Megabass Valkyrie Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Valkyrie Rods

Post by Cristo » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:30 pm

LowRange the 7'4" H+ IMHO is a bigger bait blank. You definitely would be suited to power down, but I feel it could do the job just not for those bills even if they are pulling hard. I of course don’t have experience with that rod with that presentation so take that with a grain of salt. I see it being more of an 8xd or 10xd style of crank being utilized with this rod. It is a powerful stick I chucked 8" Triple Trout and felt I could easily go heavier.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:33 pm

DeesnaytheAngler,

I had the 7'6" XXH for a good while and utilized it's power to throw my 8" Bucca offtries!, those come in around 3.75oz. That rod is t*tties!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:14 am

Cristo wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:33 pm
DeesnaytheAngler,

I had the 7'6" XXH for a good while and utilized it's power to throw my 8" Bucca offtries!, those come in around 3.75oz. That rod is t*tties!
Thanks but I ended up with an excellent condition Slant Bridge Super Destruction for my big moving bait duties and I already have an X4 711 for 1.5 oz cranks. Between the two all of my mag deep crank and swimbait duties should be covered. Still eyeing a Levante Levianthan for punching and bigger swimbaits or something like that. Heading down the power game path. I'm thinking something like

Current sticks

X4 711 and LIN10 Black Jungle with the wild 1016 spool for all my deep cranking up to 1.5 oz, off shore dark sleeper use 3/8+ and some long casting spinnerbaits and swim jigs over weedbeds. Bass boat only.

Gen 1 Orochi xx Perfect Pitch with IP68 and HLC spool. HLC for frogs and stock for flouro and pitch skipping jigs. Bass boat only.

Hyuga 72H and Zillion HD with stock and Catalina TW spool. Kayak stick for all things mag heavy and moving. Big frogs, plopper 110, 130, 8" magslows, beast hook paddle tails, big spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. Magnum DSR. Kayak and boat.

SB Super Destruction ans Z200H for much of the same as the Hyuga but in a longer stick with a bigger upper limit. Bass boat use only primary swimbait stick.

Future sticks:

Levante Leviathan either gen 1 or 2 with the Zillion HD. Stiock spool and big mono for big baits and Catalina TW spool and braid for punching. Bass boat and kayak use.

13 Fishing budget Swimbait stick and Tatula 200. Stock spool for big mono and big baits and Ray's 200 spool for punching with braid. Kayak use only because all punching I do is from the kayak.

I discovered a preference for braid and glass ripping traps out of grass this spring. Used to use a Zodias 72M and flouro but not going back after experiencing braid and glass. Even made a long bomber Alphas HLC spool out of a Zonda spool and HLC spring. I'm in the market for an enthusiast glass stick or a composite that matches the characteristics. Was looking at the BLX rods but ar $400 they cross shop with Valkyries.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:39 am

I could also splurge on the76 XXH Valkaryie and use it with the Zillion HD as swimbait and punching stick. Shorten the handle when punching and lengthen it to cast a swimbait. Don't like the idea of bringing a stick that pricey on the kayak but I still do it as long as the other combos are literal trash tier that can be allow to sink when I grab and chomp down on the one good stick and swim to shore.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:43 pm

Just bring it on the yak :big grin: I've had at least up to 2,000k MSRP if not more in a yak and unfortunately I've lost a good amount flipping a yak in A Storm of all places, lost a X4 BP and a scorpion XT 1501-7 once gambling on the wrong night and being caught short early in my career.Now if I feel like danger is imminent or anything I have little leashes that all quickly connect to my rods. I say the more money I can put into a yak the better :P :lol:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:13 pm

I really like the valkyrie rods
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:08 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:13 pm
I really like the valkyrie rods
+1 :big grin:

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:14 pm

Cristo wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:43 pm
Just bring it on the yak :big grin: I've had at least up to 2,000k MSRP if not more in a yak ...
I routinely have triple that amount in my kayak floating bony remote smallmouth rivers. Ram Mounts and my Jackson Big Tuna help. Never an issue.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:36 pm

Cristo wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:33 pm
DeesnaytheAngler,

What was you opinion on the 76XXH? I want one as a general purpose punch, swim bait, wake bait, a-rig and maybe mag size deep cranks. I already have an old SBSD on the way but want something that can punch but have some cross over with the SBSD.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:33 pm

My opinion?? Holy smokes if it isn't known by now. I absolutely love the Valkyrie line in all three generations :big grin: With that being stated that is what the 7'6" XXH was designed for. Since most of our reservoirs don't have slop and haven't had it in quite some time my obvious uses for it we're big baits such as The 8in Bull Shad specifically for a very long time I threw on that particular rod, I never got into real heavy Plastics with it but I think the heaviest Plastics I was throwing were stc 6"(with 10/0 beast hooks) and 68 specials . I'm more of a set forget kind of guy so I didn't get into the gadgetry of the adjustable handle although it's a neat trick not necessarily something that pushed me over the top for these rods. To me the blanks are some of the finest they might be heavy in some people's hands of course with the overall design aspects especially with the first generation rod with the adjustable handle I believe accounting for a majority of the weight. It is buttery-smooth on the cast depending on how much weight you loaded up with but it definitely has the power curve to absolutely handle punching duties in my opinion but with that being said it's going to be relative to what your rig overall weight is going to be and what you're comfortable throwing but as far as hooking into fish absolutely no worries and it's not herky-jerky either very smooth I think punching guys would really really like this particular rod!

I wish I didn't get rid of mine but that is the way, so in short you should pick that up while it is available 8-)

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:37 pm

I lik the shorties the the first generation World Expeditions brought. The omnipresent Mr. Wood is arranging of course for the 6'1" all Eva handle version to be sent to my squad and she will see as much action as a favorite of mine in the 6'6" all cork version :big grin:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:57 pm

Cristo wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:33 pm
My opinion?? Holy smokes if it isn't known by now. I absolutely love the Valkyrie line in all three generations :big grin: With that being stated that is what the 7'6" XXH was designed for. Since most of our reservoirs don't have slop and haven't had it in quite some time my obvious uses for it we're big baits such as The 8in Bull Shad specifically for a very long time I threw on that particular rod, I never got into real heavy Plastics with it but I think the heaviest Plastics I was throwing were stc 6"(with 10/0 beast hooks) and 68 specials . I'm more of a set forget kind of guy so I didn't get into the gadgetry of the adjustable handle although it's a neat trick not necessarily something that pushed me over the top for these rods. To me the blanks are some of the finest they might be heavy in some people's hands of course with the overall design aspects especially with the first generation rod with the adjustable handle I believe accounting for a majority of the weight. It is buttery-smooth on the cast depending on how much weight you loaded up with but it definitely has the power curve to absolutely handle punching duties in my opinion but with that being said it's going to be relative to what your rig overall weight is going to be and what you're comfortable throwing but as far as hooking into fish absolutely no worries and it's not herky-jerky either very smooth I think punching guys would really really like this particular rod!

I wish I didn't get rid of mine but that is the way, so in short you should pick that up while it is available 8-)
You have or had a Super Destroyer too right? How are they different? I imagine the Valkaryie is more orientated to single hook with some cross over into trebbles and the SD is a full on big trebble hook bait stick? I have an old Slant Bridge SD on the way. I know it's no punching shaft so it's going to be the "big things that move" bass boat stick. Not thrilled about dropping $500 for the 76XXH Valkaryie but that telescopic handle has sold me for both punching and big bait use. Two rods in one. I want to wait a season to get one but by then they will be unobtanioum. What was the weight like on the 76XXH? Did it balance tip up with the handle shortened?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:15 am

I have a bantam Mgl on mine and it’s harmony for punching
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:01 am

Ordered the 76XXH. Going to put the Black Jungle on it and punch with a 1016 spool and braid then use big flouro or mono with stock strong braking profile spool to throw weedless big baits. It will be a little line cap challenged for non braid as a narrow 34mm spool reel. Worst case scenario I use the stock spool with samurai braid for big baits and punching. Also got the distance tuned Monoblock spool to throw in the mix too.

This allows the Zillion HD to get moved to the X4 711 where it looks better anyways. Just got to ditch those buzzy 8:1s for a 6 gear ratio and replace the purple lock plate. Maybe something like the stock spool with 14# flouro and the Catalia TW spool with braid for big deep cranks with the HD spool and all around use with the Catalina. It's a multi tool of a rod.

The Hyuga can get a used 7 gear Tatula HD Custom and swap over the red parts to purple and trade for or just buy a black Tatula 200 spool for non braid and a Ray's 200 spool for braid.

This also places the reel value in line with the rod value. Somehow this seems right. Perhaps I'm in the spectrum.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:22 pm

Got the 76XXH in. It's very heavy but the balance is perfect all the way around. Even with the handle shortened it the rod floats. I like the softness in the taper too. Should be an awesome all around monster duty stick. It strikes me a a swimbait rod that you can punch with rather than a punching rod you can throw swimbaits on. Planning on taking this one kayaking in the summer and punching, dragging frogs and throwing rats. I definitely see myself shortening the handle to punch then lengthening it once a big bait is tied on.