Megabass Valkyrie Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Valkyrie Rods

Post by LowRange » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:17 pm

76 XXH Valkaryie punching stick swimbait use update:

It's a punching stick that can handle big baits but it's not a purpose built big bait stick and you can tell. I threw a 2 oz Savage Gear 3D 5" Bluegill and the rod struggled. It will cast it super accurately with a cast where the rod is swong across the chest parallel to the water with a push and pull cast. It is very accurate despite the 7'6" length and the adjustable handle lets you set it to your prefered length. Unsurprisingly it pitches a 2oz swimbait super well. Where it struggles is casting distance. It casts like 2 oz is too light and wants to throw it down at the water forcing you to release high to compensate. It genuinely casts like 2 oz is too light. It's casts the 2 oz bait very, very well in short highly accurate casts but it really bad at distance like it won't load the rod properly. After fishing a 2.6, 3 and 4 oz bait i think 2.6 oz is the minimum needed to make a long cast. Anything lighter and it wants to shoot the bait down at the water. It handled 4oz so well I am really curious to that the real upper limit is. It might be a 6 oz capable rod. Don't know yet.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:59 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:39 am
dragon1 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:01 pm
Damn, it's getting more difficult to not want to order the MH Valkyrie.. ](*,)
Just give in on this one Van. The Valkyrie 71MH qualifies as one of the "legacy" rods in the Megabass line up in my collection.
Yeah Mango...I'm getting that feeling for sure. How would you compare it to say the Daiwa BLX 7'4" MH "Regular Bass"
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:22 am

dragon1 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:59 pm
bronzefly wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
Just give in on this one Van. The Valkyrie 71MH qualifies as one of the "legacy" rods in the Megabass line up in my collection.
Yeah Mango...I'm getting that feeling for sure. How would you compare it to say the Daiwa BLX 7'4" MH "Regular Bass"
There's another great rod, highly underrated that BLX 74MHRB! They have a very similar action, a nice moderate flex, but the BLX is noticeably more powerful.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:43 am

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:22 am
dragon1 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:59 pm
bronzefly wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
Perfect!

There's another great rod, highly underrated that BLX 74MHRB! They have a very similar action, a nice moderate flex, but the BLX is noticeably more powerful.
Perfecto!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:17 am

I'm looking hard at the Valkyrie 71MH for 3/8oz-1/2oz jackhammers. How is the sensitivity of this stick...can you easily feel when the blade is not thumping?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:32 am

Gone Phishin wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:17 am
I'm looking hard at the Valkyrie 71MH for 3/8oz-1/2oz jackhammers. How is the sensitivity of this stick...can you easily feel when the blade is not thumping?
Get it - my favorite in the Valkyrie series and has earned a spot in my permanent rotation! It is surprisingly sensitive for a blended rod, and absolutely no issue with blade movement detection. The action and power make it one of the best JackHammer rods I've ever used.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:37 am

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:32 am
Gone Phishin wrote:
Get it - my favorite in the Valkyrie series and has earned a spot in my permanent rotation! It is surprisingly sensitive for a blended rod, and absolutely no issue with blade movement detection. The action and power make it one of the best JackHammer rods I've ever used.
Sweetness; thank you.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:22 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:32 am
Gone Phishin wrote:
what are your thoughts on the spiral wrapped heavy valkyrie?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:38 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:22 pm
There are two spiral wrapped Valkyrie series casting rods, the 71H and the 76XXH. I've never been a big fan of spiral wrapped guides, though I understand why some folks do like them. There is no doubt that anything in the Valkyrie series is well built, art in motion, and well thought out so that simply exists. Whether the specific length, action, and power suits your preferences and specific needs is the ultimate question. In the case of the 71H, versatility is built into that model. The well executed, quick, easy handle length change option takes the 71H from a walk the dog Vixen or Super Spook rod, to a flip pitch rod, or a short handled moderate to heavy cover frog rod with a couple of twists of the handle and a bait change. I'm still in love with the 71MH in this series and I can't seem to shake that after all this time! i should post a pic of mine paired up with its mate at some point!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:11 am

Gone Phishin wrote:
Yes.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:51 am

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:38 pm
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:22 pm
There are two spiral wrapped Valkyrie series casting rods, the 71H and the 76XXH. I've never been a big fan of spiral wrapped guides, though I understand why some folks do like them. There is no doubt that anything in the Valkyrie series is well built, art in motion, and well thought out so that simply exists. Whether the specific length, action, and power suits your preferences and specific needs is the ultimate question. In the case of the 71H, versatility is built into that model. The well executed, quick, easy handle length change option takes the 71H from a walk the dog Vixen or Super Spook rod, to a flip pitch rod, or a short handled moderate to heavy cover frog rod with a couple of twists of the handle and a bait change. I'm still in love with the 71MH in this series and I can't seem to shake that after all this time! i should post a pic of mine paired up with its mate at some point!
I've been trying to decide between the 71H and the 71MH and the 71H sounds exactly like what I need for the kayak other than the price. Making my decision even more difficult.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:23 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
I prefer the heavy for chatter baits. I have mined paired with a morethan.
I also have to 7 med heavy and I have been experimenting with shortening the handle and using it as a jerk bait rod in a pinch .
i dont have an assessment of yet though.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:27 am

The MH is a pretty good crankbait rod too. I've thrown 3/8 oz square bills with the handle short and extended the handle and used it to throw deep diver up to 1 oz. It handles the weight range well but maybe feels a little overgunned with a 3/8 oz crank but does 1 oz really well. Its a MH that handles the upper end of its weight rating well Awesome rod. I've had it in my kayak all season.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:08 pm

Are the listed lengths for these rods with the handle maxed out at full length? Sorry if I missed this as I skimmed through this thread.

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:43 pm

Craiger12 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:08 pm
Are the listed lengths for these rods with the handle maxed out at full length? Sorry if I missed this as I skimmed through this thread.
Yes, the 71H for example is ~6'9.5" when the handle is fully depressed, and this feature is great for when you are putting the rods back into the rod locker, especially the extra length 7'6" XXH rods.
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS