at this stick, I know the other spinning model is a jerkbait rod, anyone know what this excels at?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:33 am

Don't know if I mentioned this yet but the last outing with the 76XXH I was pitching a 2.5 oz swimbait to shore with low hanging branches and it pitched that bait like my flipping stick does a 3/8 oz Texas rig. Crazy rod.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:00 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:33 am
Don't know if I mentioned this yet but the last outing with the 76XXH I was pitching a 2.5 oz swimbait to shore with low hanging branches and it pitched that bait like my flipping stick does a 3/8 oz Texas rig. Crazy rod.
Damn. :shock:
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:21 am

Hey everyone. I'm looking to get the 7'1MH and the 7'4H...anyone use these? I'm thinking I will use the 7'1 for buzz bait and chatterbaits. Then the 7'4 for flippin/pitchin, swimbaits, and alabama rig. Any thoughts? I honestly don't do much flippin/pitchin, swimbaits or alabama so thought I could try to include all of these in one rod. I know it's not perfect for all of these techniques...but can this rod do these? Do you know a rod that could do these three techniques decently? Just trying to reduce the amount of rods I carry. Thanks!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:28 pm

I've fished the MH with buzzbaits and chatterbaits and it did well with both. It's an awesome reaction bait rod. Does well with cranks too. It's my 1/2 oz squarebill rod when it's not throwing a chatterbait.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:30 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:28 pm
I've fished the MH with buzzbaits and chatterbaits and it did well with both. It's an awesome reaction bait rod. Does well with cranks too. It's my 1/2 oz squarebill rod when it's not throwing a chatterbait.
Thanks! Anyone have experience with the 7’4H?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:53 pm

Bump...how is the 7'4" H + with 1-2 oz wakebaits?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."