Megabass Valkyrie Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Valkyrie Rods

Post by Cristo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:45 pm

Goldie thanks for the info keep it coming as I'm really interested in the 7'6" with spiral guides I believe the model you are talking about. I am really digging that one in particular as stated before :big grin:

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:25 am

goldrod wrote:Anyone using the 7’2” heavy?
Looking for some feedback
My friend has one arriving today from Gary. I'll update shortly.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:30 am

goldrod wrote:Anyone using the 7’2” heavy?
Looking for some feedback
(He ended up with the 7'4" VKC74H+ not the 7'2"H)

The rod is light and looks pretty. I own a NRX and MB rods look way more expensive cosmetically. My friend has it paired with a Tranx 201 at the moment. The rod feels more powerful than some of the other rods he has for combat purposes in areas where we fish (So. Fl), but the taper on it is much better than the rods used for the same lure weight range.

It doesn't feel over powered based on what he told me (handles up to 3oz baits). He has a favorite Big Sexy and Favorite Frog rod (both XH) that he often uses for the same purposes (up to 2oz). He did mention that he likes the handle adjustment, he uses it when switching reels for balance or fishing styles depending on the bait. I saw him rotate the handle to make the adjustments fairly easily.

It's his do all rod for pond hopping. He throws jigs, heavy jerk baits, JDM swimbaits (Elements Davinci, Bombadas), etc. He was using the rod to throw a trash fish with a weighted owner beast hook yesterday. He hooked up with a monster in the pads, but it came off. I think he will try a braid equipped reel on it because with the taper of the rod and the stretch of the izorline he had on didn't allow him to get a good enough hookset with that bait. He also tripped on small decline in the terrain and nearly fell over because we were fishing in the dark around a golf course so that didn't help to keep the fish pinned either. He has no complaints on what he spent on the rod, it's his first Megabass Rod and his most expensive rod out of the many brands he owns.
Last edited by _diggy_ on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:18 am

Diggy good stuff my man thank you for sharing I am certainly inching ever so closer to the XXH 8-)

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:20 am

Cristo wrote:Diggy good stuff my man thank you for sharing I am certainly inching ever so closer to the XXH 8-)
If I were to buy one, it would be the XXH one too, especially based on where we were fishing.

For the record I goofed. He has the 7'4" H+ (VKC74H+) not the 7'2"

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:51 pm

That's 7'4" sounds super rad, but honestly spiral guides with MB is a treat IMHO plus I want something close to my Destroyer SBSD and the 7'6" XXH sounds like a close match :-k

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:46 pm

_diggy_ wrote:
Cristo wrote:Diggy good stuff my man thank you for sharing I am certainly inching ever so closer to the XXH 8-)
If I were to buy one, it would be the XXH one too, especially based on where we were fishing.

For the record I goofed. He has the 7'4" H+ (VKC74H+) not the 7'2"
Sir I will echo Cristos' sentiments. Many thanks for your input.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:04 pm

This dude is ready for warmer weather. Haven't been able to use it a lot yet but so far I love it, might be the most balanced combo I have
Attachments
VAL.jpg
VAL.jpg (23.55 KiB) Viewed 8730 times

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Sun May 05, 2019 9:30 am

DrPerf wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:51 am
I just purchased the 7'2" Heavy and trying to decide if I am going to keep it or trade for the slightly lighter 7'1" Heavy (216g vs. 183g).

If I decide to keep the 7'2", I should get out with it later this week.

Doc
While the 7'2" is a great rod, after a couple of trips it was clear the combined weight of the rod/reel/lure was aggravating issues with my hand/wrist, limiting the amount of time I could use the combination.

I decided to try the 7'1" Heavy for the weight difference and after using the rod for two trips, it is clear that I can fish longer with that rod with less pain/discomfort. And the spiral wrap is an additional bonus.

Doc

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:06 am

Just had Valkyrie 6'11 mh show up yesterday. The rod looks beautiful. Balance's right on the front of the locknut with the but in the standard setting. I was a little nervous with the weight because specs say it is a 197g but it certainly doesn't feel like that at all. Hopefully I can get it on the water soon with a t-rig and a swimjig and I will give a follow up.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed May 22, 2019 6:39 pm

poot04 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:06 am
Just had Valkyrie 6'11 mh show up yesterday. The rod looks beautiful. Balance's right on the front of the locknut with the but in the standard setting. I was a little nervous with the weight because specs say it is a 197g but it certainly doesn't feel like that at all. Hopefully I can get it on the water soon with a t-rig and a swimjig and I will give a follow up.
Awaiting situational report.. Please tell more ..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:39 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:39 pm
poot04 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:06 am
Awaiting situational report.. Please tell more ..
My best chance at a shot to play this week is Sunday, hopefully. Just from a little bending and playing around with it, I am very optimistic. Something about a megabass med-fast, med heavy just feels awesome in my hands. I love my javelin and hoping that I have that same love for my new rod.

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Sun May 26, 2019 3:26 pm

Got out on the water with 6’11 mh Valkyrie today, the rod is very nice. I only fished it with a 3/8 jig with a Flappin hog trailer but I did catch 5 with it. Nothing big but the rod is very sensitive and has a sweet taper to it. With a zillion sv the rod balances under the reel. Anyone looking for a medium cover, tight quarters rod I strongly suggest you give it a look.

Shie
Angler
Angler

Post by Shie » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:19 am

Anyone else have experience with the 7’6? Looking to throw some lighter to medium swimbaits on it. 3 oz is the heaviest I think I’d go. Thought the rod would be nice for moving baits due to the fiberglass/carbon blend. Any feedback would be awesome

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:50 pm

Would the 74H+ be any good as a deep cranking stick for DD22 DT20 and up?