New Megabass Destroyers

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New Megabass Destroyers

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:59 pm

A few disjointed thoughts on the Bait Finesse after 3-4 hours and 3-4 bass:

1) It casts like a dream. Admittedly it is replacing a ML/XF rod, so it will be better just in terms of taper, but above and beyond that, this thing is so so nice to make casts with. Distance and accuracy are both great and as much as I hate the looks of the dumb little mini-marshmallow butt grip, it's easy to grab and doesn't feel awful for two hand casts. It's even pretty great for one hand casting, which surprises me given the length. It's not like whipping around a little 6" short-butt rod around, but it feels natural enough that it's not a stunt to do it and is going to be helpful with some of the aggressive shoreline cover I deal with. This leads into my second thought.

2) This rod feels shorter in length then it actually is. Don't know how to express it clearly, but it's the damnedest thing. It's got like a 6'4" soul or something.

3) I feel that the weight rating is shifted a bit too high. It loads and casts 1/4oz like a dream and a 1/2oz crankbait felt a bit overloaded. Oddly the rod had more power than I expected so idk maybe I am nuts.

Overall I am really loving it and it's going to be ideal for the "jig/worm fishing with the odd moving bait, fishing shitty little suburban ponds/lakes for 1-2lb bass" role I bought it for. It's super fun to fish and makes those little bass a ton of fun.

Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse Angler » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:09 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:59 pm

1) It casts like a dream. Admittedly it is replacing a ML/XF rod, so it will be better just in terms of taper, but above and beyond that, this thing is so so nice to make casts with. Distance and accuracy are both great and as much as I hate the looks of the dumb little mini-marshmallow butt grip, it's easy to grab and doesn't feel awful for two hand casts. It's even pretty great for one hand casting, which surprises me given the length. It's not like whipping around a little 6" short-butt rod around, but it feels natural enough that it's not a stunt to do it and is going to be helpful with some of the aggressive shoreline cover I deal with. This leads into my second thought.

2) This rod feels shorter in length then it actually is. Don't know how to express it clearly, but it's the damnedest thing. It's got like a 6'4" soul or something.

3) I feel that the weight rating is shifted a bit too high. It loads and casts 1/4oz like a dream and a 1/2oz crankbait felt a bit overloaded. Oddly the rod had more power than I expected so idk maybe I am nuts.

Overall I am really loving it and it's going to be ideal for the "jig/worm fishing with the odd moving bait, fishing shitty little suburban ponds/lakes for 1-2lb bass" role I bought it for. It's super fun to fish and makes those little bass a ton of fun.
That’s pretty good to hear regarding the bait finesse. Just scored a px68 today and needing to get another rod. Currently have my type r with an i’ze finesse spool on a super eiger. Was looking into this rod as a complimentary setup. Seems like it may fit the ticket if I can find another finesse spool. How does it load and feel with 3/16oz baits especially closer to 5 grams or so?

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:11 am

Finesse Angler wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:09 pm
Houndfish wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:59 pm

That’s pretty good to hear regarding the bait finesse. Just scored a px68 today and needing to get another rod. Currently have my type r with an i’ze finesse spool on a super eiger. Was looking into this rod as a complimentary setup. Seems like it may fit the ticket if I can find another finesse spool. How does it load and feel with 3/16oz baits especially closer to 5 grams or so?
The P5 Bait finesse was my first P5 Destroyer rod. Was not my last. I to am using it with a tricked out PX68L. No problem casting 3/16. I mainly use the rod for 3" single hook swimbaits and love it. Makes a nice wacky rigged rod to. Rod performs great with small cranks to. Very nice rod.