Megabass Valkyrie Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Megabass Valkyrie Rods

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:46 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:30 pm
I'm going to have to nab the MH. I always wanted a nice glass stick for those baits and more than one source says that rod is the standout in the lineup
I do use the 71 h for these applications. It fishes much like a regular carbon blank to me with the positive attributes of glass. It has a nice bend. I prefer a stouter stick for these applications as I’m usually winching fish out of cover where a fish. Just the same, the 71h does not feel like too much. It’s a great stick. The Valkyries just have that old school megabass appeal to me.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:16 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:46 am
LowRange wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:30 pm
I'm going to have to nab the MH. I always wanted a nice glass stick for those baits and more than one source says that rod is the standout in the lineup
I do use the 71 h for these applications. It fishes much like a regular carbon blank to me with the positive attributes of glass. It has a nice bend. I prefer a stouter stick for these applications as I’m usually winching fish out of cover where a fish. Just the same, the 71h does not feel like too much. It’s a great stick. The Valkyries just have that old school megabass appeal to me.
Completely agree about the "old school megabass appeal".
My 71H is paired with a morethan PE 1000XHL-TW and use it for MB Dark Sleepers, jigs, larger paddletails and small/moderate swimbaits.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:15 pm

They are simply Megabass beautiful in person. I still feel like the 71MH is the "winner" of the series out of all those I've been fortunate to fish. I am no fan of glass or glass blended rods in general, but this one has that "it" factor and has earned a permanent spot in my rotation.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:21 pm

Got the MH rod in. Of the two I have it's the most "normal" the 76XXH has those spiral wraps and that adjustable grip is extreme on the 76XXH going from flipping stick short to big bait stick long. The 76XXH is enormously heavy but floats in your hand. It can actually balance out slightly better than the 71MH. While the 72MH is ordinary or normal compared to the exotic 76XXH it seems to have a great taper. Not sure if I'll use the adjustable handle on be 71MH all that much. On the 76XXH the range of adjustment is huge. Not so much on the 71MH. I'll probably set ans forget but it is nice to shrink it up for spinnerbaits roll casting to shoreline and then lengthen it to bomb 3/8 oz dark sleepers off shore or something.

I haven't fished it yet but it seems fast under light load and then you see it become more moderate under heavy loads. I bet it casts like a fast graphite stick but fishes like a more moderate glass stick. That's the hope anyways. Cal mentioned a dual action in some higher end old MB sticks. I think the Valkaryie is a lineup of rods that does just this by design. This is my intial thoughts on these rods having zero hours on the water with them since they were both bought on the off season so take this with a grain of salt. I have really high hopes for these. Going to throw spinnerbaits/chatterbaits on the 71MH and punch and big bait with the 76XXH.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 21, 2022 4:08 pm

After a bit of use I can say that the MH is awesome for chatterbaits. I have been throwing 3/8 and 1/2 oz on 14# flouro. Initially I thought a 1/2 oz chatter was too much for the rod but it was the 1st time throwing the rod and I wasn't used to the soft fast tip. It's awesome and casts beautifully.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:30 pm

Has anyone tried either of the spinning rods in the series? Looking for a new high end all around spinning rod to pair with a '22 stella. Local shop has the ML valkyrie in I believe and it looks sweet. This will be replacing my orochi XX ronin which will be relegated to jerkbait only rod. So far the only things that really stick out to me are the poison glorious rods, these and the new p5 addermine.

JS8588
Angler
Angler

Post by JS8588 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:51 pm

I have a Valkyrie World Expedition XXH sitting on my doorstep at home (just delivered today). I'll give my opinion on it after testing it on some Florida blacktips and who knows what else next month.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:12 pm

Anyone tried this particular model?

https://www.megabass.co.jp/site/product ... 8-96mh-55/

At this length and at 267gram would it be heavy/ tip heavy/ tiring to fish?

I'm tempted to try this but wondering if glass composite blank is good for such length compared to graphite. Thoughs?

Do your other longer Valkyrie Expedtion baitcast models feel heavy/ tip heavy?

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:50 pm

kakaryan wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:12 pm
Anyone tried this particular model?

https://www.megabass.co.jp/site/product ... 8-96mh-55/

At this length and at 267gram would it be heavy/ tip heavy/ tiring to fish?

I'm tempted to try this but wondering if glass composite blank is good for such length compared to graphite. Thoughs?

Do your other longer Valkyrie Expedtion baitcast models feel heavy/ tip heavy?
I have a VKC-78H-4 that balance slightly in front of the reel seat right where the eva starts with a zillion TW hd 1000

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:01 pm

I'll add that I do adjust the handle on MH a fair bit. I'll set it short and forget it in spring for chatterbaits and spinnerbaits casting towards the shore then extend it when spending time making long casts on open water. I threw a DD22 on it the other day and maxed out the handle as a deep diving crankbait rod. It handled the deep diver well for a short rod.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:47 pm

Chiming in to say that I have really been enjoying the MH Valkaryie with 3/4 and 1 oz cranks. It handles its weight range really well and I know I've pushed it over 1 oz and it still did great. Just a really good reaction bait stick and it keeps fish pinned.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:32 pm

I have some time behind the 76XXH to give some feedback. Basically it's amazing. It's not the awesome tool that the 71MH is but its a REALLY cool stick.

When I say it's not the amazing tool the MH is I mean that stick is so good as a MH its hard to stack up. That MH will launch a 1 oz deep crank that will make a dedicated DD crank stick envious yet turn around be be a really good 3/8 oz squarebill rod... and a bladed jig rod... for 1/2 oz bladed jigs even. What a stick.

The 76XXH

As a punching stick: I have done exactly one outing puching with it through some seriously matted pond weed. Like a 2 feet thick. I was punching with 1.5 oz weight and did for a few hours and didn't get wore out by the big heavy stick because it is so incredibley well balanced. 8 hours is another story though. I'm not sure how well it will do at prolonged periods of punching but so far I love it.

As a big bait stick: I love being able to adjust the handle to my prefered length and this is probably the best balanced stick on the planet. It's amazing. I like extending the handle for big baits and working edges of mats then collapsing and and punching mats. Despite weighing 13 oz it will float tip up and make working baits with the rod so much easier than my 5.3 oz Wild Side when in the kayak. Balance trumps weight. These two rods have convinced me of this. As far as casting big baits goes the rod does pretty well. It's a faster rod than what I am used to with the Hyuga 72H and Super Destruction which are slower and more buttery in casting but the XXH Valkaryie has some serious backbone compared to those sticks but still has some of that glass give. I can whip the other slower sticks and not be punished but the gigga Valkaryie wants to throw baits down at the water when not casting with good technique. It really wants to do the work with a bend and send type cast. I need to fish it more with close in work to see how it does but I think the two shorter rods and the surprising accurate Super Destruction are superior for accurate casting big baits. I like slower rods for accurate casting big baits around dock and bsnks for some reason. Just works for me. So far it is my preferred line through and big single hook bait rod for open water.

The X factor: its weird but the XXH Valkaryie and Zillion 1516 HD make for a super high end big bait combo. It's hard to put a finger on but its like the 13 oz that float in your hand adds a sense of weight or quality without perceived weight fighting your wrist. Heavy in a pleasant way? Also the small reel (for a big bait reel) with the smooth and cool to the touch aluminum frame and side plate with glossy paint make the tactile feel decidedly high end.
Last edited by LowRange on Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:39 pm

Also the MH is not a good plastics rod. I made it pull double duty so I could fish plastics after cranks without dragging another rod along and it got the job done. Casts great and sets the hook great but is disconnected from the bait.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:01 pm

Damn, it's getting more difficult to not want to order the MH Valkyrie.. ](*,)
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:39 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:01 pm
Damn, it's getting more difficult to not want to order the MH Valkyrie.. ](*,)
Just give in on this one Van. The Valkyrie 71MH qualifies as one of the "legacy" rods in the Megabass line up in my collection.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap